Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 6153 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Twin Peaks
« on: 21 October, 2013, 10:45:33 am »
We've been re-watching Twin Peaks as the entire series is available on Love Fillum. I had forgotten how well David Lynch had captured the right level of cheese so typical of American TV but with a good story line. Both Mrs W and I were big fans when the show was first aired in the early 90s but hadn't watched it since.
Pen Pusher

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Twin Peaks
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2013, 10:48:38 am »
I can almost do a Wowbagger when it comes to Twin Peaks.  In spite of still being in the US when the programme was broadcast, I never saw an episode, but was aware of it.  When people were asking "Who killed Laura Palmer?"  I could only reply "Who is Laura Palmer?".

One of these days I'll get around to watching it.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2013, 10:56:41 am »
You must. It will seem very slow at first (as all "old" TV does now) but it's worth sticking with it.

I just remembered: one of Miss Woofage's teachers was called Miss Palmer. Yes, Laura Palmer. We found it difficult to refrain from using phrases like "Damn fine cup of coffee", "Black Lodge" and "The owls are not what they seem" during parents' evening sessions.
Pen Pusher

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »
I has it on DVD :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »
We also have it on DVD, one day I will watch it while not stoned. Not sure it will be the same.

hillbilly

« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2013, 09:18:14 pm »
DVD (the definitive gold version) still in its cellophane.  Will get around to it someday, but keep putting it off because I worry my memory of it is clouded by nostalgia fog.  Left me with a minor David Lynch obsession when I went up to uni.  I think we showed most of his films when I was prez of the Film Society there.  Except Dune  8)

« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2013, 11:03:49 pm »
I has it on DVD :)

Me too. We've been watching it recently - I didn't see it first time around (I'd only have been about eight when it came out).

« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2013, 11:17:29 pm »
I pointed my culture-vulture nerd son (his description, not mine!) at it last year I was a little concerned that it might be a bit above his 14yo tastes, but no. he liked it so much, he bought the T-shirt.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2013, 11:44:02 pm »
A lot of people have been saying lately that Breaking Bad is the best thing ever to have been on telly. All I can say is they must have short memories...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2013, 12:03:57 am »
I remember people saying that Lost was like Twin Peaks on a desert island. No. Not even close. Not even wrong.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2013, 01:25:56 pm »
This has just reminded me about how much I enjoyed it when it came out! Just got Series 1 from eBay for just over a fiver!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2013, 07:31:55 pm »
<carries his log about the house.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2013, 07:42:22 pm »
The Log Lady intros are great. :D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13 on: 24 October, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »
I have been thinking if I should re-watch it, over the last few weeks. Not sure if I fancy lasting to the end again, it did become rather weird... I wonder what Peli would think of it.

Favourite quite : New Shoes [spit]
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2013, 08:25:49 pm »
We've just started series 2. We'll let you know how we get on.
Pen Pusher

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 24 October, 2013, 08:49:18 pm »
I never actually saw it.  Presumably thins means I'll be immune to disappointment and can safely watch it?

« Reply #16 on: 27 October, 2013, 09:56:21 am »
It will seem very slow at first (as all "old" TV does now)...
Yes. This.

but it's worth sticking with it.
I am yet to be convinced. (But I have only watched one episode. Yawn.)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 27 October, 2013, 11:53:58 am »
Oh peli it takes a while for the really weird stuff to start....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Si

« Reply #18 on: 27 October, 2013, 04:55:29 pm »
Tried re-watching last year - yep, it did take some time for it to go strange....almost as if the writers decided to completely change direction part way through...so not at all like Lost.

I certainly found it worth watching to the end.

Talking of old TV shows that are extremely slow...also re-watched Sapphire and Steel recently.  There are bits in that that are horrendously slow for no apparent reason, but the one about the WWI soldier on the railway station still had me regressing to childhood and  hiding behind the sofa.

« Reply #19 on: 27 October, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »
I've just checked with Wikipedia (so it must be true) the original story line wasn't quite what the commissioning channel wanted, so there was a fair bit of ad-hoc re-writing of the episodes in order to shoe-horne (!) the story into a different direction : quote:
"Lynch blames network pressure for the decision to resolve the Palmer storyline prematurely.Mark Frost agreed, noting that people at the network had in fact wanted the killer to be revealed by the end of season one."
The Wikipedia (and other fan sites) are well worth reading.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #20 on: 31 October, 2013, 11:47:33 pm »
Well, the last episode was certainly weird!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: 01 November, 2013, 09:45:35 am »
Well, the last episode was certainly weird!

Good news.  You can cut and paste that response for most episodes from now on!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22 on: 01 November, 2013, 10:00:45 am »
If you think that's weird, wait until you see Fire Walk With Me...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #23 on: 07 November, 2013, 03:48:21 pm »
I remember it being one of those series where I never understood what was going on, but enjoyed it anyway.

(Flatus would probably claim that I never actually watched it, which may or may not be true! ;))

Damn fine cherry pie!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #24 on: 07 November, 2013, 03:55:41 pm »
Someone one day will have to explain to me what is to like about Lynch's stuff.  I think the only thing he's done that I liked was Wild at Heart.  Downright weirdness doesn't do it for me and Twin Peaks had it in Spades.
I actually might try rewatching just out of morbid curiousity though.  Perhaps it was because I didn't see it from the beginning but I could never fathom what the heck was going on.

If you want David Lynch on super-weird form try watching Eraserhead -I think it was his film school graduation thing or something  - it elevates weirdness to the Astral Plane.  My Dad who fancied himself as a right film buff claimed it was his second favourite film after 2001:A Space Odyssey - yeah right.  ::-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.