Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 869032 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #3600 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:20:23 pm »
Bethany (9):Oh dear, M. Prudhomme.  Youse are going to regret that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3602 on: 26 May, 2019, 11:14:07 pm »
Suella Braverman.

It's not often you come across someone as repellent, odious and irritatingly self-righteous as her. (On R4 now.)
Rust never sleeps

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3603 on: 27 May, 2019, 02:22:10 pm »
Suella Braverman.

It's not often you come across someone as repellent, odious and irritatingly self-righteous as her. (On R4 now.)

Andrea Loathesome.  ‘Nuff said.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3604 on: 27 May, 2019, 02:34:03 pm »
Oooo. This is like a game of evil-tory-bastard poker.

I'll see your Andrea Loathsome and raise you Dominic Raab.
Rust never sleeps

fuzzy

« Reply #3605 on: 27 May, 2019, 03:11:38 pm »
Oooo. This is like a game of evil-tory-bastard poker.

I'll see your Andrea Loathsome and raise you Dominic Raabid.

Autocorrect not working so I sorted it for you.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3606 on: 28 May, 2019, 12:45:53 pm »
Don't forget that "Dominic Raab" is an anagram of "Midair Bacon".  This fact deserves to be more widely known.

« Reply #3607 on: 28 May, 2019, 07:29:19 pm »
:-)

That's right up there with 'I'm an evil tory bigot'.
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3608 on: 29 May, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »
'twas HTFB of this parish who came up with it.  I have been trying to popularise it on Farcebok, with zero success, and the task is now harder as I'm doing 30 days in FB gaol for lying about not suggesting someone should break Nick Griffin's nose with a hammer.  No sense of humour, those Zuckerbots.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3609 on: 29 May, 2019, 08:19:33 pm »
'twas HTFB of this parish who came up with it.  I have been trying to popularise it on Farcebok, with zero success, and the task is now harder as I'm doing 30 days in FB gaol for lying about not suggesting someone should break Nick Griffin's nose with a hammer.  No sense of humour, those Zuckerbots.
A steam hammer one hopes.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #3611 on: 10 June, 2019, 09:26:26 am »
To be fair, he's just summarizing the feeling of most drivers. Yes, someone is dead, it's awful, but really just shove them to the side of the road because I really need to get to the supermarket right now.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3612 on: 26 June, 2019, 03:10:58 pm »
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3613 on: 27 June, 2019, 11:37:47 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/19/model-railway-lovers-devastated-vandals-lincolnshire?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA1MjA%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Thanks for posting that Steph. It leaves one speechless. I was dropping my son off to the airport this morning, and we heard a news report that, statistically, there has been (and here I'm relying on my memory!!!) an 80% increase of attacks on LGBT folks. And I just don't understand itthe intolerance. Why can't people just accept NOT EVERYONE is the same as they are. And judging by the mentality of the 'haters', I'm glad I have substantially more than the 2 brain cells these people possess. My only hope is, we can avoid them. It's just dawned on me that these scum can vote too – little wonder all that is required is a 'x'.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3614 on: 27 June, 2019, 12:05:57 pm »
I was dropping my son off to the airport this morning, and we heard a news report that, statistically, there has been (and here I'm relying on my memory!!!) an 80% increase of attacks on LGBT folks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gay-lgbt-hate-crimes-stats-rise-four-year-physical-verbal-homophobic-abuse-community-a7933126.html

As ever with these stats, it's unclear how much is a rise in incidents, and how much is better police action/reporting, but I doubt the police get all the credit :(

And I just don't understand itthe intolerance. Why can't people just accept NOT EVERYONE is the same as they are. And judging by the mentality of the 'haters', I'm glad I have substantially more than the 2 brain cells these people possess.

