General Category > On The Road

New Road Marking

<< < (2/4) > >>

GruB:
They are just glued into the old holes  ;D

pdm:

--- Quote from: TimO on 30 March, 2008, 09:14:41 pm ---Are they just glued on the surface?  I suspect the old catseyes have fallen out of favour, since they need a hole in the road, which probably makes them relatively expensive to install.  A lot of the newer reflectors are just glued on the surface, which isn't as resilient to the abuse of being driven over, but is probably a lot cheaper.

--- End quote ---
These are recessed into the road like the old Cateyes. Here is a description.

TimO:
Interesting, although their description of why some types of reflector don't work is a bit vague.

I imagine the advantage over a catseye is that it has no moving parts to fail, or rubber to perish or age.  At a guess driving over them will keep the worst of the dirt off, and rain will also tend to wash them clear.

On the flip side, the pictures on their web page show how much it protrudes, and that would be a menace to cycle over.  The mention of "Especially suited to roundabouts" is particularly worrying, the thought of having to dodge them whilst trying to circumnavigate a roundabout isn't too pleasant.

GruB:
I did see that a couple were chipped as well so that may cause sharp edges that would cut a bike tyre.

sas:

--- Quote from: nuttycyclist on 30 March, 2008, 02:41:41 pm ---What's wrong with the old fashioned reliable glass cats eye as was invented back in the war?   They light up perfectly (if you've got your lights on), deform to provide a flat surface to ride over, wipe the glass eye clean as they come back up! (How many people knew about the wiper?)

--- End quote ---

If you poke a stick down the edge you can lever them out. Err, according to a friend that is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version