Author Topic: "Crap Towns" returns  (Read 13839 times)

PH

Re: "Crap Towns" returns
« Reply #50 on: 09 October, 2013, 09:11:33 pm »
I grew up in Derby.  The best thing to do of an evening in Derby is go to Nottingham.

I'm shocked. you grew up :o
Most people don't like the town they grew up in, they usually get over it.  I moved to Derby 14 years ago, I think it's a great place and intend staying here.
I've never been to a crap town.

« Reply #51 on: 09 October, 2013, 09:41:24 pm »

I'm impressed someone likes Newport - I suppose someone's got to.

One of my friends studied at Newport Art School; after his first term he moved to Cardiff to live, because it's fifteen minutes away by train and infinitely better.  He died last year; his family scattered his ashes on the river Usk where they floated for awhile; it's to be hoped that they sank before going too far.

« Reply #52 on: 09 October, 2013, 09:45:38 pm »
Worst town in Yorkshire for me would be between Dewsbury and Pontefract.

Visited Dewsbury once, and I would have to agree,  worst town in Yorkshire.  Even the banks of the Calder was festooned with all kinds of rubbish, so I couldn't escape the dreadfulness of the place by spending time near the river.

I lived in Dewsbury for a year in the late sixties.It was unpleasant; I've heard that it's gone downhill since. I was offered a house for £75 (freehold)...

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #53 on: 09 October, 2013, 10:20:53 pm »
And just what is wrong with Glossop? (yes its gritstone and a tad busy roadwise..........)
It's grim up North.

I must admit I'm surprised. I thought knowledge of the work of the Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu was part of the YACF cultural acquis. But then I'm not sure what Hellymedic was getting at, since the holes towns she lists are canonical but not in that order.
Not especially helpful or mature

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 09 October, 2013, 10:50:01 pm »
It's where Sir Roderick comes from.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #55 on: 10 October, 2013, 12:09:28 am »
Aylesbury.
I grew up in Aylesbury, & remember dancing round the clock tower in the market square wiith a few friends & a few hundred strangers at midnight on New Years Eve on a few years & getting let back into the pub afterwards, & many other pleasant experiences. What is so unrelentingly bad about it that it qualifies as a crap town?

The definition of crap town being applied here seems to be somewhere between "completely ordinary", & "not utterly brilliant". I think that to qualify as crap, a town should be outstandngly bad. Failing to be outstandingly good is not crap. I don't think the beer I had tonight was crap, just because it didn't light up my tastebuds & give me an irresistible urge to tell the entire pub I was having the most wonderful experience every time I supped a mouthful. It was nothing special, but it was perfectly acceptable, in fact rather pleasant, in an ordinary way. And I think that is probably true of many of the allegedly crap towns listed here.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #56 on: 10 October, 2013, 07:12:13 am »
I was trying to think of crap towns west of Swindon and was about to give up then remembered Yate, poetically described by Cudzoziemiec as "the would-be Milton Keynes of the west, but without either the charm or the facilities"

I regularly taunt myself with thoughts of what it might be like to live in Swindon, it makes me feel dirty.

Yate has some good points: It has a railway station,  and a swimming pool,  can't think of anything else.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 10 October, 2013, 08:43:06 am »
Otway's from Aylesbury.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #58 on: 10 October, 2013, 09:13:30 am »
I was trying to think of crap towns west of Swindon and was about to give up then remembered Yate, poetically described by Cudzoziemiec as "the would-be Milton Keynes of the west, but without either the charm or the facilities"

I regularly taunt myself with thoughts of what it might be like to live in Swindon, it makes me feel dirty.

Yate has some good points: It has a railway station,  and a swimming pool,  can't think of anything else.
It has a decent bike shop, LBS of Bikey-Mikey otp. It has the A432, a nice descending consecutive road number, along which you can speed (cos it's almost all downhill) back to Bristol at midnight after a pub ride. And the pub was probably in Chipping Sodbury, which is next door (actually it was probably in Old Sodbury, but close enough). And it's surrounded by pleasant countryside despite being very close to a conurbation of half a million people.

It's pretty much like a lot of places in fact!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #59 on: 10 October, 2013, 10:31:13 am »
Aylesbury.
I grew up in Aylesbury, & remember dancing round the clock tower in the market square wiith a few friends & a few hundred strangers at midnight on New Years Eve on a few years & getting let back into the pub afterwards, & many other pleasant experiences. What is so unrelentingly bad about it that it qualifies as a crap town?

