Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178759 times)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10325 on: 07 June, 2015, 08:02:39 am »
With neighbour, dug hole around rotted fence post to install a 1m concrete stabilising post. Original concrete very tough to chip away with hand tools; not as deep as we would have liked, but it should work fine.
Weirdly it is my hips & glutes that are stiff today, not shoulders & arms from chipping with a crowbar (too deep to bolsters & lump hammer).

« Reply #10326 on: 07 June, 2015, 10:55:54 pm »
A vegetable trough

What I find slightly disturbing that it was made in its entirety from stuff I had. This included:

Decking
3 x 3
Exterior stain
coach bolts
2" x 6mm and 2" x 5mm stainless screws

Amongst other stuff. As you do.

I think I have too much STUFFS lying around.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10327 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:26:59 pm »
I prefer plates, even if feeding a large number of people.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10328 on: 09 June, 2015, 12:02:15 pm »
I have completed my container garden in my back yard :smug:

I'm really pleased with it.  I managed to resurrect the significant perennials left by the previous tenants (a clematis, two virginia creepers, and what is possibly a redcurrant - plus a leggy rose type thing), and have done my best to mask the bins with trellis/plant supports for climbers.  Pride of place goes to a gorgeous Japanese acer, which cost a fortune and had better not die.  I painted the rusty garden furniture left over from my old life, and put some solar lights in which I haven't seen in action yet because they haven't charged.  Lots of bright cheerful annuals, a geum for the bees, a Mexican orange blossom, and I am now the proud owner of a sarcococca confusa, which has been potted beautifully and hopefully will last for ever, like the one my grandparents had outside their front door.

Just need to clean up my neglected house now, and hoover up all the trodden-in compost  :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10329 on: 09 June, 2015, 12:51:37 pm »
Nice work, Ham & Ruthie. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #10330 on: 09 June, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »
Yesterday:
Replaced Mrs B's blown out tyre (temporarily fixed with a boot to enable her to cycle home on Sunday, by one of her fellow riders), with an old part-used Gatorskin, so she can do the Wednesday evening ride to the Bell at Aldworth (voted best pub in every geographical category it falls into).

Today:
The two new tyres I ordered for her from Tredz on Sunday night turned up. So now I have to change her tyre again.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10331 on: 09 June, 2015, 09:27:23 pm »
Put a Topeak light-carrying bar-extender thinggy on me new plaskit bike.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #10332 on: 11 June, 2015, 08:50:28 pm »
Used some liquid thin Cyanoacrylate to glue my very wee balls into the aircraft part of the revel 1:144 scale Virgin Galactic "White Knight Two and Space Ship Two" kit I'm building.

Superglue and uber small weighted balls ftw.

Handy things, ebay "herb" scales!   ;D

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10333 on: 11 June, 2015, 10:05:09 pm »
Swapped the studded tyres off the tourer, at last, but in the process lost the pathetic teeny grub screw out the front brake.  Again.  I guess I'm not riding that one to Hornby Laithe bunkbarn tomorrow  ::-)

I might just dump the thing at the LBS and ask them to sort it, I've broken two nails and got very grumpy now.  But that would cost munny.  Bah.  I am no good at fettling bikes.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #10334 on: 12 June, 2015, 12:02:35 pm »
Used some liquid thin Cyanoacrylate to glue my very wee balls....

This reminds me of a very unfortunate accident I had many year ago... :-\

« Reply #10335 on: 13 June, 2015, 09:53:46 pm »
Three duff 18v batteries into 2 good 'uns.

Built six stretchers for some canvases and installed said paintings, prior to framing. Note to self: when measuring using a steel tape measure, it is a good idea to start from 10cm ensuring accuracy. It is not a good idea to forget to take those 10cm off the final measure. Failure to do so consistently may result in having to chop out two 10cm corners.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10336 on: 13 June, 2015, 11:33:05 pm »
installed a few new parts on the audax bike: carbon handlebars, dura ace shifters, sram force 11-26 cassette, dura ace cable set, kmc x10sl gold chain. took me quite a while!
still to wrap a bar tape and apply frame protectors to a head tube.

« Reply #10337 on: 14 June, 2015, 08:51:04 pm »
The frames today. Mostly very pleased with the outcome, all perfectly square, all perfectly flat, all perfect size. All perfect size, that is, except for one. Yes, the one I was taking most care over, the one that was for the best picture, the one that I cut the stretcher  10 cm too big.  The one in a solid oak frame. Yes, the one I was measuring three times and cutting once.

