Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178920 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #4550 on: 11 November, 2011, 07:37:36 pm »
My Thorn is now the proud owner of new cables and the cabley gubbins that attaches to the hub. It works.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4551 on: 11 November, 2011, 08:46:22 pm »
Got the Ridgeback back into working order - adjusted chain tension etc.  And had to rebuild track pumps to get air into the tyres :-\
Getting there...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4552 on: 12 November, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »
I've just fettled a new rear mech hanger onto Junior#2's MTB, for the second time in as many weeks!

He's very rough with his bike.

<note to self: always have 2 spare hangers.. >

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4553 on: 12 November, 2011, 07:37:05 pm »
I've taken apart & fixed my exposure lights battery charger, Kim would be proud  :smug:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #4554 on: 12 November, 2011, 07:53:17 pm »
I have actually been sticking cyclist road signs up today.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4555 on: 12 November, 2011, 07:55:03 pm »
I finally got round to putting the left hand bracket and mirror on my Trice. The mirror has been waiting for about 2 years and it was only a chance that I was looking for something else that I found it again!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4556 on: 12 November, 2011, 08:55:59 pm »
I helped the Things diagnose an issue with chain tension on their tandem in the middle of the night.

And one of my own to do with cable tension.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4557 on: 12 November, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »
I've just fettled a new rear mech hanger onto Junior#2's MTB, for the second time in as many weeks!

Could you get hold of one of the metal mech protectors they used to sell mountain bikes with years ago, like this one.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4558 on: 13 November, 2011, 10:42:41 am »
After this abberation

2) went without tyre levers,puncture repair kit,spare tube & multi-tool.That's NEVER happened before.

last week,I've just spent half an hour making sure that the Longstaff,Trek & Langster have this stuff on board.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4559 on: 13 November, 2011, 11:40:14 am »
Stripped down the Ridley, well as far as I can, as I seem to be unable to find my Shimano crank dust cover remover!

Polished the frame, front half, rear half to be done when I can get the crankset off.

Now need to get new cables, outers and bar tape.

Looking shiny-ish so far, will look really shiny when I have finished (until I have ridden it about 5 miles then it will look all muddy again.

Oh and I found out that the forks are full carbon, not carbon blades with ally steerer, and the reason the headset was loose was that the butt expander plug had worked loose.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4560 on: 13 November, 2011, 05:40:27 pm »
Starter motor on narrowboat.

Engagement solenoid was firing, but the motor itself didn't turn over. Removed motor, dismantled it, discovered that the bush bearing was seized at one end. Freed up and lubed it, then spent an hour reassembling motor. Ended up making little clips out of old spokes to hold the brushes back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4561 on: 13 November, 2011, 05:57:27 pm »
Changed the tyres on my Marin today, from what-it-came-with to Marathons.  First time I've ever done that... which led to first time I've ever made an inner tube explode ::-) 

So I got to practice taking tyres off and putting them back on three times instead of two.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4562 on: 13 November, 2011, 06:19:27 pm »
As November's arrived the Winter bike ready for tomorrow's commute

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4563 on: 13 November, 2011, 07:32:59 pm »
As much as I'm enjoying my new Hewitt Cheviot, I finally got around to getting my Orbea Elorrio back on the road.  Today I put on a new chainset.  Comparing the teeth on the old and new chainrings, I must confess the change was long overdue (~12,000km).  I also put new brake blocks on the rear.  The front ones could be replaced as well, but as I'm planning on putting a disc brake on the front decided to save a few shekels.

Next I'll be trying to sort out the regular clicking I've been getting on the Cheviot.  Could find it last time I had it up on the stand, but it's there when pedalling. ???  Shifting also seems to be a bit off, which *should* be sorted with a bit of cable tweaking.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4564 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:30:02 pm »
Having had a fettle fail during the week when replacing the rear tyre after putting a new innertube in after my first visitation, I decided to have another go this evening.