That was then, this is now. I've lived close top Aylesbury for the last 13 years. Yes, when you were growing up they had the "hobble on the cobbles" with John Otway, a decent club scene where the Clash played, etc. etc.  But now, despite the new Waterside Theatre (which seems to show mostly tribute bands and dance shows (ok I may exaggerate bit it's not generally very cultured, and it's a bit of a depressing experience to visit IMO) it's a traffic choked London dormitory dump, with it's lovely old centre gutted in favour of '60's, then 70's then 90's shopping experiences. The stench of fried food from the "food court" in Friars Square "mall" is nauseating.  It's gfrubby and litter strewn especially around the fast food places on Cambrige street, and what they've done to Kingsbury is a disgrace - the chance to create a tree-shaded central piazza with outdoor cafe areas realised as a wasteland of concrete slabs and a so-called water clock and the removal of the public toilets.  They try and tart it up - boxes of bedding plants on central reservation railings, but they regularly get trashed.  And of course there is the usual post-recession blight of older empty offices and factories. It is not a attractive place to visit. We live maybe 4 miles away, and almost always prefer to go the Tring, unless we need "big town" availability. We probably visit less than once a month, and for the majority of day to day stuff prefer Tring (though I do the weekly shop in Hemel, where I work - another not terribly attractive dormitory town).

On the plus side the Aylesbury Vale has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country - but I suspect the vast majority of those will be in Aylesbury itself.

So, the perception of what makes a "crap" town is a personal one, and one that IMO Aylesbury fully deserves today.  Some peolple love living in the "village" of Fairford Leys. I loathe that featureless 90's housing estate with it's faux village centre. Others love living in Watermead (a construct of a housing estate around a pond - the pond to prevent flooding).  We walked around it, and although built in the late 80's as a sort of Georgian pastiche, it has single glazed windows and peeling paint on cracking facades with the adjacent dry ski slope unused for several years. And this isn't a sink estate - for that we have "California", better know as Southcourt.

So, the perception of what makes a "crap" town is a personal one, and one that IMO Aylesbury fully deserves today.  YMMV
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #60 on: 10 October, 2013, 11:42:18 am »

I'm impressed someone likes Newport - I suppose someone's got to.

One of my friends studied at Newport Art School; after his first term he moved to Cardiff to live, because it's fifteen minutes away by train and infinitely better.  He died last year; his family scattered his ashes on the river Usk where they floated for awhile; it's to be hoped that they sank before going too far.

On could live in St. Mellons and get the best worst of both worlds I suppose ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #61 on: 10 October, 2013, 04:33:27 pm »
Warwick deserves bonus crappiness points for hiding the castle behind an enormous hedge, in case it accidentally brightens up the town.  Also, for putting its university in Coventry.
Having septic tourists come up to you every summertime, asking where War-wick castle is is no joke either. I once told one, in view of Guy's Tower, that it had been sold to a Texan oil billionaire and shipped over to Houston. His wife twigged, but he was caught hook, line & sinker before I asked him to turn around. That's what passes as entertainment in my town, folks.

The University of Warwick suffers doubly because it is twixt Kenilworth and Coventry; two of the crappiest places you could ever visit. Were it not for the decent cycling, it would be insufferable.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #62 on: 10 October, 2013, 05:38:14 pm »
Holy cow! 3 pages and no mention of Rhyl  :o  Mind you, being limited to 'crap' is probably way too restrictive.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #63 on: 10 October, 2013, 08:12:48 pm »
Aylesbury.

That was then, this is now. I've lived close top Aylesbury for the last 13 years. Yes, when you were growing up they had the "hobble on the cobbles" with John Otway, a decent club scene where the Clash played, etc. etc.  But now, despite the new Waterside Theatre (which seems to show mostly tribute bands and dance shows (ok I may exaggerate bit it's not generally very cultured, and it's a bit of a depressing experience to visit IMO) it's a traffic choked London dormitory dump, with it's lovely old centre gutted in favour of '60's, then 70's then 90's shopping experiences. The stench of fried food from the "food court" in Friars Square "mall" is nauseating.  It's gfrubby and litter strewn especially around the fast food places on Cambrige street, and what they've done to Kingsbury is a disgrace - the chance to create a tree-shaded central piazza with outdoor cafe areas realised as a wasteland of concrete slabs and a so-called water clock and the removal of the public toilets.  They try and tart it up - boxes of bedding plants on central reservation railings, but they regularly get trashed.  And of course there is the usual post-recession blight of older empty offices and factories. It is not a attractive place to visit. We live maybe 4 miles away, and almost always prefer to go the Tring, unless we need "big town" availability. We probably visit less than once a month, and for the majority of day to day stuff prefer Tring (though I do the weekly shop in Hemel, where I work - another not terribly attractive dormitory town).

On the plus side the Aylesbury Vale has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country - but I suspect the vast majority of those will be in Aylesbury itself.

So, the perception of what makes a "crap" town is a personal one, and one that IMO Aylesbury fully deserves today.  Some peolple love living in the "village" of Fairford Leys. I loathe that featureless 90's housing estate with it's faux village centre. Others love living in Watermead (a construct of a housing estate around a pond - the pond to prevent flooding).  We walked around it, and although built in the late 80's as a sort of Georgian pastiche, it has single glazed windows and peeling paint on cracking facades with the adjacent dry ski slope unused for several years. And this isn't a sink estate - for that we have "California", better know as Southcourt.

So, the perception of what makes a "crap" town is a personal one, and one that IMO Aylesbury fully deserves today.  YMMV
California isn't Southcourt, & never has been. It's the small area between the railway station & Southcourt. Can't remember what they've built on it now, but it used to be the Schwarzkopf factory. And it isn't 'California', it's California. The name dates back to at least the 1880s, decades before Southcourt was built.

BTW, I was born & raised in Southcourt. People from outside it called it a sink estate then, & they were wrong then. I've been back since (ny last visit to Aylesbury was September 23rd), & Southcourt still doesn't look or feel like a sink estate to me. People have jobs, they've tarted up their houses . . .

As for grotty places like Fairford Leys - well, think about what I wrote. Pretty standard grot, isn't it? If possession of that makes a town crap, then there are precious few non-crap towns in this country.

And the Hobble on the Cobbles started after I'd grown up. Our dancing round the clock tower was impromptu.

If you're going to hate, at least get your hates right.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #64 on: 10 October, 2013, 08:19:34 pm »
slough is not a great place  either .it should feature  on this list ;)
the slower you go the more you see

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #65 on: 11 October, 2013, 10:43:56 am »
Slough isn't crap, it's rough ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

fuzzy

« Reply #66 on: 11 October, 2013, 02:44:03 pm »
Gibraltar? WTF is that about? Propoganda to put off the Spanish?

As for Wycombe, there isn't anything about Wycombe that can't be fixed by dusting off and nukeing the site from orbit. Just to be sure, you understand.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #67 on: 11 October, 2013, 05:38:54 pm »
How has this got to three pages with no mention of Wellingborough? A town so crap that only people who have had the ill-fortune to have lived in or near it have ever heard of it obviously.

In the seventies the council bulldozed all the narrow roads of old workers cottages and local, non-chain shops to erect the dazzling Arndale Centre with some shit nightclub in it's basement and a multistorey carpark across the road. The highlight of the stores in the Arndale Centre was Revolver with Boots the Pharmacist a distant second. Apparently the Arndale Centre has now been re-named The Swansgate Centre, Boots is still there, Revolver has long gone. Also present the 99p Shop, Discount Somethingorother, a number of Lo-costs and Valus and a lot of empty spaces.

One thing Wellingborough does have is parking, lots of it and it is all free. Yes, Wellingborough is so crap that the council can't even make money from the poor card river.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #68 on: 11 October, 2013, 10:39:29 pm »
Morecambe! You can buy beer there and you can.... er...! That's about it really.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #69 on: 11 October, 2013, 11:03:43 pm »
Stop it. All of these towns are homes. People live there because they want to, or they have to.

Don't be suckered in to the 'my place is better than (or even worse than) your place' shit.

What next? Crap multinationals? Sub optimal governments? Where will it end, I ask?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #70 on: 11 October, 2013, 11:19:25 pm »
Penge.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #71 on: 11 October, 2013, 11:24:17 pm »
Oh yeah. I'd forgotten Penge.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #72 on: 12 October, 2013, 07:40:01 am »
How has this got to three pages with no mention of Wellingborough? A town so crap that only people who have had the ill-fortune to have lived in or near it have ever heard of it obviously.
Mrs Z knows Wellingborough all too well as she used to teach in Wollaston, onetime capital of the DM boot empire but now just a dormitory village for Northampton and other boring towns

I know a guy who was evacuated to Wellingborough in WWII, and actually saw the German plane drop the bomb (ithere was only one in the whole war) where McDonalds is now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #73 on: 12 October, 2013, 09:28:13 am »
I have taught in a Basildon school got 18 years and it has been, consistently, the most pleasant school I have taught at. When I concluded my brief written report on last year's activities with the question "Why does Ghyllgrove have so many really nice kids?" the head had tears in her eyes and glowed with pride. Mind you, she's from Merthyr Tydfil. Now there's a place...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #74 on: 12 October, 2013, 10:07:14 am »
Mrs Z knows Wellingborough all too well as she used to teach in Wollaston, onetime capital of the DM boot empire but now just a dormitory village for Northampton and other boring towns.

Secondary or Primary?

I was brought up in Wollaston and attended the secondary school, I don't imgine Mrs Z is old enough to have taught me. Even when the shoe factories were still there Wollaston was a dump, the best feature of it was that it wasn't Irchester. Irchester's best feature was the it wasn't Wellingborough.