Author Topic: Audaxing - and me....!  (Read 2947 times)

Audaxing - and me....!
« on: 29 December, 2009, 06:40:59 pm »
I have been a member of YACF since the beginning (well, almost..!) and have spoken to most of the regulars at events during 2007 (although I wont be recognised by many as I'm quite shy and pretty much on the fringe).

I completed PBP in 2007, had a strong 2008 and was all set to have a go at LEL this year when I was struck down by bouts of extreme fatigue at the start of 2009. I did the Haslingfield 200 and suffered terribly afterwards and then brought up the rear on The Elinith and again, suffered afterwards in a way that was completely alien to me. I then hung my bike up and have barely been able to ride since. Although entered for LEL, I had to accept it just wasn't going to be. Still, there was always next year and PBP to begin qualifying for....

Like many I had grand plans for later life and 'rides to do before I die' (to ride across America, more PBP's etc). But countless tests and visits to the hospital have resulted in a likelihood that, aged 45, I have Multiple Sclerosis  :'(

I still don't know what that means for me in the near future but I think it would be fair to say my audaxing days and long distance cycling are now well and truly behind me.

I guess if there is to be a message from my sorry tale, it is this: make the most of the fitness you have and do the things you want to do when you can - and don't put them off for another time).

Keep on pedalling..... :thumbsup:

border-rider

Re: Audaxing - and me....!
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2009, 06:47:03 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  I hope you may be able to do a few gentle 200s on good days, at the least, and we may meet again on the road.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2009, 06:50:59 pm »
I guess if there is to be a message from my sorry tale, it is this: make the most of the fitness you have and do the things you want to do when you can - and don't put them off for another time).
Wise words - "thanks for sharing", as they say.

It is experiences like yours that help motivate me to do something with my good health (I hesitate to call it fitness) while I have it.

funnily enough, I know another PBP ancien with MS. He's done LEJOG as well - very inspirational. Remember, PBP is much more of an achievement than many perfectly healthy people manage in their lives.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:15:50 pm »
A PBP plus all the qualifiers is still more than most members of AUK have done in a year though. At least you did it while you could. :thumbsup:

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »
Sorry to hear that.

Obviously I no nothing of your personal condition, but MS does not necessarily mean the end to long-distance cycling.

Tony Lonero was diagnosed with MS in 2001 but finished PBP in 2007, 1001 Miglia in 2008 and LEL this year.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Mj0Fgg2bt4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7Mj0Fgg2bt4&rel=1</a>
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:27:01 pm »
wish you all the best - hope you can find a level of activity that is challenging and rewarding.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:36:33 pm »
i hope that you are able to do "a Lonero "

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:58:00 pm »
That's really sad - so sorry to hear this :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:17:45 pm »
Sorry to hear this. I managed (just) to complete a 300 after I was diagnosed with MS but now struggle to walk round my house.
I never did PBP; it was always beyond me. I managed 1000km - that was enough.
There are always other ways to get involved and others worse off.

MS is a nuisance for myself and my friends but I am otherwise well, not in pain and in good spirits.

Keep well and try not to mope.

All the best.

« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:22:11 pm »
Does anyone know what causes MS in the first place?

« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:28:23 pm »
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  Hopefully some of the posts up above will help lift your spirits and encourage you to continue riding for as long as you feel you want to.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:29:46 pm »
No.
There are theories about viruses, heredity and Vitamin D but we don't really know.

« Reply #12 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:35:45 pm »
Scary

JJ

« Reply #13 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:46:53 pm »
DGE, I'm very sorry to hear this news.  I imagine that it must bring a psychological blow to add to the physical.

I understand that there are up times as well as down, and hope you get plenty of them.  Perhaps you can manage to fit some riding into the ups.

All the best

JJ

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #14 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:29:15 pm »
I have to admit that I occasionally wondered where you had got to. We crossed paths earlier this year - near Diss.
Now if you feel like a gentle toddle on the bike of course - to a local pub ( or even just round the block)  at any time - give me a bell 01508 470478 - I am not very good at support - but if a cyclists company is of any use at any time- count me in.

I will take heed of your advice - and try to fill the days.
Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #15 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:56:13 am »
Thank you all for your kind words and support. It does mean a lot to me.

I take immense inspiration from the achievements of Tony Lonero and only hope that I can still get out on a long ride and experience again that 'what on earth am I doing this for' feeling.....

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #16 on: 30 December, 2009, 10:30:36 am »
Crumbs. Sorry to hear your news but thanks for sharing it with us nonetheless.

H

gordon taylor

« Reply #17 on: 30 December, 2009, 11:54:19 am »
I wish you all the best and hope that the long rides will be possible at some point in the future.
Take care.

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #18 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:16:48 pm »
All the best D.G.E. Don't know if we've ever ridden together but hope you'll be able to share that 'Audax' moment with us on some more rides.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. It does mean a lot to me.

I take immense inspiration from the achievements of Tony Lonero and only hope that I can still get out on a long ride and experience again that 'what on earth am I doing this for' feeling.....