If anyone has seen that 2mm that I KNOW I measured, please send it back?

I haz a little routing to do (40mm depth!)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #10338 on: 14 June, 2015, 09:16:18 pm »
I shortened the strap on my guitar after reading an article called 'How to play bar chords without screaming in agony'.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10339 on: 15 June, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »
Fettled a hetty back in to life.  Dismantled the thing to diagnose the issue and replaced the plug, and shortened the cable slightly inside and now it is back to life....

« Reply #10340 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:36:05 pm »
Failed to fettle my saddle to a better position as I'd just eyeballed the old seatpost diameter against a rule and so bought the wrong size layback seatpost  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #10341 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:40:29 pm »
Opened a cardboard box, using a trusty knife. Inside was a pair of cable cutters from Park Tools, courtesy of those nice Wiggle people, who had knocked a tenner off the price. And I didn't even have to walk all the way to the rubbish bin to insert the tiny packet of crap sweets they sometimes give you. A bonus.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10342 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:42:26 pm »
Replaced the flaky downstairs phone and associated ATA[1] with a Snom 300 on the basis that once I've sorted out the wiring and the config it's likely to give a great many years of trouble-free service.

Replaced the leaky doughnut on the semi-permanent bath-taps-into-shower adaptor.  This involved rusty jubilee clips, swearing and lashings and lashings of self-amalgamating tape.  But it's still better than the landlord-issue 7500W pissy electric shower.

[1] Linksys PAP2 with a power supply fault and a peculiar habit of blinking out "SOS" in morse on the status LEDs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10343 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:43:25 pm »
And I didn't even have to walk all the way to the rubbish bin to insert the tiny packet of crap sweets they sometimes give you. A bonus.

Those are supposed to go in your saddlebag, as a reminder not to ride too long without eating proper food.

« Reply #10344 on: 15 June, 2015, 11:44:37 pm »
And I didn't even have to walk all the way to the rubbish bin to insert the tiny packet of crap sweets they sometimes give you. A bonus.

Those are supposed to go in your saddlebag, as a reminder not to ride too long without eating proper food.

Mine never last that long. They're normally gone before I even get to unpacking whatever it is I actually bought... :-[

« Reply #10345 on: 16 June, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »
In the process of converting the Orbit Orion from 7-speed hub gears to 27-speed derailleurs, I had to snip some bites out of the broad mudguards so they'd fit the Pompetamine front fork. I also had to do some impromptu stay fettling to get it to fit into the hook push-fit end bit. Fiddly. I also learned quite a lot about alternative cable runs, inasmuch as they don't have to go via the bottom bracket. That's a win in my book, as that cable guide that fits under the BB always gets clagged up.

I also assembled a fish sonar device for my neighbour. He asked rather gracelessly and once it was assembled he decided it wasn't what he wanted. He got on the phone to the supplier, so I escaped. He still had the cheek to ask me to disassemble it, but I was busy on the Orbit fettling and declined his kind offer.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10346 on: 17 June, 2015, 11:52:06 am »

Being vegetarian, I tend to save them for when I am selling on bits.

But I haven't bought owt from Wiggle lately, so my stock may be out of date :(
Getting there...

« Reply #10347 on: 17 June, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »
I also assembled a fish sonar device for my neighbour. He asked rather gracelessly and once it was assembled he decided it wasn't what he wanted. He got on the phone to the supplier, so I escaped. He still had the cheek to ask me to disassemble it, but I was busy on the Orbit fettling and declined his kind offer.
I'll give him top marks for persistence and brass neck. Whilst eating my late lunch he stood outside asking for me. When I said I was eating and wouldn't budge, but see him a little later, he stood his ground until I went outside. "I've got a replacement." was all he said. Not "I've got a replacement and would appreciate some help, please." As it happens, I'm busy, but didn't really beat around the bush in letting him know. I wouldn't mind, but he has two sons who live quite locally and go fishing with him. Get them to help you, mate.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #10348 on: 18 June, 2015, 01:07:12 am »
"I've got a replacement." was all he said.

I'd have thought "Oh. That's good" would have been a full and adequate response.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10349 on: 18 June, 2015, 04:07:52 am »
As I have learnt a good deed never goes un forgotten.