Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178851 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15275 on: 19 October, 2020, 03:05:27 pm »
a known M10 locknut or cone

Er... "known" assumes I would have the faintest idea what's on any of my other wheels...  ;D

I just tried a nut from the Brompton rear wheel and it was a very rattly fit. And the nut from the Quando hub wouldn't go onto the Brompton axle. (It's a 3spd Sachs hub in the the Brompton.)

I'm guessing this indicates it's very likely a 3/8" axle?

Anyway, thanks for the insight - it's most educational and much appreciated.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15276 on: 19 October, 2020, 03:11:15 pm »
Most SRAM internal-gear hubs = 10.5mm x 26 TPI, so not a particularly useful comparison for you. For reference, Shimano = 10 x 1mm.

My expectation is 3/8" x 26 TPI but measuring will be more useful than my guess.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

« Reply #15277 on: 19 October, 2020, 05:54:09 pm »
For reference, Shimano = 10 x 1mm.

Bingo! I tried the locknuts off an old Tiagra (4400) hub and an even older 105 (5500) hub, and both fitted perfectly, so I took a punt on the 10mm option, which my local Halfords happened to have in stock. Also picked up a couple of the cone spanners mentioned by Ham earlier while I was there.

Job's a good'un. I owe you a large one.  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15278 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:37:49 pm »
Check that the dropouts are parallel, otherwise it is only a matter of time before the new axle breaks.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

« Reply #15279 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:01:09 pm »
Check that the dropouts are parallel, otherwise it is only a matter of time before the new axle breaks.

Interesting. My suspicion was that it broke because the wheel wasn't seated properly in the dropouts. And I assumed that was simply down to careless fitting, but I will check the dropouts.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15280 on: 20 October, 2020, 01:16:39 pm »
My Cherry Bomb rear light was misbehaving - the switch acctuator that passes through the case wasn't reaching the actal switch on the pcb. Application of a slither of insulating tape to the top of the switch as a shim was sufficient to restore switchy goodness.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15281 on: 21 October, 2020, 03:01:54 pm »
Day off, so cleaned out the cupboard under the stairs (which involved getting all the DVDs back in order) then stripped and cleaned some 7810 SPD-SLs, Mr Shimano's finest pedals.  The lip seal on one was getting chewed, but I had a spare from a PD-9000.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #15282 on: 21 October, 2020, 06:56:23 pm »
Also screwed the humungous bench vice to the oak platform I molished at the weekend, using M12 coach screws.  You don't often get to use a 19mm spanner on a woodscrew!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15283 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:46:28 pm »
I’m mid-fettle. The washing machine developed a clang. The entire internet suggests the bearings have gone. I’m going to fix it or condemn it and replace. First time inside one of these for me.

The top, back, front, soap drawer and weight are all off and resting in (variously) the kitchen, hall, dining and front room.

Tonight I figured out how the motor comes off so that’s happening tomorrow. Then it’s the springs.

Very satisfying.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15284 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:48:28 pm »
If you can't get it back together, it's traditional at this point to build a track bike.

Paul

« Reply #15285 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:50:18 pm »
 ;D

Can I make a time machine with any leftovers?

« Reply #15286 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:51:54 pm »
Homebuilt C5 with the motor?

Paul

« Reply #15287 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:52:55 pm »
Robot Wars!

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #15288 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:23:36 pm »
Cheesoid!

Paul

« Reply #15289 on: 22 October, 2020, 10:52:05 pm »
Sealed. Bloody. Drum. >:(

So I’ve had to order £150 worth of drum just to replace £10 worth of bearings.

Can someone direct me to the rant thread, please? I feel as though I have something to get off my chest.

« Reply #15290 on: 22 October, 2020, 11:05:09 pm »
Bastards.
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15291 on: 23 October, 2020, 08:40:03 am »
Sealed. Bloody. Drum. >:(

So I’ve had to order £150 worth of drum just to replace £10 worth of bearings.

Can someone direct me to the rant thread, please? I feel as though I have something to get off my chest.

You're beyond the "value judgement" in terms of replacement by the sound of it - and sadly throw all those good "saving the world" thoughts to the wind.

Recent experience with a machine at one of our properties : packed up - almost 10 years old - diagnosis of symptoms from repair man over the phone - man to come and look with part and fit (assuming diagnosis was correct) ~£140 - no contest against £299 for an exact replacement (cheaper than the original 10 years ago??)

The upside is, if any, that the old machine was taken away and potentially be broken for spares/refurbished or whatever so a crumb or two of comfort for the environment.

robgul

« Reply #15292 on: 23 October, 2020, 12:54:18 pm »
Just browsing the news this gives a glimmer of hope   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54612879

Believe it when you see it?

« Reply #15293 on: 23 October, 2020, 03:30:41 pm »
Zee hub gear on the foldy bike have been a bit clickety clackety since I got it. But not very much so and not having had hub gears before I thought this was normal. I'd been intending to look up how to check the cable tension but hadn't done it. On my ride home yesterday it seemed noisier so I finally hunted down the appropriate pdf this afternoon.

Well it was fairly out of line and on testing post adjustment the gears are nearly silent  :facepalm:

Ooops, hopefully I've not done too much damage to the internals. I've only done a couple hundred miles since getting it so fingers crossed.

That done I reminded myself of the process to disconnect the cable in the event of needing the rear wheel out and attempted it in the warm dry kitchen. Good thing too as I felt there was a bit of a knack to it and the outer ferrule and its boss had somewhat bonded to each other which isn't surprising as it's a 2013 bike and I don't think the back wheel has ever been out.

Now I've had it in and out it should be easier if I do get a puncture out on the road and I won't need to be trying to find instructions in the rain. With any luck.

My next task at some point is to think about opening the hub up and servicing it if it needs it. I don't think it's done much mileage but it has at times been stored out in a garden with not much protection from the elements.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

rogerzilla

« Reply #15294 on: 23 October, 2020, 07:04:26 pm »
Started refurbing the small bench vice.  Took it apart, cleaned off decades of gunk and removed the surface rust with steel wool.  Needs the unmachined bits od the casting cleaning with a wire brush before repainting.  Ordered some 1/8" split pins for reassembly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15295 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:14:00 pm »
Just browsing the news this gives a glimmer of hope   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54612879

Believe it when you see it?

Anything subject to Moore's Law is a lost cause, but encouraging manufacturers to use more screws and less glue and heat stakes in small appliances can only be a good thing.

I wonder if it will cover internet-of-shit issues?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15296 on: 24 October, 2020, 01:06:07 am »
People who think this is a good idea:
  • The Lib-Dems
  • The Green
  • The French (WICAB)
It'll never happen here then.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

« Reply #15297 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:39:54 pm »
Fitted a new mech hanger to a friend's bike last night .. the old one had got bent and when I took the wheel out the hanger was wobbling about as both of the tiny retaining screws were stripped (he bought the bike about 6 weeks ago, s/h) - then today cleaned my Brompton and serviced the front hub (probably last saw grease when it was built in about 2004) and after that fitted the Raceblades to my Ti "winter road bike" (see my Div thread post today  :facepalm: )

Then onto woodwork to rout the slots in the timber for a display case I'm making for one of those 2014 poppies - after that modified the fence of the router table to be able to fit featherboards that keep workpieces in position.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15298 on: 24 October, 2020, 05:55:19 pm »
Yesterday I fettled the unreachable top shelf in our wardrobe. Along with 16 years worth of dust & grue (atchoo!) I found 2 of Pingu's dead bike jackets, 2 pumps of unknown function, a flapjack BBE 2015, a freezer bag full of very tough Jelly Babies and 13 (!) handbags.
Today in the lower echelons I found a few things that had been worn so long ago I decided they might as well go to charity so I took them there enroute to buying lunch.
After lunch I bunged a load of work shirts (unworn since March) in a storage box which went on the unreachable top shelf after a bit of Krypton Factor. Then I took a load of work jumpery things which have been getting worn and put them on hangers where the shirts had previously been.
Having thusly freed up half a drawer of space, I hoovered it out and made that a full bike wear drawer so now it's all tidy and my Assos shorts don't keep trying to climb out and get trapped down the back or pinched in between.
Then I hoovered out all the dust & grue from behind, beside and on top of Pingu's chest of drawers. Though it feels like that's mostly in my lungs now than in the vac.
I could probably do with doing another couple of drawers but that was enough for one day.

Then I took one of the crap feather filled sofa cushions and rammed in a load of polyester filling I had left over from making a draught excluder, in the hope that I can have a supportive cushion to lean against when the cats have stolen my Poang.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15299 on: 24 October, 2020, 08:41:14 pm »
Started the day by roasting my first (and probably last) spaghetti squash. Probably overcooked it a bit, but the shredded interior was ok baked under a layer of ragu. Then a cauldron of watercress soup, using the neglected watercress from the garden. And finally got around to (re)repairing the fireback with fire cement, something that gets done every year or two. That’ll get a couple of weeks to dry out before the first fire (actually probably 3 as my wife’s away for the first weekend of November).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)