Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178927 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #8350 on: 30 September, 2013, 02:03:07 pm »
Orange bike is nearly ready to use.
I added pedals.
I added a chain tensioner.
I added a chain.
I added Luxos dynamo lamp shortened the cable and attached to the dynamo.

I went for a test ride. Something is very wrong.  The backwheel is very stiff when pedalling. Cannot cycle to work like that.
Looks like N = 3 but it isn't.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8351 on: 30 September, 2013, 02:32:29 pm »
Two new halogen bulbs in the kitchen fittings after the second death tripped the circuit breaker.

With the first one I had tried all sorts of methods to get the bulb out and couldn't work it out, so I removed the fitting from the ceiling for this one and found out that all I had to do was push and twist :facepalm:

Next thing to consider will be to get some LEDs to replace the halogens.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #8352 on: 30 September, 2013, 02:44:18 pm »
.........Next thing to consider will be to get some LEDs to replace the halogens.
I replaced some 50w halogen uplighters recently with (I think) 4w LEDs.
The performance is not breathtaking.
They were a bit dim for the job they're supposed to do before, and not much has changed.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8353 on: 30 September, 2013, 02:45:51 pm »
We replaced our halogens in the kitchen with some lovely LED lights from Costco.

They are fantastic!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #8354 on: 30 September, 2013, 04:39:43 pm »
primed the bathroom walls and first round of paint.

Ruth

« Reply #8355 on: 30 September, 2013, 07:24:01 pm »
Arranged the beautiful flowers my ex-colleagues bought for me into vases.  My house looks like someone's died.

Cleaned up after the curry 'do' last night, which took ages, but it looks great now.

Joined the gym.

Adopted two dogs at the Dogs Trust.

Ruth

« Reply #8356 on: 02 October, 2013, 04:13:18 pm »
Paid off my three (!) credit cards.

Shifted some of the boxes out of the second bedroom, as phase II of unpacking, and also getting ready for my friend to come and stay in a couple of weeks.  In the process of this, I also:-

Organised my ridiculously large quantity of cycling clothes;
Found my Garmin;
Found a book I borrowed off Deano several months ago (sorry  :-[);

Moved the enormous heavy wardrobe so I'll be able to build the Ikea bed in situ when it arrives on Saturday,

Affirmed my belief that one does not need a Bloke when it comes to moving big heavy stuff.  Although one would have been handy, don't get me wrong, and

Vacuumed the carpet.

Beer time I think.

eta:  Also I completed the second part of my root canal surgery this morning.  So accomplished all of this while drooling out of the left side of my numb face  :thumbsup: ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8357 on: 02 October, 2013, 06:26:58 pm »
Affirmed my belief that one does not need a Bloke when it comes to moving big heavy stuff.  Although one would have been handy, don't get me wrong, and

Indeed, though sometimes you do need a second pair of hands, and sometimes the most convenient set are attached to a bloke.

Otherwise, save them for proper emergencies, like those involving drains.   :D

Ruth

« Reply #8358 on: 02 October, 2013, 07:19:59 pm »
Well I have now attached my 19th century house to the 21st century internet/telly.  And there is as much on telly now as there was in 1868 so I'm listening to the radio.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8359 on: 03 October, 2013, 07:05:19 pm »
As work's resident repairer of all things electronic and Hi-Fi related, I've just been handed a genuine olde-world Dual CS-505 gramophone to fix.
It must be 20 years since I last fettled a Dual CS-505!

The guy I fixed this for just sent me an iPlayer link, apparently he thanked me on-air on Radio 2!

35:30 in:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03bqms7/Johnnie_Walkers_Sounds_of_the_70s_The_Man_Who_Shot_the_Seventies/

« Reply #8360 on: 03 October, 2013, 09:59:58 pm »
As work's resident repairer of all things electronic and Hi-Fi related, I've just been handed a genuine olde-world Dual CS-505 gramophone to fix.
It must be 20 years since I last fettled a Dual CS-505!

The guy I fixed this for just sent me an iPlayer link, apparently he thanked me on-air on Radio 2!

