Author Topic: GPS problem -I think  (Read 1694 times)

GPS problem -I think
« on: 24 January, 2022, 08:26:24 pm »
I am learning about digital mapping and GPS. I am using the OS maps app, I haven’t paid for any maps yet. I went for a local walk to test things. Opened the app and pressed Record a route, no problem. So as I walk down the street and leave town I can see the app location arrow is recording my walk. When I leave town and follow the footpaths through the fields I have another look at the phone and the location arrow is pointing about 2 miles away from where I am standing . The arrow then just moved around the screen to random locations and didn’t follow me even when I re-entered town. I know that the phone, a Huawei P8 Lite, is basic and 4 yrs old but still expect it to be up to the job. The location settings are on GPS, mobile data or WI-FI. I have spoken to a couple of people, who know a lot more about Digital routing but they are stumped. Any suggestions, please?

Re: GPS problem -I think
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2022, 08:45:49 pm »
I have seen older GPS receivers fail, and become inaccurate. However, it is usually a lot longer than 4 years before they start to get inaccurate.

I would suggest turning off WiFi and mobile data and seeing how well or otherwise the phone can work out its position.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2022, 08:50:04 pm »
Sounds like it's switching to cellular-based location while it's in standby, or something.

« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:29:45 am »
I had a phone that did this. The suspected culprit (though never reliably fixed) was the GPS aerial connections - which were springy contacts from the circuit board to the case, that lacked sufficient spring to remain reliably in contact. Especially when not holding the phone and bouncing it by running. Similar effects could be caused like Kim says, or GPS not on, or put in a bag that blocks too much signal somehow, eg surrounded by you, water bottle, tinfoil hat...

Is it actually getting a GPS location to start with, or just better accuracy from multiple mobile base stations in town?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2022, 12:55:54 pm »
Do you have the Google Maps app on the same phone? If so have a look at "Your Timeline" and if that shows the route correctly then it suggests it's an issue with the OS Maps app instead.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2022, 01:31:41 pm »
You could try a GPS test app. That will show you how many satellites its able to see, and signal strength, and estimated accuracy. Will let you check whether the GPS is working anyway. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.gpstest

Also Huawei phones can be a bit too keen on power saving, and killing any apps running in the background. Disabling any battery optimization for that app may help. https://dontkillmyapp.com/huawei

Also check the location permissions for the app. It should be set to allow all the time.

« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2022, 07:53:04 pm »
Today I went for a bike ride and do another test of the phone GPS. I used the OS maps app again but before leaving I changed the phone location settings to GPS only. After 4 or 5mls, out in the countryside I stopped to check the phone and all looked good. The location arrow was following me ok. So put the phone back in the rack pack and carried on. On arriving home I checked the recording and no good. Soon after the first stop the location arrow was shooting around the local countryside not where I was riding. So, like the last time the GPS seems to give up after about 30 mins. Is this a known problem? I doubt it. I have now installed the GPS test app and in my home the phone is seeing 17 satellites and using 7 of them. I’ll check the app next time the location arrow starts to wander.

I have also tried the battery optimization change from ^^^^. Thankyou.

« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:31:43 pm »
Looks like disabling the battery optimization has done the trick, thanks lissotrition. Went for a walk today and the OS maps app recorded most of my route. I say most because the location arrow did shoot off at one point, a couple of miles but when I activated the screen the location arrow moved to my location, which it wasn’t doing before. Is this something that happens sometimes mid-walk? I am a lot more confident at using the phone following a route now, may even subscribe to OS maps.