Author Topic: Changing RH STI inner only....  (Read 622 times)

Changing RH STI inner only....
« on: 09 September, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »
After my crash at the weekend, the cable around the securing screw on the rear mech looks a bit the worse for wear (as the mech, though it functioned ok for the 3 miles I had left to ride home). Probably ok, but I'm off to France at the end of the month with no vehicular back-up, and don't want to risk it breaking out in the sticks.  Is it a sensible proposition to try and replace it without the faff of untaping bars to get at the outer?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Changing RH STI inner only....
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2015, 02:07:18 pm »
If the cable runs smoothly then yes.

Provided the outer is firmly lodged in the lever body the new inner will thread with a minimum of faffage...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2015, 03:44:44 pm »
Thanks John. I guess my only issue is that the lever was knocked round a bit during the crash, and subsequently knocked back by me, so outer might have moved. I'll peel the hood back and have a look see.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2015, 04:51:47 pm »
The lever will move around the bars without affecting the cable outer seating. The only issue would be if it was to move up or down which would be readily evident as it would disturb the bar tape...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2015, 09:45:11 am »
It was just knocked inwards by 10 degrees, no vertical movement, so I should be ok.