35:30 in:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03bqms7/Johnnie_Walkers_Sounds_of_the_70s_The_Man_Who_Shot_the_Seventies/

Love it - they played "Show me the way" for you, the Garmin theme song  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8361 on: 03 October, 2013, 11:32:50 pm »
That's nice
Getting there...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8362 on: 04 October, 2013, 11:43:21 am »
changed the gearing on ss bike from 86 to 69", to reduce the number of hills i'm walking on aaa ride tomorrow :)

tiermat

« Reply #8363 on: 04 October, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »
Made some pear chutney, then some apple, damson and blackberry jelly.

Dusted the lounge

Reorganized the garage, you can actually get into it now!

Now I need a snooze!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #8364 on: 04 October, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »
Getting the spareparts bike ready to go camping.
Adjusted the front gear mech so I can use the middle ring without chain rub.
Put The wide Schwalbe tyres back on - I thought they were Marathons, but just say 'Spezial' on the sidewalls.
They had to re-adjust the cantelever's to miss the wider tyres :( - Oh how I hate anything to do with those brakes!  >:(
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Ruth

« Reply #8365 on: 04 October, 2013, 04:00:12 pm »
Getting the spareparts bike ready to go camping.

Oh, how lovely!

I fettled my body.  First session with the personal trainer at 0800 today. 

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #8366 on: 04 October, 2013, 04:12:50 pm »
I'm about to fettle the camera so I can take some photos of the yellow bike (see classifieds thread) tomorrow when, hopefully, the sun will be out so I can take said pics outside.

The fettle itself involves making sure the battery is charged and clearing some of the cack off the SD card.

Ruth

« Reply #8367 on: 04 October, 2013, 06:56:20 pm »
Done a household budget  :-\

This is the life!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #8368 on: 04 October, 2013, 07:01:26 pm »
I showed Valencia the track pump and finish line green. 

She's marginally less squeaky in the chain department now.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #8369 on: 04 October, 2013, 08:50:26 pm »
Just in from a happy hour spent in the garage cleaning up and overhauling a Campag headset. I have always questioned the wisdom of buying secondhand bearings but this was pretty cheap so I thought I would take a chance and it has cleaned up very nicely although I did have put a few centre punch marks in the lower housing to tighten up the race which dropped out. Anyway it looks lovely and shiny and blingy now and I have put it away for the great Hanlon rebuild; of which more, no doubt, later.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #8370 on: 05 October, 2013, 01:04:54 pm »
This (well, actually last night as the time on the computer shows ...):

OrangeGina's just taken a level in badass - all you need to make lights, computers and tri-bars coexist peacefully is some 7/8" basswood dowel, a drill, a couple of HBFO zip-ties and a metric fuck-ton of self-amalgamating tape.

All I need to do now is remove the mudguards, find some 'cross tyres that I get on with ...

tiermat

« Reply #8371 on: 05 October, 2013, 03:37:08 pm »
I have attempted a fettle of the shower, it didn't work.

I guess a new cartridge and strainers are needed, I disassembled everything, gave it a good clean, a good staring at*, then put it all back together.  Then I took it all apart again, gave it another good staring at, then put it back together correctly.

*An essential part of the fettling process, I find, is staring out the object you are fettling, just in case it had any ideas about not going back how it should.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #8372 on: 05 October, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
Completely unfettled the Hanlon. All the components packed away neatly in a plastic box ready for polishing up later at the kitchen table on the cold, wet Sunday afternoons to come. Tatty looking F&F now sitting folornly in the maintenance stand awaiting its fate...I just wish I could make a decision about the colour. 

Chris S

« Reply #8373 on: 05 October, 2013, 07:28:38 pm »
I have begun fettling fboab's Dawes Horizon tandem - prior to next weekend's Warty Shenanigans.

I needed to buy a LOT more degreaser  :facepalm:.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #8374 on: 05 October, 2013, 07:49:30 pm »
Just finished the great transmission switcheroo on the two Genesis MTBs. The Fortitude is now running fixed and the High Latitude is now single speed.

By far the biggest faff was swapping the disc rotors over and fiddling with caliper clearances and the like.

There may also have been some cussin' ...