General Category > On The Road

Commuting through Chelsea

(1/4) > >>

Hummers:
An infrequent cycling commuter am I.

Now. You have to understand that commuting in the sleepy backwater of Pompey is generally a gentile affair.

However, I tried to commute from North Acton to Clapham Junction this week and found it a very interesting if almost life changing experience.

I've commuted in London before and have had near scrapes with people turning left in front of me etc. but this was another level completely.

After nearly being squished between two high sided vehicles, twice, plus being forced off the road at a pinch point by a cab I realised that if I was to survive, I had to change tactic and toughen up.

You just can't pootle absent mindedly though can you? It's almost like you have to develop an instinctive and aggressive style of riding that is alien to how I normally ride.

How others cycle like this daily, with the chances of being 'offed' stacked against you, is beyond me and all I can say is 'chapeau' to you all.

H

border-rider:
Good post Mr H

When I used to commute every day into London I used to ride that way - now if I try I'm a country bumpkin in the Big City

I tut and shake my head at the RLJers, I let taxis out, I obey the rules of the road.  If I did it every day I'd be dead :)

rogerzilla:
I find London to be OK, if a bit heavy on the brakes due to the stop-start traffic.  I suppose if you're a l33t messenger you just weave round it all.  The drivers seem semi-competent, unlike round here where I'm sure half of them have never passed a test.

Notsototalnewbie:
I noticed that I adopt a completely different, very defensive style for my commute (which is very central). I suspect everyone (avoided several accidents because I ride along expecting people to left hook me etc) and generally get up as much speed as possible where it helps ie going round Vauxhall Cross.

I can keep it up for the half hour it takes me to commute, but much longer might be a bit of an effort!

Tourist Tony:
Yup. Concentration is of limited duration for me too. But I do love some bits; oddly, Victoria Embankment. Brain out sprinting...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version