Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 336406 times)

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2750 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:45:05 pm »
You can start the bidding at £20 for my pack.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2751 on: 20 December, 2021, 01:40:37 pm »
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2752 on: 20 December, 2021, 02:51:24 pm »
They’re on special offer in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles right now, and if I'd seen ED's post before going shopping I'd have taken both panniers and possibly the trailer as well.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

« Reply #2753 on: 22 January, 2022, 07:39:19 am »
Nothing here since before Christmas!

Messrs Wait and Rose are unable to deliver me my chorizo this morning, not even attempting a substitution. The horror is unimaginable.

« Reply #2754 on: 24 January, 2022, 10:55:19 am »
When you leave your brain inside the house, and go & throw the contents of a waste paper basket full of all sorts of small bits of rubbish into... the green recycling wheely bin.  Then have to empty said bin, and in the process break a glass bottle on the path, and have to sweep and package that for disposal...  :facepalm:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2755 on: 24 January, 2022, 01:30:47 pm »
There's no YACF icon on my bookmarks page on Safari when I use my iMac. its there on my phone and my fondleslab, but its just a letter Y on the iMac. It's most frustrating because I have to look carefully for the shortcut.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2756 on: 24 January, 2022, 02:58:32 pm »
That's not the first time I've seen someone complain about Safari being bad at favicons.  There's probably a cache you can clear somewhere...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2757 on: 25 January, 2022, 11:43:05 am »
I have a little addiction which Dr Beardy (Mrs) indulges me in once a year, usually at Christmas. Because we were away over the Yuletide, my indulgence was not satisfied and Dr B has very kindly allowed me to carry its delivery forward.

Last week, I managed to remember to order the final ingredient only for it to turn up as the wrong viscosity. That was returned. I reordered this week, the delivery arrived 20 minutes ago. I went downstairs to check that they had sent the right one this week, only to discover Dr B and Ms B the younger cleaning the kitchen floor. On enquiry, it would seem that although the correct substance was indeed delivered, one of them had dropped the pot on the floor and I whipped whipping cream was spilled everywhere.

I’m desire for trifle is looking like it might not be sated this year.  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2758 on: 31 January, 2022, 10:20:09 am »
Ours bounce.

What always annoys me about whipped cream is that the pot is cold when it comes out of the fridge but once whipped it's at room temperature.  Maybe we should put the beaters and a bowl in the freezer for an hour or two in advance.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2759 on: 02 February, 2022, 09:38:12 am »
You'd still be whipping air at room temperature into it.  You need to ask BSJ if you can borrow his walk-in fridge, and do it in there.  :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #2760 on: 02 February, 2022, 11:14:19 am »
https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/02/rotterdam-bridge-to-be-dismantled-so-jeff-bezos-yacht-can-pass-through/

Bezos’ three-masted yacht is being built by the Oceano shipyard in Alblasserdam but is too big to pass under the bridge when the central section is raised to its full height. Now Oceano and Bezos have approached the council about temporarily dismantling the bridge at their cost.

First world problem, first world solution .
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2761 on: 12 March, 2022, 09:33:23 am »
I always buy socks in multipacks, all the same colour and the same size. Why then do socks appear in my washing which are of non matching colour, odd sizes and with some being uncomfortably small?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2762 on: 12 March, 2022, 02:35:47 pm »
You'd still be whipping air at room temperature into it.  You need to ask BSJ if you can borrow his walk-in fridge, and do it in there.  :thumbsup:
Wouldn't the friction/kinetic energy from whisking also warm the cream somewhat?

Suspect your cream needs to be at 2C at the start if you want cold whipped cream.

(click to show/hide)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2763 on: 12 March, 2022, 04:12:58 pm »
I always buy socks in multipacks, all the same colour and the same size. Why then do socks appear in my washing which are of non matching colour, odd sizes and with some being uncomfortably small?
Becasue retailers such as M&S source their products from a in=umber of different manufactures (to force them to lower their prices) and different manufactures use different materials to meet the specifications. Even though these look ostensibly identical when brand new, they wash differently and thus the dye washes out and the material shrinks at different rates. Also, as every pterry reader knows, L-space.  Ego a pile of odd socks that nominally started out as matched pairs.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2764 on: 13 March, 2022, 09:25:31 am »
I hate packs of socks that have 'pairs' in them. I've several that are 4 - 6 'pairs, i.e. the socks look identical but are of differing lengths. Start by getting a 'pair', carry on until 10 socks used then socks 11 and 12 are over an inch out.
I don't want a pack of 6 'pairs', just a pack of 12 socks where any 2 socks match.
Fortunately the socks that I wear most are all the same length - saves sorting 36 socks!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2765 on: 13 March, 2022, 12:04:01 pm »
My son in law just wears any two socks he gets out if the draw and he doesn’t buy the same colour socks. This means he’s always got obviously mismatched socks on. Mind ewe, he Is an artist.

« Reply #2766 on: 13 March, 2022, 01:15:10 pm »
My son in law just wears any two socks he gets out if the draw and he doesn’t buy the same colour socks. This means he’s always got obviously mismatched socks on. Mind ewe, he Is an artist.

In a similar vein, my musician step-son has never been bothered by matching socks.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2767 on: 13 March, 2022, 01:20:57 pm »

In a similar vein, my musician step-son has never been bothered by matching socks.
When a teenager, my sister would do the same. I didn't mind until she started to use my socks, so I ended up unable to find pairs.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2768 on: 13 March, 2022, 02:06:01 pm »
I hate packs of socks that have 'pairs' in them. I've several that are 4 - 6 'pairs, i.e. the socks look identical but are of differing lengths. Start by getting a 'pair', carry on until 10 socks used then socks 11 and 12 are over an inch out.
I don't want a pack of 6 'pairs', just a pack of 12 socks where any 2 socks match.
Fortunately the socks that I wear most are all the same length - saves sorting 36 socks!

My son used to buy bumper packs of dead cheap socks, wear them once and throw them out, since they wouldn't stand up to even one wash.  Mind you, 'once' could be a surprisingly long time: he was a student, after all.

I knew a bloke at uni who did that with quite decent shirts.  Wore them once and left them in a heap on the floor, just telling his char-person to get rid of them. He was a rich bastard, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2769 on: 14 March, 2022, 08:45:20 am »
My son wears deliberately mismatched pairs on a complicated schedule. If it's the second Monday, then the left foot has Sock C and the right foot has Sock K, that kind of thing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

« Reply #2770 on: 14 March, 2022, 09:00:34 am »
my daughter bought a blue and a yellow pair of converse boots "you've got four pairs for the price of two" I told her.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2771 on: 14 March, 2022, 11:33:12 am »
My Young Lady wears socks as they come out of the pile, resulting in mostly unmatched pairs. I commented on this, so she bought me half a dozen unpaired socks in bright colours on a cycling theme. One birthday later my son in law bought me a set of the same unpaired socks. Hurrah! I can now wear unpaired socks in pairs.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2772 on: 14 March, 2022, 11:57:35 am »
I think it was gerwinium OTP who got a load of abuse from a random drunk woman on a train for wearing socks embroidered with the day of the week on the wrong day.

« Reply #2773 on: 14 March, 2022, 12:06:13 pm »
I think it was gerwinium OTP who got a load of abuse from a random drunk woman on a train for wearing socks embroidered with the day of the week on the wrong day.
To be fair, that's getting into custodial sentence territory.

ElyDave

« Reply #2774 on: 14 March, 2022, 12:43:02 pm »
I share that view re Christmas socks before 1st Dec  :demon: