Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178770 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #3250 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »
Not nearly enough  ::-)

« Reply #3251 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:32:09 pm »
I fitted cleats to my new Shimano SPD sandals, and used my new glue gun to put hot melt glue in the allen screw heads of these and my Sidi boots. This should hopefully render these cleats removable when they wear out.

I also washed both my best bikes, the Fuji was in a truly disgusting state as I shamefully hadn't yet cleaned it after the very wet Wye Wednesday 200k Audax in Feb. The Sabbath had it's first ever proper clean and is gleaming like a new bike again now.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3252 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »
My CV.

See threads passim.

'nuff said.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3253 on: 17 March, 2011, 11:10:42 am »
(last night)

Refitted the rear wheel to the Pino (see just up there ^ about getting the hub to work).

Test ride. Bad noises. Look at chain, which appears to be encrusted in teh GUNGE and CRUD of centuries. Get jiggy with white spirit inna soup carton. Chain is now semi clean and does useful things like go round chainwheels instead of continuing in a tangential trajectory.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3254 on: 17 March, 2011, 11:16:08 am »
Lights for a verdigris coloured bike for Southend.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #3255 on: 17 March, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »
I've just fitted the tabs for my Karrimor panniers onto the Rohloff bike for tomorrow's and Saturday's trip Clitheroe-> Kettlewell, Kettlewell-> Horton in Ribblesdale.
I'm still going to try to pack everything into a rack bag but I suspect that I shan't succeed.

« Reply #3256 on: 17 March, 2011, 02:51:43 pm »
Lights for a verdigris coloured bike for Southend.

Set phazers to 'stun' AAA's for my rear lights for the above ride put on charge.

EDIT - Oh, and I've hoovered the bike.

Some of you will be puzzled by the last sentence. And some of you will know it to be true.

« Reply #3257 on: 17 March, 2011, 05:00:58 pm »
My midnight fettling involving fitting my new Kool Stop salmon brake pads was a success, and my brakes were very excellent on today's ride  ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3258 on: 17 March, 2011, 05:43:56 pm »
Fettling my Dawes Horizon back together after getting it's headset replaced at lbs.

Fettling the front chainrings nice and clean...
Fettled two of the chainset outer-to-middle chainring nuts and bolts into 3 pieces rather than two.  *tink* as the head sheared off the captive nut.....
Managed to get a set of 5 M-Part chainring bolts from another LBS, but as luck would have it on fitting them they are about 3mm to long....  Out with the hacksaw I think tomorrow!

Also removed the rather rust looking cassette from my Dawes Horizon rear wheel  :-[, luckily I was able to get an 11-32 sram cassette! Heres hoping that'll fit to the shimano hubbed rear wheel.....

Looks like it'll be the middle of next week by the time I get the Dawes back together!   >:(

« Reply #3259 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:43:09 pm »
My midnight fettling involving fitting my new Kool Stop salmon brake pads was a success, and my brakes were very excellent on today's ride  ;D

Now give the braking surface a wipe with Fairy Liquid (thank you, mrcharly) and see how much more effective (but screechy  :() they are.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3260 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:47:54 pm »
Removed the rear mudguard and packed the bike into it's Pro-race travelling bag ready to take home.

Don't know why I bothered bringing it this week, I haven't used it at all....

Oh well maybe next week :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3261 on: 17 March, 2011, 07:29:39 pm »
Fitted one of these

Wiggle | Cateye Rear Carrier Mounting Light Spares

to the rear rack of the Longstaff & the tandem.

Now I can use one of these

Cateye  - Tl-ld1100 - Tl-ld1100

on either the Longstaff,the tandem or the swb recumbent

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3262 on: 18 March, 2011, 08:22:46 am »

Also removed the rather rust looking cassette from my Dawes Horizon rear wheel  :-[, luckily I was able to get an 11-32 sram cassette! Heres hoping that'll fit to the shimano hubbed rear wheel.....

Yes, they do.  Leastways I've got one on one one of my bikes. And I've got a Shimano cassette on a Sram hub on another.

Final tandem fettling last night - adjusted the brakes (must fit some new pads soon), freed up the kick stand.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3263 on: 18 March, 2011, 02:51:29 pm »
New hacksaw blade makes short work of trimming an 8mm chainring bolt down to 5mm!   ;D
Now got the cranks & chainrings on, tektro cr520s refitted front and read, new brake cables and nicely lubed outers.
Still to do: new bar tape, service rear hub + clean up cassette block, fit new gear cables, fettle gears and brakes, check headset for tighness, clean up and refit mudguards + rear rack, check all bolts for tightness, re-fettle gears and brakes, fit Bontrager Race Light Hardcase 700x32C tyre to rear wheel, then I should finally have a working touring  bike!

