Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178708 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16725 on: 28 March, 2022, 02:19:51 pm »
By dint of highly scientific bolt-loosening and wheel-banging on floor, managed to pull my front end together.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16726 on: 28 March, 2022, 04:44:10 pm »
Bugger. Gearbox to the rear door espagnolette decided to grind to a locked halt today. Locksmith needed.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16727 on: 28 March, 2022, 05:44:47 pm »
Fitted a tortec rack, that I'd bought for her birthday, to my Young Lady's bike. The bike, thankfully, has rack mounts on the seat stays (something I'd failed to check before buying the rack) but they are bottle type bosses facing rearward rather than outward.

Scrabbled in the Pot of Fasteners and turned up a couple of bits of stainless steel, originally meant as rear mudguard to mudguard bridge brackets. Bent these to the correct shape using my King Dick as a makeshift vice and another adjustable spanner. Channeling my inner Blondihacks/This Old Tony, I drilled holes, using some mole grips to hold things steady. Really really slow drill speed and plenty of pressure was the trick. After that it was straight forward. Quite Pleased with the result.

The metal on the mudguard clips may be a bit thin for the purpose (having fettled stuff from them myself they bend/flex) - p-clips are a better and stronger solution for un-bossed rear stays and rack mounts.
Point taken. It's not the brake bridge clip but the two part clip that goes onto the chainstay bridge. Looks about 1mm thick. I'll keep an eye on it.

Very odd bosses - what make is the bike?    Was it originally supplied with some strange accessory that bolted to the bosses?   - and the vee-brake that appears to be on the inside of the stays is unusual too?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16728 on: 28 March, 2022, 06:40:07 pm »

It's a Giant Hyde Park. It has two sets of eyelets on the drop outs, which suggests built for rack mounting.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16729 on: 31 March, 2022, 04:01:30 pm »
Swapped the rear tyre on the Electric Cow for a Schwalbe Durano, which I'm told is practically bomb-proof, and I'm hoping that the Slime tube in it will make it even more so.  I really don't want to have to fix a flat on that wheel: it took 20-odd minutes of painful pushing and pulling just to get it out of the dropouts.  Another reason to get a bike that'll take a 135mm axle.

Also de-gunked the chain, washed it in boiling water and plonked it into the wax/PTFE bath.  I'd been running it with the grease it came with: bleh.

robgul

« Reply #16730 on: 31 March, 2022, 07:33:12 pm »

It's a Giant Hyde Park. It has two sets of eyelets on the drop outs, which suggests built for rack mounting.

The bosses like that, and the fact that the brake is inside the stays, suggest that they might be for a "nurse's lock" to bolt onto.    Google finds some images for the Giant Hyde Park in both genders - those with racks appear to be using p-clips?

« Reply #16731 on: 31 March, 2022, 09:00:28 pm »
I've got an older motorbike to recommission with gummed up carb's so I invested in an ultrasonic cleaner.

The first clean was bicycle chain, cassette and chain rings.

Sorry no pictures - but this is one of those tools where I definitely feel, "I should have bought this ages ago!"

Much sparkle. I am actively looking for things to clean!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16732 on: 31 March, 2022, 09:44:05 pm »
There's nothing quite like the spectacle wearer's first shot with a cleaner, standing there watching horrified at the amount of groad coming off the nose pieces.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16733 on: 01 April, 2022, 07:09:58 am »
There's nothing quite like the spectacle wearer's first shot with a cleaner, standing there watching horrified at the amount of groad coming off the nose pieces.

Ha ha - I didn't think of spectacles: Thanks - they are going in!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16734 on: 01 April, 2022, 07:35:15 am »
I've got an older motorbike to recommission with gummed up carb's so I invested in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Sorry no pictures - but this is one of those tools where I definitely feel, "I should have bought this ages ago!"

Should I send you my chain, which is currently soaking in a jar of diesel, having taken the opportunity whilst I changed the front tyre on the FWD recumbent.  The wheel slip had got to the point where it was happening on the flats, in the dry as well as in the wet.  Comparing the new GP 4 Seasons with the one that was on there, it was apparent why, worn completely smooth and squared off
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

« Reply #16735 on: 01 April, 2022, 07:57:36 am »

Indeed - I did buy one ages ago - it's about a 2.5 litre tank - .... bike parts, coffee machine filters (sterilised afterwards!) and all sort of tools and other stuff - I run mine with about half a cup of Screwfix's cheap and cheerful degreaser in the water.

« Reply #16736 on: 01 April, 2022, 10:06:16 am »
The wife's bell. Putting her bike away and found it on garden table. Screwed top back on and tightened bracket. Apparently it's not been working for a few days but she'd forgotten to say

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16737 on: 01 April, 2022, 10:33:51 am »
Bell. Yes. Mine's mounted on a T-piece below the stem, and last ride it was rung by a cable with every bump.  Zip ties were pulled too tightly to rotate it away.

