Author Topic: Scorchio...  (Read 43291 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Scorchio...
« Reply #575 on: 25 July, 2022, 11:31:53 am »
If you were in E14 you wouldn't be going shopping for a long time on that basis!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #576 on: 25 July, 2022, 02:40:21 pm »
Was 34°C a while ago then we got just enough rain to turn the air into fudge. Still 32.5°.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #577 on: 25 July, 2022, 03:00:20 pm »
No rain yet in E17, though the Wind! managed to be a headwind in both directions on Larrington Towers Road ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #578 on: 25 July, 2022, 03:02:03 pm »
24°C here in arctic Saarfend.

The Met Office tells me that there's a 40% chance of rain around 6pm. We know what that means.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #579 on: 25 July, 2022, 04:35:48 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/25/uk-drought-extreme-heat-dry

After the heat, more heat, and prolonged drought.

Small Tenuous Claim to Fame: Prof Chris Binnie, quoted in that article, has an award named after him for innovations in the water industry. My brother managed a project which won the award, probably about 15 years ago. Said brother retired in 2010. The project was to take the outfall from treated sewage, give it further treatment with UV, and then bung it back into the river Chelmer, upstream from the point at which it was extracted (Langford, I believe).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #580 on: 25 July, 2022, 05:00:50 pm »
That probably means it will pour down all this weekend when I'm camping!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #581 on: 25 July, 2022, 05:03:00 pm »
Well I'm just back from Wales, and it's definitely still wet.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #582 on: 03 August, 2022, 04:46:33 pm »
Another 30°C day for us today. Still 30 now, according to my machine.

« Reply #583 on: 03 August, 2022, 05:07:07 pm »
My shade mounted sensor is currently showing 29.°C which feels positively comfortable,
when compared to the 42.5°C it was showing a couple of weeks ago.

« Reply #584 on: 03 August, 2022, 09:01:13 pm »
Our neighbour (a lawyer) is celebrating the impending hosepipe ban by watering the garden like there's no tomorrow. Literally, within moments of  the ban being announced the first thing was to leave an open hose running into the boundary hedge, it's been maximum sprinkler since then.

Obviously can't do anything but disapproving looks until the ban takes effect.

« Reply #585 on: 03 August, 2022, 09:05:45 pm »
Our neighbour (a lawyer) is celebrating the impending hosepipe ban by watering the garden like there's no tomorrow. Literally, within moments of  the ban being announced the first thing was to leave an open hose running into the boundary hedge, it's been maximum sprinkler since then.

Name one other commercial service where you take money from your customers and then tell them they cannot use the service.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #586 on: 03 August, 2022, 10:42:01 pm »
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #587 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:27:26 pm »

Copper nails in the dark.

You know it makes sense.

Or an immortal zip to the leech?
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #588 on: 04 August, 2022, 07:14:22 am »
36° forecast for here today. Forget what we had yesterday, 34° or 35°.  We kept it down to 26-27° indoors.

ETA: 30°C at 10 am.

ian

« Reply #589 on: 04 August, 2022, 09:23:23 am »

Once they've saturated the soil there's no point, even then it will just percolate away and evaporate rather quickly.

I do periodically give the garden a watering in the evening, we did lose a couple of trees the other summer when I decided to let things fend for themselves. I don't understand the people who put sprinklers on for hours every day.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #590 on: 04 August, 2022, 03:13:59 pm »
38°C on north side, 28°C in my office.

« Reply #591 on: 04 August, 2022, 08:06:04 pm »

Once they've saturated the soil there's no point, even then it will just percolate away and evaporate rather quickly.

I do periodically give the garden a watering in the evening, we did lose a couple of trees the other summer when I decided to let things fend for themselves. I don't understand the people who put sprinklers on for hours every day.

He's still at it, I think he's trying to make a point, First thing we did when he moved in was to complain our scotty would bark when his big, unneutured  labradors came to the fence and their barking would wake him up. Our dog has since died, and his dogs are still barking....

Should've posted the above in rant, TBH.

Separately, we've ordered a couple of large water butts and a pump, idea being to save bath/shower water for use around the garden. 10 year old son was roped in to assist with the online search, so he could have a snigger while searching  for said items.

« Reply #592 on: 08 August, 2022, 07:54:52 pm »
29 forecast for the South East and London tomorrow, then getting hotter each day, reaching 34 on Friday and Saturday.

Also easterly wind instead of the usual westerly.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #593 on: 08 August, 2022, 08:00:33 pm »
Some of the oldies in Llandysul are even thinking about undoing the top button of their big coat.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #594 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:01:13 am »
It's not going to be anywhere near those temperatures round here but I still bet it'll be taps aff.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #595 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:10:15 am »
In Swindon, men wear shorts and women wear sun tops if the sun is out.  This is completely unrelated to temperature.  It happens in winter when it's below freezing.  I have even seen bare feet and flipflops when it has been sunny with snow flurries.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #596 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:18:20 am »
They're probably cyclists used to wearing SPD sandals all year!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #597 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:47:29 am »
The dog is not keen on the heat, so I took her out early this morning. Got outside the door and, wow! It was bloody freezing.  Had to go back in for a fleece. 
After half an hour the sun had risen above, and dissipated the bank of mist that has been appearing on the hill for the last few mornings and within minutes the fleece was off and tied round my waist.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #598 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:17:26 am »
In Swindon, men wear shorts and women wear sun tops if the sun is out.  This is completely unrelated to temperature.  It happens in winter when it's below freezing.  I have even seen bare feet and flipflops when it has been sunny with snow flurries.

In Kent, if the temperature rises above 20 degrees, all men over the age of 40 are legally obliged to go topless and must be sunburned by 4pm at the latest (2pm in Chatham and Maidstone).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #599 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:33:08 am »
The Scottish TomatoTM appears in May.
It is simpler than it looks.