Part of it is down to Brexit'n'Trumpism giving people confidence to share their hateful views in a way that simply wasn't acceptible back in the golden age of 2012 or so.  But much of it is down to the extremely successful hate campaign against trans and nonbinary people (particularly trans women and girls) being fought in the mainstream press and on social media.  Steph has posted about the background to this before (it's a strategic attempt by the USAnian Christian right to undermine LGBT+ and women's rights, starting with the T).  Parallels to how the press treated gay people (particularly men with HIV) in the 80s are uncanny.

It's got to the point where it seems like every other day we discover that an otherwise reasonable celebrity or friend has, perhaps out of well-intentioned ignorance, allied themselves with the TERFs and potentially (we can only assume by association), the biphobes, homophobes and pro-lifers.

It's fucking scary, is what it is.  But it's also bringing out some of the best in the wider QUILTBAG and feminist community.  #BwiththeT  #LwiththeT #GwiththeT https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-feminists-warn-away-british-terfs

My only hope is, we can avoid them.

Only if you have enough cis-het/male/non-disabled/white-British privilege not to appear on their radar.  For now.

fuzzy

« Reply #3615 on: 27 June, 2019, 12:27:31 pm »
Perhaps we are in or entering the trough of a natural tolerance cycle?

Over time, the attitude of society as a whole, towards those that are not seen as 'The Norm' improves.

We then reach a peak of positive attitude adjustment at which time, someone like Trump or Farrage or Tommy Fucking Robinson comes along and there is a period of retrograde movement in tolerance until we hit the bottom of the trough at which point, the attitude of society as a whole, towards those that are not seen as 'The Norm' improves to a point above the previous peak.

We then reach a peak of positive attitude adjustment at which time, someone like Trump or Farrage or Tommy Fucking Robinson comes along and there is a period of retrograde movement in tolerance until we hit the bottom of the trough at which point, the attitude of society as a whole, towards those that are not seen as 'The Norm' improves to a point above the previous peak.

And repeat.

Just a theory.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3616 on: 27 June, 2019, 12:51:18 pm »
Just a theory.

Quite possibly, but as one of the people likely to be killed - along with many of my family and friends - in the coming rise of fascism, I'm reluctant to accept the "It's a natural cycle, nothing we can do about it *shrug*" approach.   :-\

I'm also wary of falling into the trap of assuming that things naturally improving over time as being a law, rather than a short-term trend that many of us have been fortunate enough to have lived through.

« Reply #3617 on: 27 June, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »
I was dropping my son off to the airport this morning, and we heard a news report that, statistically, there has been (and here I'm relying on my memory!!!) an 80% increase of attacks on LGBT folks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gay-lgbt-hate-crimes-stats-rise-four-year-physical-verbal-homophobic-abuse-community-a7933126.html

As ever with these stats, it's unclear how much is a rise in incidents, and how much is better police action/reporting, but I doubt the police get all the credit :(

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/boy-12-arrested-over-disgusting-16487483   >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3619 on: 27 June, 2019, 01:44:38 pm »

And I just don't understand itthe intolerance. Why can't people just accept NOT EVERYONE is the same as they are. And judging by the mentality of the 'haters', I'm glad I have substantially more than the 2 brain cells these people possess.

Part of it is down to Brexit'n'Trumpism giving people confidence to share their hateful views in a way that simply wasn't acceptible back in the golden age of 2012 or so.  But much of it is down to the extremely successful hate campaign against trans and nonbinary people (particularly trans women and girls) being fought in the mainstream press and on social media.  Steph has posted about the background to this before (it's a strategic attempt by the USAnian Christian right to undermine LGBT+ and women's rights, starting with the T).  Parallels to how the press treated gay people (particularly men with HIV) in the 80s are uncanny.

It's got to the point where it seems like every other day we discover that an otherwise reasonable celebrity or friend has, perhaps out of well-intentioned ignorance, allied themselves with the TERFs and potentially (we can only assume by association), the biphobes, homophobes and pro-lifers.

It's fucking scary, is what it is.  But it's also bringing out some of the best in the wider QUILTBAG and feminist community.  #BwiththeT  #LwiththeT #GwiththeT https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-feminists-warn-away-british-terfs

My only hope is, we can avoid them.