---o0o---

Put Schwalbefied back wheel back on bike.  Everything went well but I noticed that clearance between tyre & brake bridge is now <= 1 mm; gulp. It would appear that Schwalbe Duranos are fat: a 700x25 is almost as big as a Conti GP 700x28.

Also put newly-waxed chain back on.  Would have been too trivial to mention but half an hour's faffing with heat-gun, paper towels & circlip-spreader wouldn't get the "quick"-link back in.  Found a new KMC link in the spares and it went in like a dream.  Afterwards I dripped some hot wax on it and gave it a blast of hot air: with a bit of luck it might penetrate.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16738 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:52:17 am »
Got the MX-5 out of the garage after its five-month sleep, took it for new tyres and then fitted a new battery.  Took it for a spin and reminded myself why I keep it.  Soon there will be no new cars with manual gearboxes, and no new cars where the engine sounds just right if you use the gears properly.  Planet killer?  Not really, at 3 tankfuls a year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16739 on: 01 April, 2022, 01:35:36 pm »

My ultrasonic cleaner appears to be b0rked.  So that's going on next week's fettle list...

« Reply #16740 on: 01 April, 2022, 02:59:56 pm »
The pressure gauge on my Rennkompressor pump had gone very sticky - initially I thought it had failed completely, but it rose very slowly, then took ages to drop back. Pulling it apart, there was gunk of some sort bunging up the hole into the pressure chamber bit. Carefully cleaned it out, and the gauge works properly again.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16741 on: 01 April, 2022, 07:32:38 pm »
Dug a big hole. Went to the DIY shedde for Postcrete and a club hammer. Creted the post. Woo, I can has washing line soon (once I've fettled the wall anchor).
2022-03-20_06-04-26 by The Pingus, on Flickr

After all that, while I was digging about for roots to destroy on the other side of the garden I came across a lump of concrete with the sawn off remains of a metal pole in it.  ::-)
Had a bit of a go at trying to dig it up but it's fecking huge  :facepalm:
Anyone got any explosives?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16742 on: 01 April, 2022, 07:50:46 pm »
Had a bit of a go at trying to dig it up but it's fecking huge  :facepalm:

Back when I was small my dad dug one of those up.  It was boulder of concrete the best part of a metre in diameter, and after various failures to apply leverage and harsh language, was eventually brought to surface level by excavating an inclined plane to roll it up.  My brother and I were too small to be of much assistance, so stood at a safe distance and hummed the Indiana Jones theme.

After an abortive attempt to load it into the wheelbarrow (which promptly collapsed) the prospect of getting it through the garage and into a skip was too much.  Since my dad lacked access to either explosives or a pneumatic drill, it was cunningly rolled to the triangular space behind the summerhouse which was otherwise used to cultivate compost and enormous weeds, and abandoned.  It's probably still there.

Stick a bird bath or a sundial or something on it is my advice.  Your back will thank you.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16743 on: 01 April, 2022, 07:56:26 pm »
You're probably right. I couldn't even get it to move, let alone trying to get it out of the hole. And I still have a several trips to the car's worth of paving to get rid of as well.
Seems to be another tick in the 'build a raised bed instead' column.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16744 on: 01 April, 2022, 08:40:36 pm »
Last time i had soemthing like that I took turns on a heavy hammer and pick axe with my dad, daughter looking on from afar.  It took a while.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16745 on: 01 April, 2022, 08:43:35 pm »

Pity you didn't ask me that a few years ago...
I didn't keep any 'junk' explosives (of which there was quite a lot) after leaving that job!

« Reply #16746 on: 01 April, 2022, 09:10:00 pm »
You're probably right. I couldn't even get it to move, let alone trying to get it out of the hole. And I still have a several trips to the car's worth of paving to get rid of as well.
Seems to be another tick in the 'build a raised bed instead' column.

Hire an SDS breaker.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16747 on: 01 April, 2022, 09:14:27 pm »
My brother said he bought his SDS drill to use as a demolition drill but he couldn't stand the vibration.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16748 on: 02 April, 2022, 12:43:35 pm »
Drilled a hole in the wall and fitted an eye shield bolt anchor, and strung up some washing line.
Then Pingu & I fettled my gears and my VDO pooter decided to disintegrate.
While I was washing my bike's undercarriage I found a much better quality pack of washing line I must have bought a several of years ago. Oh well, it's there for when the thin one either snaps or gets on my wick sufficiently for me to be arsed changing it.

robgul

« Reply #16749 on: 02 April, 2022, 02:50:28 pm »
Rearranged the bike storage to make a bit more space - 3 bikes hang from the front or rear wheels top & tail - by lowering the middle hook I can move the hooks closer together (25cm c-c) so that the middle bike's bars are lower than the two saddles on the bikes either side.  Why didn't I think of that when I installed the hooks to start with?    Downside is that there's still just not quite enough width to get the 4th bike on a hook without encroaching on access from the doorway - but it is an improvement.