Finally, after much fiddling, taking a few more bits apart than already done and watching a slightly more useful video on Youtube (so many even though I searched for the Nexus 8 didn't look anything like mine), I got all the bits to behave and she's back together!   :thumbsup:

I'm feeling really rather proud of myself, as that was blinking complicated!   :smug:

Feanor

« Reply #4565 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »

Could you get hold of one of the metal mech protectors they used to sell mountain bikes with years ago, like this one.

Yes, thanks, I think that may be appropriate in this case.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4566 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:31:14 pm »
Today I have been mostly mantling a Trice.

« Reply #4567 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:33:56 pm »

Is it there yet?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4568 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »

Is it there yet?

Details and pr0n in the relevant thread.

I've done all the major assembly, and some random easy accessory bits and pieces.  Need to fit the chain and sort out the adapted controls and associated cables tomorrow.  And no doubt lots of tweaking.

I'll probably have to borrow the tyres from my folding BSO for a test ride, as it seems likely that London Recumbents will want the current (incorrect) ones back.

Feanor

« Reply #4569 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:08:43 pm »
Next I'll be trying to sort out the regular clicking I've been getting on the Cheviot.  Could find it last time I had it up on the stand, but it's there when pedalling.   

I've always found pedal-rate clicks and creaks *incredibly* difficult to pin down.
As soon as you change your body-position to listen from a different angle, it always stops.

The usual suspects are:

Pedals: Take them off, grease them, re-fit them tightly.
Seat-post. Does it stop if you stand up?. Remove, clean,grease, and re-fit.
The saddle itself.
Bottom Bracket coming loose.
Flex in the frame & Front Mech postion issues causing chain to touch the cage at certain points of the revolution under power.
Shoes.  Sometimes they are the source of clicks and creaks.

And never forget:
Something on yourself.
I had a bear of a time finding a pedal-rate click-click.
It went away when I stood up.
Turned out to be coins / phone in a front pocket of my jacket getting tapped by my leg every revolution.

--
F

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4570 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:10:01 pm »
Fettled Butterfly's cassette on her fast bike, which was a shade loose and making horrible noises on Friday night.

Also tightened up my BB on the fixed.  And refreshed the RaceBlades.

Ah yes, Feanor, you've reminded me: I should sort out the creak on my Woodrup before tucking it in for hibernation.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4571 on: 15 November, 2011, 12:43:17 pm »
Today I has mostly been fettling luggage and luggage accessories. To whit, I've transplanted the rear rack of the Yellow Genesis onto the Surly, and moved the SQR block that was on the Surly onto the Genesis. Once I've got my cash-flow sorted out (ie. when I actually have a cash-flow) I may well get a Bagman for the Genesis - Camper Longflap+SQR is a bad combo as the bag sways around a lot.

Fitting the rack was not exactly straightforward, as I had to bodge together some method of offsetting the leg of the rack so it didn't foul the rear disc caliper. Nylok nuts FTW ;) All of this means that not only can I pick up the remaining odds and ends that I've left at (soon-to-be-ex)place of work, but I can also see how the new Big Apple slicks perform on the pub ride.

« Reply #4572 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »
Fitted Avid BB5s onto my Dawes MTB. I should've moved into the sunny back garden instead of doing it all on the sunless front drive. Also had to fashion a cable for the rear one.

Discovered that they BB5s were supplied with 185mm rotors instead of the 160mm ones specified. Had to reuse the ancient ones on the Dawes. Harrumph!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4573 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »
Just spent the best part of an hour fitting brake cables to my Ridley.

Front brake - 5 minutes, bish, bash, and indeed, bosh, done.
Back brake, fit, remove re-fit, try different outer at rear, try removing end caps, fit, refit, fit refit (repeat ad nauseum) they gave up and re-used the old rear bit of outer.

Couldn't face doing the gear cables right now :(  A job for tomorrow, I think.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4574 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:14:35 pm »
Discovered that they BB5s were supplied with 185mm rotors instead of the 160mm ones specified. Had to reuse the ancient ones on the Dawes. Harrumph!
On the off-chance that you're using centre-lock discs, it may interest you to know that On-One are doing the Deore RT52 rotors (160mm) for the princely sum of a fiver each.

EDIT: A linky: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BSSHRT52CR/shimano_deore_rt52_centrelock_disc_rotor