Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751150 times)

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #13275 on: 12 March, 2019, 12:36:13 pm »
There is a new SP dynamo front hub available - the SV9, smaller and lighter than the PV8 but with slightly lower output rating and a few pennies extra.
I am considering for the fixed winter bike with the exposure revo lighting rig once dressed with nice shiny rims and spokes.
Any reports from the real world, or will I be the ACME/MEMWNS test pilot.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #13276 on: 12 March, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »
Mr KFC, I'm afraid you are more than 12 months behind the times...do keep up.... I had a set built on Borg 22 rims and 32 spokes non-disc version with revo front lamp in spring last year. Only used them on overnight audaxes between March and September and they have been reliable. I am happy with them but don't know how reliable they will be in the winter months. I find it hard to compare sv9 over the pv8 in terms better light output, resistance and reduced weight savings when riding over 3 different bikes.   The only downside being that the lamp dims down a lot when you brake to a standstill and take an age to light up from stationary compared with B&M lamps. I would be biased towards SP hubs as I have 3 SP dynamo front wheels. ( 2 rim brakes and 1 disc).
CCS - Setting the Standards

BFC

« Reply #13277 on: 12 March, 2019, 03:29:54 pm »
Currently running 3 SP PV8 front hubs on 3 of the bikes - one set of bearings were feeling very indexed with a lot of vibration coming up through the handlebars until I re greased them (at approx 7,500 often wet miles). Nice to know that someone has an SV9 with revo light and it basically works for audax speeds, design looks the same as the PV8 just smaller.

BFC

« Reply #13278 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:21:37 pm »
Looking for a new build but a retro styled Titanium Fixed wheel road frame with tough forks (Titanium preferred), bottle cage fixings, rim brakes, mudguard fixings and clearance with 28mm tyres, threaded bottom bracket.

Considering Burls, could ask Laverack.

Any Ideas? Carbon (forks or frame) is not an option.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13279 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:46:22 pm »
Looking for a new build but a retro styled Titanium Fixed wheel road frame with tough forks (Titanium preferred), bottle cage fixings, rim brakes, mudguard fixings and clearance with 28mm tyres, threaded bottom bracket.

Considering Burls, could ask Laverack.

Any Ideas? Carbon (forks or frame) is not an option.

Adamski otp has a nice custom Burls [I think] fixed Audax bike  - titanium frame and steel forks. Not sure if titanium forks are likely to be an option - all the ti frames I've seen have either carbon or steel forks.

If the Witham peloton would like a route for tomorrow evening then I should like to offer THIS ROUTE for earnest consideration  :-*

That's an easily interceptable route for me if I can get away early enough - I'll see the peloton somewhere between Felsted and Willows Green.  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13280 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:15:33 am »
If the Witham peloton would like a route for tomorrow evening then I should like to offer THIS ROUTE for earnest consideration  :-*

Who's Earnest?  Do we have a new boy?  Has he had his initiation yet?  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #13281 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:52:15 am »
He’s the new me. You coming out this evening?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13282 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:57:46 am »
Planning to - not sure if I'll catch you at Spa, or Peg Millars (or the pub).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13283 on: 13 March, 2019, 11:57:46 am »
 :thumbsup:

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #13284 on: 13 March, 2019, 01:48:13 pm »
I’m working tonight but might try to pop down later as you’re close
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13285 on: 13 March, 2019, 04:19:30 pm »
I am keeping the wind strength under observation, if it continues to be as strong as it is at the moment I am disinclined to venture out, I was hoping it would have calmed down by now  :-\

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13286 on: 13 March, 2019, 04:46:02 pm »
I am keeping the wind strength under observation, if it continues to be as strong as it is at the moment I am disinclined to venture out, I was hoping it would have calmed down by now  :-\

Forecast to reduce over the next hours, 20mph now, 14mph by the time you venture out at 19:30 and 12 for your tailwind return.  I think you'll be fine.
Regards,

Joergen

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #13287 on: 13 March, 2019, 06:32:45 pm »
Just been out dogging dog walking, wind doesn’t seem to bad.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13288 on: 13 March, 2019, 06:37:24 pm »
Agreed.

« Reply #13289 on: 17 March, 2019, 08:34:10 pm »
Broad’s Green this week? Weather is looking rather benign compared to recent bluster.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13290 on: 18 March, 2019, 09:11:16 am »
Broad’s Green this week? Weather is looking rather benign compared to recent bluster.

We've put off The Viper a few times - Walnut Tree is more a winterpub for frozen roads... I think I'd prefer The Viper?

https://goo.gl/maps/1Bg4k3TDzUM2
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #13291 on: 18 March, 2019, 09:30:37 am »

We've put off The Viper a few times - Walnut Tree is more a winterpub for frozen roads... I think I'd prefer The Viper?

https://goo.gl/maps/1Bg4k3TDzUM2

It's a bit further from my direction, but the Viper is ok for me.

« Reply #13292 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:08:07 am »
Viper should have just had a change of landlord, not sure whether that is a good or bad thing.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13293 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:32:57 am »
Viper should have just had a change of landlord, not sure whether that is a good or bad thing.

It was open when I rode past last week, google reviews look OK as well... I might call in this evening / tomorrow for a check out.... I think Bobb has been for coffee there of late?
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13294 on: 18 March, 2019, 12:37:24 pm »
Same staff at The Viper, just a change of owner.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #13295 on: 18 March, 2019, 01:23:20 pm »
I like having the 'menu' in advance. Is this a new service that we can expect each week?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13296 on: 18 March, 2019, 03:25:20 pm »
I like having the 'menu' in advance. Is this a new service that we can expect each week?

I think you'll find it's a team sport with at least 2 other contributors (OD & BFC)  :thumbsup: 

I'm not sure this should be a regular thing, just where we have a doubt about a place since we last went there (a good example will be 3 Elms when/if it re-opens)   :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #13297 on: 18 March, 2019, 04:09:34 pm »

I think you'll find it's a team sport with at least 2 other contributors (OD & BFC)  :thumbsup: 

I'm more than happy to help. The Gate in Sawbridgeworth and The Cock in Hatfield Broad Oak must be on the horizon once the evenings get lighter.

« Reply #13298 on: 18 March, 2019, 09:28:08 pm »
I think Bobb has been for coffee there of late?

Quite a few times recently. Not noticed anything different, just the usual day time staff when I've been in...

Seeing as it appears to be the Viper on Wed and the weather looks to be good, I may well drag myself out  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13299 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:38:03 pm »
I think Bobb has been for coffee there of late?

Quite a few times recently. Not noticed anything different, just the usual day time staff when I've been in...

Seeing as it appears to be the Viper on Wed and the weather looks to be good, I may well drag myself out  :)

Will be great to see you!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen