Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178749 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10300 on: 25 May, 2015, 09:38:23 pm »
At long last, nearly finished my Airfix "Shaun the Sheep" Tractor kit.  Only started it in February this year...   ::-)

Bitzer thinks - where has Timmy gone?

« Reply #10301 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:20:14 am »
At long last, nearly finished my Airfix "Shaun the Sheep" Tractor kit.  Only started it in February this year...   ::-)

Bitzer thinks - where has Timmy gone?

Grommit thinks "Ooo-er, what have I stepped in?"

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10302 on: 26 May, 2015, 03:58:51 pm »
Hung two pictures. We went a little mad whilst in Costco on Saturday and bought 3 prints. All British artists, the size of the prints the majority of the cost/value will be in the frames (one is approx 30" square), but it is supporting homegrown talent. One is a beachcomber scene (replaced Nemo in the bathroom), one a beach and beach huts scene, which has gone on the stairs. The third is a fox, I have yet to decide where that is to go!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #10303 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:37:00 pm »
Mostly the luggage on my Dave Yates, which looks proper set up now. I added an extra bottle cage under the downtube for tools, as the saddlebag I'm using makes them a bit inaccessible (and the gigantic Carradice+support was really bloody heavy). This was a bit of a bodge, as one of the Zefal thinagamibobs snapped, and I replaced it with a cable tie. Best not to ask how, but I've given it a thrash around some local offroad tracks, and nothing came pinging off. Worst-case scenario, I reckon, is I boot my tools down the road.

While I was at it, I re-mounted the Zefal Hpx under the top tube using an old Topeak mount, as the Zefal is a bit short to fit inside the frame, and my previous solution of a reusable cable tie and a toestrap was a right faff.

However, the main job (after building a new rear wheel last week, that is) was fitting one of my B17s. I think the B17N experiment is over, I never was that comfortable on the thing, and I can ride for miles on a B17 with or without special clothing. Since I'm currently N-1 until I buy a Disc Trucker, the saddle was going spare, so it'd be daft not to use it.

I just need to keep an eye on the rear tyre for this weekend's 600. I suspect I might replace it, as it looks a little worn, and the new rim is one of the super-tight Chrinas (I broke two tyre levers on it last week, one getting the tyre on and one getting it off again when I had a puncture - at least it reassured me that I could fix a puncture in the wild, though I may carry a metal tyre lever just to be sure). Mind you, there's a bit of space in the rear triangle, maybes I'll put a spare tyre in there.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10304 on: 26 May, 2015, 10:51:52 pm »
Put some caps on the Towpath Bike's rear mudguard stays only ten months after they ripped my trousers and leg to bits; put a bar-end mirror on said bike.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #10305 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:45:02 pm »
Molished a display base from a tesco value A4 certificate frame (sans glass), PVA school glue :thumbsup: and some model railway grass flocking material!

Model finished!   ;D :smug: :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10306 on: 28 May, 2015, 12:55:52 pm »
major fettle session on my new commuter bike yesterday. taken off 9speed drivetrain consisting of fsa 386evo 50/34 chainset (bottom bracket was only finger tight..), sram x5 trigger shifters and rear mech, 11-32 cassette, kmc chain, handlebar grips. installed 3x7 drivetrain: truvativ 48/38/28 chainset with un-51 bb, bar-ends near the centre for an alternative aero(ish) position, sram 3.0 twist-grip shifters and corresponding grips, sram 8sp chain, sram 3.0 rear mech, 11-28 cassette and a spacer. changed the saddle to a more comfortable one. lubed the cables, tightened the bb cable guide plate screw, which was almost fully undone. fine tuned cup-and-cone bearings, adjusted front mech, installed new flat pedals, front wheel allen key skewer.

first commute today - a great ride!

still to do: mudguards, rack and d-lock bracket.

« Reply #10307 on: 29 May, 2015, 04:00:57 pm »
Swapped the bars on my off-road bike, as I got new ones (birthday present) yesterday.
I like the On-One Mary's but for a longer ride the lack of variation gets tiring. I'm not about to buy new brakes for the sake of funny bars, so an On-One flat bar with cane creek bar ends it is. The brackets for my bar bag were a bit on the slope away from the stem, so a bit fiddly to get right. Not helped by me having the bar a little off centre the first time round  ::-)
All set now.

« Reply #10308 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »
Fitted a C5 output lead to a 12 V dc to 240 V ac inverter. I fitted it to the dc link, to give a 360 V dc output, to run a laptop from. The modified sine wave square wave with gaps output has the same peak and RMS voltages as British mainsTM but looks completely different on a 'scope. The laptop power supply has some unfathomable objection to this ersatz mains, but is perfectly happy on 360 V dc.