« Reply #3264 on: 18 March, 2011, 06:00:03 pm »
I just refettled my position on Red, which bizarrely I thought was too low, but using a ruler on the Kaffenback, I realised that I had raised it about 2cm too high, and too far forward.  Admittedly, because of Red's somewhat racier frame, I can't move the seat too far back without making the reach a bit too far, so the saddle position is a bit of a compromise.

If I do bugger up my knee again on tonight's FNRttC, it won't happen until later in the ride, and I won't be TECing by that point, so it won't matter if I have to slowly drop backwards a bit.

I've also fitted the Dinotte rear to Red, which is a bolt on solution, so I wouldn't generally use it, since it leave the light permanently(ish) attached to the bike, and is prone to theft.  I've also had to use the extension cable to get to the battery in the top bag, so I can't run both the front and back Dinottes together (which I'm unlikely to need unless I have a double double failure).

Now I just need to load up the GPX and pack the bag with a careful selection of small light tools, spares and munchies. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3265 on: 20 March, 2011, 10:54:18 pm »
On my fixed, a new Sugino 103mm bottom bracket and a Brick Lanes Bikes track crankset to which I attached a 50T Miche Advanced Track Chainwheel which I happened to have lying around.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Chris S

« Reply #3266 on: 20 March, 2011, 11:45:01 pm »
Not today, but yesterday I finally had half an hour to sort out the Pomp. Not a moment too soon... oh the shame...  :facepalm:

No - I hadn't been using it off-road; it really was that grimy from on-road riding.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3267 on: 21 March, 2011, 12:49:59 am »
Some Veroboard.  Two of the tracks just de-laminated to spite me.  I think that's a subtle hint that I should give up and go to bed.  >:(

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3268 on: 21 March, 2011, 02:20:08 pm »
Just raised the seatpost on the Orbea 5mm as it now has a different non- Brooks saddle.  Brooks saddles are "taller" than most other saddles so the new saddle a Specialized Atavar is too low.

orbea by vorsprung2009, on Flickr

Also put old Continental 4 Seasons 28mm tyres on the bike at the weekend to replace the dead Pro Race 3.  I went through the stock of old "worn- but still some use" tyres in the garage and picked the best two 4 Seasons.  28mm 4 Seasons are about 26.5mm really so fit on a racing bike.  They are a nice ride, pity they are so puncture-ish.  Reckon they should be ok for a month or two of commuting though.

Si_Co

« Reply #3269 on: 22 March, 2011, 03:02:16 pm »
At the weekend fitted new gear cable to the Trek, all ok Sat and Sunday, out last night for a quick loop and the damn derailleur's skipping everywhere, stop invert bike cycle through gears ok, get back on and skipping again - cue major tantrum, phone the Mrs to come and get me, continue fettle tantrum at home, think i may have bent the ruddy mech hanger.

So it's an early finish tomorrow to drop it off at the LBS cause if it don't work next time I want a ride in the sunshine it's going to be introduced to Messrs Grinder and Lump Hammer.

/rant over

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3270 on: 22 March, 2011, 03:19:22 pm »
patience is a virtue my son :demon:

Si_Co

« Reply #3271 on: 22 March, 2011, 03:22:37 pm »
Tis not a quality I'm renowned for, bike was >< close to going over the fence into Weeton barracks last night

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3272 on: 22 March, 2011, 03:24:00 pm »
patience is a virtue my son :demon:

I knew Patience.  I don't remember her wasting much time being virtuous :demon:
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3273 on: 22 March, 2011, 05:34:35 pm »
Nearly finished tarting up the old Dawes I got as a freebie from Valiant. Just got the bar tape to do and I really ought to have a bash at straightening the back wheel. I took it out for a short spin. It's a while since I rode anything like this - very twitchy and a tad scary compared to my usual steed. I'll post some pics when I get round to it.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3274 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:07:53 am »
And here are the pics.
Before:

After:

All bearings dismantled, cleaned, regreased. Coat of Hammerite on frame. New saddle, seatpost, bar tape and cables. Total cost about £40. I'll probably stick new tyres and tubes on it at some point but the old ones seem to holding the air, which, considering Sam said it had been sat there for 11 years, is pretty amazing. The old pedals will probably have to go too.
There's no vibrations, but wait.