Author Topic: Apollo images  (Read 4966 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Apollo images
« on: 17 May, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »
I was searching for a picture from the Apollo 11 mission, and I found this wonderful website

Apollo Image Archive with all the pictures from all the missions..
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Re: Apollo images
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2009, 11:20:19 pm »
Thanks for that, my 6 year old son is obsessed by Apollo.  The photos are faked of course.  ;)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2009, 11:47:20 pm »
It's a great site.  I found it a few years ago, and have been wandering in and out of it ever since, as they've added more pictures.  Somewhere, I also have a copy of a series of PDFs a chap produced, so that you could reproduce the Apollo Guidance computer in the comfort of your own home.  ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:17:14 am »
If you don't know about this book, it is another fantastic record of the Apollo missions.

MICHAEL LIGHT | FULL MOON
It is simpler than it looks.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:07:33 am »
Thanks for that, my 6 year old son is obsessed by Apollo.  The photos are faked of course.  ;)

I'll get Bizz Aldrin to thump you for that!  ;)

fuzzy

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:00:37 pm »
If you don't know about this book, it is another fantastic record of the Apollo missions.

Seconded :thumbsup:

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:13:53 pm »
I think the best book I've read about Apollo is probably Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon".  Jim Lovell's "Lost Moon" is also worht reading.  I'm thinking of getting a copy of Gene Kranz's "Failure is not an option" too.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

fuzzy

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:18:23 pm »
I will shamelessly confess to being a hopelessly lost cause Apollo groupie. I was the proverbial 'Kid in a sweetshop' during my two visits to Kennedy Space Centre. I wandered round the Apollo exhibition with a stupid grin on my face. It took me straight back to my 'Gonna be an astronaut when I am growed up' days. The Lovell book is great (I have the Apollo 13 re release) as is the film. I also have a well watched copy of 'The Right Stuff' DVD.

Zipperhead

« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:30:30 pm »
It's always a sobering experience for me when I visit the Science Museum, to look at the Apollo 10 capsule and think about what it must have been like to travel to the moon and back in it. Then wander round the other side of it and look at the burns on the bottom.

I don't think I've got sufficient cojones for that ride!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:43:28 pm »
Apparently if Buzz Aldrin had shut the LM door when he came down the ladder they wouldn't have been able to get back in, there wasn't a handle on the outside.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:19:15 pm »
Apparently if Buzz Aldrin had shut the LM door when he came down the ladder they wouldn't have been able to get back in, there wasn't a handle on the outside.

You mean it didn't have a cat flap ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »
It's always a sobering experience for me when I visit the Science Museum, to look at the Apollo 10 capsule and think about what it must have been like to travel to the moon and back in it. Then wander round the other side of it and look at the burns on the bottom.

I don't think I've got sufficient cojones for that ride!

I used to work there - one thing I used to do from time to time was to take a walk round the Flight gallery on the fifth floor, take in the full sized replica of the Wright flyer* then walk back down to the Making of the Modern World Gallery to look at the Apollo 10 capsule and just think about how few the years were between the use of those two objects, staggering really.

*For those who don't know, the Science Museum actually used to have the original.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2009, 03:20:08 pm »
I know it's not Apollo, but Boingboing had this today...

Space is the place | Boing Boing Gadgets
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Rob S

« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2009, 06:21:21 pm »

Seconded :thumbsup:

Thirded...got the hardback version within days of it's release! 8)

I've got the 6 disc boxset of the Apollo 15 mission, about 21 hours worth of footage of the mission including all video filmed onboard and on the moon....watch in amazement as David Scott seems to spend 20 minutes trying to get tab a in to slot b although later when he's driving the lunar rover that is pretty cool!!! ...bits from the training, rollout.....oh and the launch from 8 angles!! :thumbsup: It's the kind of thing you could enjoy even more if it was edited in to a 5 hour edited highlights show.

I've not yet read any of the astronaut's books other than Two Sides Of The Moon (David Scott and Alexei Leonov) which is ok....I've read good reviews of Michael Collin's book plus  Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon"....I see he has another book out in a couple of months. .. Voices from the Moon: Andrew  Chaikin: Amazon.co.uk: astronauts, Chaikin and his collaborator, Victoria, Kohl, have created an extraordinary account of the: Books

Oh and of course there's the Haynes manual!! ;D

Apollo 11 Manual: An Insight into the Hardware from the First Manned Mission to Land on the Moon: Chris Riley: Amazon.co.uk: Phil Dolling: Books

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:00:21 am »
That night in 1969 when the first moon-walk took place must be etched in many people's minds in the way that ... where were you when Kennedy was shot in 1963  or the Lady Di death in 1997

Nostalgia - those were the days

Rob

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:20:16 am »
That night in 1969 when the first moon-walk took place must be etched in many people's minds in the way that ... where were you when Kennedy was shot in 1963 

I was stood on a grassy knoll in Dallas if you must know.

I wonder if anyone ever asked Jackie Onassis that question

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:32:16 am »
I go through phases of fascination with the moon missions.
I've not yet read any of the astronaut's books other than Two Sides Of The Moon (David Scott and Alexei Leonov) which is ok
I enjoyed that book. A few dull bits, but lots of fascinating and Wow! sections. It felt very authentic.

Its USP is really the Russian side. The cosmonauts were similar people to the Yanks, but their backgrounds were very different, and the administration was insane.
There's a very sad story about 1 cosmonaut being thrown on the rubbish heap.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:36:30 am »
Fantastic! I just had a quick browse and I love this one:

Forty years ago but still looks like a vision of the future to me!

« Reply #18 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:38:56 am »
If you like NASA and flying test pictures, as I do, although more on the aircraft side than spacecraft, check sites such as:

NASA Dryden Research Aircraft Photo Collection
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #19 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:40:51 am »
It's a tradition for cosmonauts to piss up the wheel of the coach that takes them to the launch pad.

Major Tom Cat.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:45:26 pm »
Kennedy: not born
Apollo 11: in a friend's living room down the road coz we didn't have a telly
Diana: in bed
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #21 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:15:33 pm »
I know it's not Apollo, but Boingboing had this today...

Space is the place | Boing Boing Gadgets

That is a fantastic photo!

LEE

« Reply #22 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:23:47 pm »
Re.  Faked Moon-Landing.

I once saw an interview with a Russian who was involved in the space-race with US/NASA.  He said that some of the photos were obviously fake but that the moon-landing was real.

« Reply #23 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:27:11 pm »
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Zipperhead

« Reply #24 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:23:43 pm »
I just noticed that yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 10.

In amongst the Saturn V images are some wonderful pictures. They bring the engineering to life even more.

But, how about these , "Houston, we have a problem"