Author Topic: What e-bike  (Read 1771 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
What e-bike
« on: 07 February, 2020, 11:36:57 pm »
Excuse me if this as been previously done - my wife is looking to join me on off road rides (forest trails/gravel) and is interested in an e-bike through a work scheme. Any advice or recommendations?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: What e-bike
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2020, 11:48:16 pm »
Depends how 'off road' you're talking. If you mean towpaths and light gravel that's more distinct from a full squish alpine climbing model.

In my view it's more important to get the 'bike' part right than the 'e' part. Unfortunately a lot of ebikes seem to be fitted with very nasty cheap parts in order to make them fit a certain price bracket. My first (and so far only) ebike was from Decathlon, it was fine in terms of the motor but it just produced all kinds of clicks and problems to the point that I took it back.

There was a unit that we had in the office the other week that was basically a steel gravel - hybrid thing with a rohloff-belt drive, and a bosch front hub motor conversion which was apparently pretty great. I don't have a name for it right now, I'll ask on Monday.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2020, 12:09:14 am »
In my view it's more important to get the 'bike' part right than the 'e' part.

I don't disagree, but while the motor systems all perform fairly similarly on paper, the differences in *how* they apply power can be a love-or-hate thing.  Different systems are likely to appeal depending on whether you're after eg. a smooth cycling-but-easier experience or a sharp-boost-of-power-to-get-you-going.  In short, test ride a few, even if they're on not-quite-the-right-bike.  Preferably including a non-trivial climb.

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2020, 06:50:51 am »
I'm not up to date with current models and certainly not the of road models but I always say that getting the right electric bike is a process rather than an event as you can't know which will be best until you have experience of the models and also ones own riding ability. So if always advise getting a cheaper / second hand model as a first step in order to start the learning process.
you'll get better advice on specific models on the pedelecs forum

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2020, 08:21:26 am »
Depends how 'off road' you're talking. If you mean towpaths and light gravel that's more distinct from a full squish alpine climbing model.

In my view it's more important to get the 'bike' part right than the 'e' part. Unfortunately a lot of ebikes seem to be fitted with very nasty cheap parts in order to make them fit a certain price bracket. My first (and so far only) ebike was from Decathlon, it was fine in terms of the motor but it just produced all kinds of clicks and problems to the point that I took it back.

There was a unit that we had in the office the other week that was basically a steel gravel - hybrid thing with a rohloff-belt drive, and a bosch front hub motor conversion which was apparently pretty great. I don't have a name for it right now, I'll ask on Monday.

edited - forest trails/gravel

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2020, 08:22:16 am »
I'm not up to date with current models and certainly not the of road models but I always say that getting the right electric bike is a process rather than an event as you can't know which will be best until you have experience of the models and also ones own riding ability. So if always advise getting a cheaper / second hand model as a first step in order to start the learning process.
you'll get better advice on specific models on the pedelecs forum

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2020, 08:41:17 am »
Looking harder, this was the system: https://www.arccbikes.com/products/arcc-abington-electric

The ARCC front hub motor with a Bosch battery. Tom said it was really surprisingly good, took him up Swains Lane no problems.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2020, 08:51:34 am »
I recall some e-bike hire in passing when I was last in Ambleside in September.  It might be worth seeing what a hire company uses in such an environment as reliability and longevity should matter to them as much as capability.

IIRC they had a bespoke frame with the motor driving the bottom bracket.  I didn't pay too much attention though.

« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2020, 09:02:42 am »
I have an ARCC system on a Moulton ATB which can be configured as a solo or tandem, and have used e-mode with both, including solo off-road. ARCC also offer their own "conventional" e-bikes.

Very thoroughly engineered system, using Bosch power tool batteries.

« Reply #9 on: 09 February, 2020, 10:21:50 am »
You also have to consider the type of bike/motor you want. Bikes such as the Orbea Gain have a lower torque motor, smaller capacity battery and are light weight (for an e-bike). These type of bikes are designed to ride like an ordinary bike, you control the level of assistance on the difficult bits, but they won't power you up steep hills. At the other end of the scale there are those who want to put their feet up, twist a throttle and expect an e-bike to do all the work. Both have their merits and disadvantages.

« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:21:06 am »
A lot of threads about ebikes, not sure this is the best place, but NHK World (Japanese BBC) has a 15 minute video about how Yamaha invented the ebike:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/topinventions/20200402/2072017/

Interestingly, prompted by the introduction of compulsory helmets for motorcyclists.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:14:56 pm »
Having been 'at the sharp end' for the better part of 5 years, I have some advice for you.

3 words, actually.

Shimano, Bosch, Yamaha.

If you insist on a conversion the only one I would consider would be Bafang - mid-drive only. If you're at all sensitive to q-factor then that's out, too.

I have come to the conclusion that wheel driven motor conversions are this:

UNIVERSALLY UTTER SHITE.

Seriously, don't bother. I've stopped selling, fitting & servicing them.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.