Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391174 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #675 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:37:13 pm »
Nobody else has yet suggested the importance of reliability as well as comfort.
You really would prefer not to practise your Mechanical Skilz in a biblical storm on Upper Hurricanedale at 3am.
Good point.

(I cannot think how to add to this without lighting yet another blue touch-paper ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #676 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:44:42 pm »
Mr Dalesman:
You might findthe topic about "Ravens" covers a lot of the usual suspects.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #677 on: 16 September, 2014, 09:56:17 pm »
Ghyllside in Ambleside will make you up a nice audax bike, though not 'off the peg'.

Martin

« Reply #678 on: 16 September, 2014, 10:27:32 pm »
there is no ideal Audax bike! AUK's will tell you your bottom will fall off if you ride anything that's not steel but there are very few non Alu / Carbon frames on PBP; I've never ridden an AUK event on a steel bike. My newest one cost all of £349 and with the addition of a Rolls saddle it's done oodles of rides both here and overseas hilly flat you name it*

don't believe the hype; it's not about the bike  :thumbsup:

* one reason I'm so happy riding it is it has 2 spare gear hangers; bust one of them without a spare and no amount of ££££ will get you home  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #679 on: 16 September, 2014, 11:11:25 pm »
I rode Audax or similar events on each bike in my stable one year.
I think I had six bikes.

Anything comfortable and reliable will do. Make sure you can fix problems and take suitable tools.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #680 on: 25 September, 2014, 11:20:30 am »
How do I register my new club to get my AUK points for 2015? They don't exist on the list of clubs under my membership details.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #681 on: 26 September, 2014, 08:24:59 am »
Mike the Membership Sec may be able to help.  Also check the club isn't already listed under an alias - eg CC Oakley instead of Oakley CC, etc.

Nobody else has yet suggested the importance of reliability as well as comfort.

A very good point and I would add - enjoyment.  The bike has to be one that it gives you pleasure to ride (which is not necessarily the same thing as 'comfortable'). 
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #682 on: 26 September, 2014, 01:07:40 pm »
Cheers - Mike added it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #683 on: 03 October, 2014, 11:07:03 am »
Just read this on road.cc:
Ok, so it's technically an audax bike, but what is a sportive but an audax without the cake?
:D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #684 on: 03 October, 2014, 08:31:08 pm »
Just read this on road.cc:
Ok, so it's technically an audax bike, but what is a sportive but an audax without the cake?
:D

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #685 on: 04 October, 2014, 05:23:34 pm »
* one reason I'm so happy riding it is it has 2 spare gear hangers; bust one of them without a spare and no amount of ££££ will get you home  ;)

Tbh, I can't imagine gear hangers fail very often, except in a crash - in which case you might have other reasons for not continuing. I've certainly never felt the need to carry a spare one on an audax.

I have, however, had a rear mech disintegrate on me mid-ride. I just shortened the chain and completed the ride singlespeed.

And anyway you can always avoid the risk of rear mech and/or hanger failure by riding fixed. ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #686 on: 10 October, 2014, 07:07:26 pm »
Ok, serious question: Why does the event calendar run October-September but the membership year January-December?
And when it says "new members joining late in the year will be subscribed until the end of the following year" what does that actually mean in practice? When does it become "late"?

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #687 on: 10 October, 2014, 09:25:55 pm »
Sorry Cudzo, that information is only available to members. You'll need to join to find out.  ;D
Go on, you know you want to....
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #688 on: 10 October, 2014, 09:46:13 pm »
Ok, serious question: Why does the event calendar run October-September but the membership year January-December?
It seems the event year is mostly so points and awards etc can be worked out ahead of the AGM in November. Note the event year used to be November-October, it changed a couple of years ago.
The membership year is probably just because it keeps things simple, no need to change it.

And when it says "new members joining late in the year will be subscribed until the end of the following year" what does that actually mean in practice? When does it become "late"?
From 1st September. See the regulations here: http://www.aukweb.net/official/aukregs/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #689 on: 13 October, 2014, 11:34:31 am »
Sorry Cudzo, that information is only available to members. You'll need to join to find out.  ;D
But that would mean associating with disreputable types like you.
Oh, hang on...

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #690 on: 13 October, 2014, 08:36:15 pm »
Oh, hang on...

You're not a member? :o
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #691 on: 14 October, 2014, 10:52:03 am »
Oh, hang on...

You're not a member? :o
Have you not heard Neil's words of wisdom on this point?  ;)

« Reply #692 on: 30 October, 2014, 11:50:26 am »
I did my first audax a few weeks back.

My brevet card was stamped at the end of the event and handed back to me.  The organiser recorded some details from it on a sheet of paper.

How does my ride get to be recorded on the audax website? Do I need to do something with my brevet cRd?

Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #693 on: 30 October, 2014, 12:31:45 pm »
You shouldn't have to do anything, the organiser submits the validation details to the recorder.
If it hasn't happened- ie if the ride is up on the results but you're not listed there, ask the recorder.
Don't forget the season has turned and you might be there on last year's results rather than this year's if your ride was before 1st October.

« Reply #694 on: 30 October, 2014, 06:46:33 pm »
Note also that while your name will appear in the event results list whether or not you're an AUK member, if you're a non-member it'll be down at the bottom of the list and you'll only be able to access a personalised listing of all your rides if you've joined up.

« Reply #695 on: 02 November, 2014, 01:24:34 pm »
Ok thanks, looks like the event hasn't been uploaded by the organiser yet.  Not sure why it's taking over a month, sure he will get around to it.

Another question, I did the minehead 100 last month, I see it carries zero points for the club and CTC totals, why is it not worth one point.

Thanks,
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #696 on: 02 November, 2014, 01:36:24 pm »
200km (and longer) events are Brevet Randonneur and are worth 'points'. Shorter events are Brevet Popular and worth no points. There are historical reasons for why 200+km brevets are considered long distance events.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #697 on: 03 November, 2014, 10:22:15 pm »
Ok thanks, looks like the event hasn't been uploaded by the organiser yet.  Not sure why it's taking over a month, sure he will get around to it.
It  is  a  three  stage  process, the organiser submits the results, (by s-mail),  validation secs validate, and  the  recorder records on the website. This can all take a while. If  its a  BRM event, which yours was not, because you  got your card  back on the day,  cards  have to also go to Paris during  this process,

« Reply #698 on: 06 November, 2014, 06:05:58 pm »
ACP are instituting a new process for BRMs this season.  It has the potential to speed things somewhat.

If an organiser sends in his results very promptly and if both validation sec and the recorder are sat waitng by their computers instead of out riding their bikes, and if the new automated ACP process works as intended for BRMs, then the whole thing could, in theory, be complete on the AUK website in about a week. 

That's an awful lot of IFs though, and in reality I doubt you'll see many approach that sort of speed.

Getting the cards back to the riders will always take a little longer due to the necessary reliance on snail-mail from validation sec to organiser and from organiser to rider.

Personally I rather like it when a card comes back months later.... memories of any pain have faded and I only think "gosh - that was fun ride wasn't it, nice to be reminded of it".   And I'm not saying that because I'm an actor in the process (honest!)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #699 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:11:45 pm »

Another question, I did the minehead 100 last month, I see it carries zero points for the club and CTC totals, why is it not worth one point.

Thanks,

it's only 100km so it's not long distance.  Therefore it's not worth any points.  Although, having done a Minehead 100 before you should (morally)  get AAA points for it even if it is not registered or not actually featuring enough ascent