Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281679 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It's 24°C and the humidity is 77%, according to my weather station. In my book, that's unpleasant.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

Gave up waiting for rain and watered the garden. Then my wife told me 'I already did that.'

Also soaked LMC, who was hiding in a bush. Which apparently my wife also did.

So now I have to look out for a vengeful cat.

We had some overnight rain the other day,  temperatures are not too unpleasant.   

It seems unusually breezy though.  Is anyone else noticing this ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

It's been somewhat breezy on the seafront 'twixt Southsea and Eastney (which was great for slipstreaming the traffic on the esplanade yesterday ;D), but it's muggy AF even just a short distance inland.

I've got two hygrometers in the house - one says the RH is 60%, the other says 76% - I'm more inclined to believe the higher reading...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

It seems unusually breezy though.  Is anyone else noticing this ?

Yes.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #2131 on: 01 September, 2022, 04:18:03 pm »
Message from my brother relating to summer rainfall in Mid Essex. Figures mostly recorded at the Hanningfield Treatment Plant.

Dry summers locally since 1960, June - August rainfall, mm

1975  36.2
1995  43.6
1983  59.8
1976  67.8
2022  74.5

Average rainfall June - Aug is 139mm

Brother David lives about 15 miles from me. He recorded 34.7mm for August 2022. We recorded 9.4mm. I recorded 41.8mm for June, July and August 2022.

Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #2132 on: 01 September, 2022, 04:21:29 pm »
Locally (Aylesbury) the figure for June-August is around 35mm.  We've seen one day of significant rainfall in all that time, no tunerstorms.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2133 on: 04 September, 2022, 08:05:03 pm »
Pishing with rain all morning for the Tour of Britain start,  then 4pm it was glorious, and now it's a pea souper.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2134 on: 04 September, 2022, 11:08:27 pm »
Yellow warning for thunder storms this evening.
As usual,  nothing.
Where's my thunder storm you bastards?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2135 on: 05 September, 2022, 08:37:51 am »
A little heavy rain yesterday & overnight, but no thunder in Liverpool.   It looks like the south coast around Brighton got a good light & sound show though.

I'm off camping next Saturday,  what's that out  in the Atlantic ?   Oh Hai Hurricane Danielle !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2136 on: 05 September, 2022, 12:01:42 pm »
Woken around 0100 by thunder bolts and lightning.  Fired up lightningmaps.org as I couldn't sleep. I'm 10 miles from Gatwick. Fired up Flightradar24  to watch planes not land there and see the Easyjet Summer Outing to The Seaside / misc planes in a holding pattern near Chichester. Some lucky souls got diverted to Birmingham.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2137 on: 05 September, 2022, 12:03:26 pm »
We had a short but violent storm last night, maybe 10mm of rain. And a casualty was our neighbours 3m tall sunflower. The stalk’s still there but the flower head has snapped off
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #2138 on: 05 September, 2022, 12:11:37 pm »
Same storm here, I was off the bed and suddenly all the trees outside were whirling around in the wind. I had to go check we weren't having a tornado. Then it calmed down the rain and thunder followed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2139 on: 05 September, 2022, 01:23:20 pm »
I was woken repeatedly by thunder at point blank range.  Barakta asked what was going on, and decided to ignore me flinching.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2140 on: 05 September, 2022, 01:24:01 pm »
Yellow thunderstorm warning here, which probably won't happen, but we have rain and max temps of 20 forecast all this week. Yep, autumn. Well, it is September.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2141 on: 05 September, 2022, 02:23:31 pm »
Rained quite hard in the night but any thunder was muted enough not to wake me up.  Trying hard to rain again on sunny cloudy E17, but only managed a single-digit number of drops on the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle's saddle while it was parked outside Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2142 on: 05 September, 2022, 04:47:57 pm »
Thunderstorm warning here. Actuality: 27C, sunny, and bone dry.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2143 on: 05 September, 2022, 05:27:47 pm »
Yellow thunderstorm warning here, which probably won't happen, but we have rain and max temps of 20 forecast all this week. Yep, autumn. Well, it is September.
31 degrees here today. Bone dry still.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2144 on: 05 September, 2022, 07:45:14 pm »
The rain and thunder have arrived in Somerset.
Of course, when I needed to get some frozen broad beans out of the freezer, which is in the garage, the rain was at its most intense.
Don't often have to put a coat on while doing the cooking.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2145 on: 05 September, 2022, 07:56:25 pm »
And not even just Somerset but actual lightning up here in the north. (North from Somerset)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2146 on: 05 September, 2022, 11:24:23 pm »
Oooh, we got thunder an' rain an' stuffs here too!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2147 on: 05 September, 2022, 11:28:27 pm »
There was rains on the Fosse Way tonight at about 20:00. Lots of puddles. A very Excite!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2148 on: 06 September, 2022, 12:04:29 pm »
Thunderstorm last night about 2200. First one this year that I can remember
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #2149 on: 06 September, 2022, 12:48:40 pm »
Had full-on thunderstorms the last two nights running in Pompey, and one thunderclap just now - which Lightningmaps tells me is from a discharge a couple of miles out to sea off Hayling Island. Teletext is forecasting thunderstorms in the south Hampshire area through to Thursday inclusive...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche