General Category > On The Road

The "have you been knocked off" poll

<< < (3/48) > >>

rogerzilla:

--- Quote from: andygates on 24 April, 2010, 09:11:04 pm ---Miles?  I don't think in miles.  2001, Bristol, taxi driver on a roundabout, his fault.  Here: OpenStreetMap

Weather bright and overcast.  Me in Army surplus tat, no spangly special kit of any sort, onna lilac Kirk.  Him with a pair of arguing passengers going at it like only a married African couple can, didn't look.  I know he didn't look because I saw him look as I screamed like a girl.  

Road's not one cyclists use much because it's heavily-trafficked and multi-lane.  It was a quiet day (Sunday morning? It felt like one. Something like that anyway).  He just assumed and made an ass out of my back wheel and the illusion that I'd yell like a proper mountain man when emperiled.

--- End quote ---
I know that junction.  It's the way to Argos Cycles  :)

Zoidburg:
Twas a cold dark night in december 2004 IIRC.

A lady pulled out quickly from parked on me, no lights, no indication, no looky.

Not a single thing I could do to avoid it.

Anyone who indulges in picking apart people's technique in this thread shall be cast out BTW - just thought I would mention that before anyone gets all breathless and excited about a chance to show off how well they have memorised some cycling pamphlet or other.

Just think of this thread as an AA meeting and not an intervention.

;)

rogerzilla:
You're not thinking of Cyclecraft, are you?  Some of the stuff in there might get you beaten up around here for impeding the progress of a Saxoful of knuckle-draggers.

citoyen:

--- Quote from: andygates on 24 April, 2010, 09:11:04 pm ---Miles?  I don't think in miles.  2001, Bristol, taxi driver on a roundabout, his fault.  Here: OpenStreetMap
--- End quote ---

For the purposes of this poll, the mileage is more important than the blame - the point is to get an idea of the level of risk of a collision, ie how far would you have to ride a bike before you were statistically likely to get knocked off.

A simple count of how many collisions there have been would just be Daily Mail-esque scaremongering designed to make cycling look dangerous. By giving the context of how many miles were covered to reach that collision count, suddenly the figures don't look so scary. Or at least they shouldn't...

Me? I've never been in a collision with a motor vehicle, unless you count the time I punched the side of a taxi to register my frustration at the inconsiderate way it was being driven.

Plenty of near misses, though.

Not sure of my lifetime mileage to date - probably around 30,000 miles.

d.

Auntie Helen:
16,000ish miles in the last two years and with no serious incidents, let alone being knocked off. Recumbent trikes rule!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version