(On another inverter, which had a slightly lower peak voltage, the same laptop power supply ran fine. On both inverters, the peak voltage appears to be proportional to the input voltage. Both adjusted the period of the gaps in the output, probably to get the RMS voltage correct, a fraction of a second a change in the supply and peak voltages. I suspect that the laptop power supply objected to the longer gaps in the output waveform of the inverter with the higher peak voltage. Just out of interest, and other theories, anyone?)
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10309 on: 30 May, 2015, 12:06:22 am »
Today I replaced the hinges on a letter holder, and stuck a bit of wine cork on the areas where the screws were sticking through the wood.  It the past the screw that stuck through the wood had been cut off.  Then replaced a push flush on a close couple loo and added a couple of packing shims to balance the loo pan as the floor isn't flat...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #10310 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:27:40 pm »
Molished a display base from a tesco value A4 certificate frame (sans glass), PVA school glue :thumbsup: and some model railway grass flocking material!

Model finished!   ;D :smug: :thumbsup:

Brilliant.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10311 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:41:07 pm »
Made an executive decision re the machine to take on the upcoming club tour to Germany, Holland & Belgium - decided to take the 1975 Galaxy instead of the 2014 Van Nicholas Yukon ... we'll show Johnny Foreigner what 531 bikes are all about!   

Minimal fettling required since the last sortie ... checked everything was working and the pannier fittings - added a new Garmin (not real, a copy) out-front mount ... test ride tomorrow and then ready for the off on 14 June.

Rob

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #10312 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:46:31 pm »
I am stunned at your resurgence, Rob. Stunned and stoked. Long may it continue.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #10313 on: 30 May, 2015, 06:52:41 pm »
Being rather taken with the convenience of my traditional Crocs, I splashed out on a pair of their deck shoes. Quite a good price and they look rather good too. However, they were a bit snug seeing as they are 10s on a pair of 10.5 feet. I did consider returning them, but had the brainwave that the plasticky/rubbery material they are made from might become pliable in hot water. It does! On the first attempt I rather overdid things and they were too long. Luckily I could mould them back a little and they now fit perfectly.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10314 on: 31 May, 2015, 02:56:19 pm »
David patched a p*nct*re on the front tyre of his Cooper, used no tools and had pretty clean hands when he finished.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10315 on: 31 May, 2015, 03:05:38 pm »
What, not even a pump?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10316 on: 31 May, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
Went and got inducted into Dundee Makerspace. A good space, bit sparse in terms of kit just yet but gradually picking up.

Burned holes in some plastic and came home happy.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10317 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:15:50 pm »
What, not even a pump?

d'oh!
<pedant>

A pump need not be used to patch a tube...

;) ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10318 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:40:14 pm »
Transferred tube & tyre from coggly new wheel to uncoggly old one, put new cassette on.  P'd orf with that wheel, it was coggly new, was refettled by LBS and went coggly again 5 km from home.

Lovely warm day, one of the dogs came in and flopped down on the cool concrete floor to keep me company.  He looked as if he'd been melted, poured out and had reset in place.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #10319 on: 02 June, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »
My desk at home - much playing of tech Tetris in order to accomodate a pair of 27" monitors, a 13" laptop and a printer in roughly the same timezone.

I did consider getting one of those dual VESA mount jobbies, but decided against on the fairly sensible premise that it'd free up even more desk space to cover in crap.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10320 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:03:37 am »
An Islabike Rothan.  The headset was annoyingly loose, and now pleasingly smooth.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10321 on: 03 June, 2015, 05:46:51 pm »
It is astonishing how hot and sticky one can get from drilling two holes inna wall, baring the ends of two squeaker cables and wiring said squeakers into an amplifier.  And dusting the amplifier for the first time since 1996.  And putting everything away afterwards.

Now I just need a permanent means of feeding tune-o-voles into the amp for me to have no excuse for not sitting down and sorting a Several of years worth of paperwork chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #10322 on: 04 June, 2015, 08:28:45 am »
Last night I put the 'Dale on the work stand and cleaned the drive train- using Fenwick's foaming chain cleaner and sponge which I got as a freebie at a trade show. It actually works quite nicely. Spray the cleaner on the chain, leave it for a couple of minutes then run it through the sponge for a few revolutions. Wash off with a watering can then TF2 it. Jobs a good un.

« Reply #10323 on: 04 June, 2015, 08:34:33 pm »
Was getting bikes out for other reasons, and found that the chain on one was rather rusty and didn't bend as much as usual.  :-[  Seems I went for a winter ride and didn't clean up as well as I ought to have done. So, fresh chain, and a general spruce up. Looks OK now and is rideable again.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10324 on: 05 June, 2015, 05:38:18 pm »
prepared my hybrid bike for audax: swapped platform pedals to spd-sl, soft saddle into a firmer one, installed bottle cage, garmin mount, attached tribag, cleaned and lubed the chain, checked and pumped the tyres up.
cba'ed to cut the steerer tube and faff with star-fangled nut (one of the jobs that keeps getting postponed).