Only if you have enough cis-het/male/non-disabled/white-British privilege not to appear on their radar.  For now.

Yes, we pondered whether the increase, was down to the Police 'keeping-an-eye-out' more for this and making sure reports are filed, and not just binned.

Trump and Brexit does seem to embolden bullies who now feel whatever bigoted, racial, misogynistic crap they spat out amongst their friends, somehow now legitimises it for them to openly spit it out in public.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #3620 on: 27 June, 2019, 03:31:05 pm »
Just a theory.

Quite possibly, but as one of the people likely to be killed - along with many of my family and friends - in the coming rise of fascism, I'm reluctant to accept the "It's a natural cycle, nothing we can do about it *shrug*" approach.   :-\

I'm also wary of falling into the trap of assuming that things naturally improving over time as being a law, rather than a short-term trend that many of us have been fortunate enough to have lived through.

I'm not saying we should put up wityh it. I am offering it as a theory as to why this shit happens.

I despair of the likes of Trump, Farrage, Tommy Fucking Robinson and all the other hate mongers. Why TF can't we just get on and let folk be the folk they want to be?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3621 on: 27 June, 2019, 03:50:13 pm »
Yes, we pondered whether the increase, was down to the Police 'keeping-an-eye-out' more for this and making sure reports are filed, and not just binned.

There's been a steady increase in hate crime since they started recording it as a specific thing in the early 2000s.  Historically, that's been attributed to the police becoming more approachable by the victims, and better at recording it as such, but post-2016 is less clear.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3622 on: 27 June, 2019, 03:54:52 pm »
I despair of the likes of Trump, Farrage, Tommy Fucking Robinson and all the other hate mongers. Why TF can't we just get on and let folk be the folk they want to be?

Because there's always someone to come along and point at someone who's a bit different and present them as an easy answer to complicated problems?  Human nature, I think...

rr

« Reply #3623 on: 27 June, 2019, 04:51:20 pm »

Parallels to how the press treated gay people (particularly men with HIV) in the 80s are uncanny.

Having lived through it I think this shit storm has produced a rebound of the type that Fuzzy described, it forced discussion of gay people and gay sex - when I think back to the late 70s and early 80s we knew very little about even the possibility of people not being dead straight.
I remember a girl in my class struggling with why her relationships with boys never amounted to anything - it took her until university to work out she was doing the wrong thing right and work out what the right thing was.
I remember a dramatic change in the visibility of (mostly gay) lbgt people around then.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3624 on: 27 June, 2019, 05:45:06 pm »
Parallels to how the press treated gay people (particularly men with HIV) in the 80s are uncanny.
Having lived through it I think this shit storm has produced a rebound of the type that Fuzzy described, it forced discussion of gay people and gay sex - when I think back to the late 70s and early 80s we knew very little about even the possibility of people not being dead straight.

Still pretty shitty for all the trans and nonbinary people who thought everything was getting better up till about 2014 or so, and are now having their right to exist 'debated' all over again like it was in the 1990s.

I remember a girl in my class struggling with why her relationships with boys never amounted to anything - it took her until university to work out she was doing the wrong thing right and work out what the right thing was.

That sort of thing was normal and ordinary for queer people of my generation and before, who didn't get to be teenagers when we were teenagers.  I can't really express how awesome it is that (some) youth today don't have to go through that, and it saddens me that the recent Birmingham protests, systematic attacks on organisations like Stonewall and Mermaids, and the usual posturing by right-wing politicians might bring us back to the dark days of Section 28, or indeed 1930s Germany.

I suppose at least they'll have the Internet.  I was in an incredibly privileged position of being able to get on FidoNet in my early teens, and safely access queer resources - limited as they were - without parental knowledge.  Before that, the de-facto source of support and role models for vulnerable youth was the Gay Scene.  Old men in pubs distributing condoms is no basis for a system of safeguarding, and all that.