Author Topic: Carling C2  (Read 6724 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Carling C2
« Reply #25 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:52:34 pm »
I'm intrigued that this selection includes a couple of alcohol-free real ales (a wheat beer and a stout).

:D

What I like about alcohol-free beers (such as those picture on your link) is how few of them are actually alcohol-free...

Surely that must be misleading advertising?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #26 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:54:55 pm »
Not really.

0.05% is the limit for Alcohol Free as many natural drinks that contain bacteria and sugars (such as fresh orange juice) will end up containing some alcohol due to fermentation.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #27 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »
Another vote for Cobra 0 here :)

Widgets serve Boddingtons well :)

I know some of the guys that worked on the original widgets. They were for Guinness and were developed at Derwent Plastics (now part of some bigger company) at Stamford Bridge near York. My grandfather worked there for many years. They had ace fun developing widgets as you can imagine as at first they would either not fizz the drink up at all or provide entirely too much fizz with predictable results.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

« Reply #28 on: 12 May, 2008, 02:04:35 pm »
Not really.

0.05% is the limit for Alcohol Free as many natural drinks that contain bacteria and sugars (such as fresh orange juice) will end up containing some alcohol due to fermentation.

I agree that 0.05% is as near as damn if alcohol free, but quite a few 0.5% beers are sold as "alcohol free".

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 12 May, 2008, 02:16:18 pm »
Sainsbury's used to, and still maybe do, sell 0.05% lager in the supervised-at-all-times, closed out-of-hours booze section and 0.5% shandy in the free-for-all soft drinks section.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #30 on: 12 May, 2008, 02:24:36 pm »
The "alcohol-free" definition is buried within Schedule 8 of The Food Labelling Regulations 1996.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961499_en_14.htm

Regulator

« Reply #31 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:09:12 pm »
The relevant bit of the regulations is: "the drink has an alcoholic strength by volume of not more than 0.05 per cent" - yet a number of those advertised on the alcohol-free website referred to by Liz had an alcohol of 0.5%, which is 10 times the legal limit.  Therefore, they should not be advertised or sold as 'alcohol free' beer.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #32 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:31:57 pm »
Well yes, that's why I linked to that page.

They do have something on the website here:-

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/article_info.php?articles_id=5

"
The terms used to describe drinks in which the alcohol has been extracted are controlled by government regulations.

In the UK these types of drinks are split into the following categories:

Alcohol-free: Contains 0.05% alcohol or less
De-alcoholised: Contains 0.5% alcohol or less
Low-alcohol: contains more than 0.5% but no more than 1.2%

And, of course, we have non-alcoholic drinks, ie drinks that contain no alcohol at all (0%).

In most of Europe the situation is less complicated. Drinks containing up to 0.5 per cent alcohol are classed simply as alcohol-free and they do not use the ugly word de-alcoholised.

Some of our drinks contain up to 0.5% of alcohol by volume. To put this into context, a normal glass of fresh orange juice can naturally contain up to 0.5% alcohol. Malt vinegar you put on your chips is about 0.2% alcohol.

Each product page clearly states how much (if any) alcohol is present in the product.

We sell only drinks containing up to 0.5% alcohol, we do not sell any products that fall into the 'low-alcohol' group containing up to 1.2% alcohol.
"

They have a contact email address, as well as postal address, on the website if you want to get out your green pen.

« Reply #33 on: 12 May, 2008, 07:13:53 pm »
I'm amazed. I always assumed malt vinegar was quite alcoholic. I thought it would be 10% or thereabouts.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.