Author Topic: Cracks in tyre tread surface---bin or use?  (Read 818 times)

Cracks in tyre tread surface---bin or use?
« on: 10 September, 2015, 01:05:06 pm »
I`ve just fitted back on a couple of old (6 years or so ), hardly used Mich Pro race 3 and noticed that there are sets hairline cracks in places on the tread. What should happen to them, they`re OK to use or do I discard?

ta
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Cracks in tyre tread surface---bin or use?
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2015, 01:20:15 pm »
Use.  The tough woven material of the tyre casing isn't bothered by mere surface cracks.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:13:23 pm »
I bought a pair of Pro 4s in the spring and tore the sidewall of one after only 5-6 weeks of use. So I bought another pair but kept the good original one as a spare. When the new rear wore thin a couple of weeks I dug out the spare and noticed lots of hairline cracks. I thought nothing of it because it was practically new.

So I think these hairline cracks form easily in Michelins and are nothing to worry about, whatever the age of the tyre.

« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2015, 06:59:12 am »
Cheers thanks chaps for reassurance :thumbsup:

I think then it`s just a case rubber is a bit perished whilst as you say casing will be fine; When fitting them I also noticed that rubber on sidewall was a bit `sticky` ie perishing but from what you both indicate nowt to worry about
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2015, 10:21:16 am »
Not all tyres even have any rubber over the sidewalls, after all.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●