General Category > On The Road

First time someone's tried to knock me off my bike

(1/6) > >>

aglet:
I thought I'd type this in while I was still fresh.  This all happened around 08:35 this morning, 4 April 2008.

The towpath under Mare St bridge on the Regent's Canal is closed for refurbishment, so I decided to use the roads instead; Andrew's Road, Regent's Row, Denne Terrace, Dunston Road, and then South on Kingsland Rd.  map

I was doing somewhere around 20-25 mph, and since there are triple humps along that Andrew's road was well out in primary, to avoid the humps while keeping out of the gutter.  There were cars coming the other way, they were keeping to their side.  This fellow came up along behind me and gave me a couple of toots.  Rather than let him past (remember, I was doing more than 20mph on a road with speed bumps on it!), I stuck to my line.  In retrospect, that was rather a bad idea, because he shot past amazingly close, came back left sharply, brushed my front wheel with his rear wing and pulled in front.  Where he proceeded to brake, and swerve violently from side to side as we pulled up to the Kingsland Road Goldsmith's Row/Broadway Market.  He banged my wheel again; I'm amazed I didn't fall off.

I jotted down his number plate a minute or two later, but didn't get the make & model.  A dark blue hatchback, driven by a fattish grey-haired balding man, mid-fifties I'd say, registration no. R430 VLB.  He went South too, but I didn't catch up with him.

I don't think anyone's actually actively tried to kill me before.  I think a cup of tea is in order.

disclaimer: I'm going to double-check the road names later.  edited 7/4/08 Just as well I checked; in fact the incident happened here,  on Andrew's Road coming up to the crossroads by Broadway Market.  The car went  left over the bridge, along Goldsmith's Row.

Charlotte:
Damn  >:(

Glad you didn't come off.

Have you called the police yet?

bobmick:
That arse needs a talking to!  Any witnesses?  Police might take it seriously if there were.

Glad you are OK

IanDG:
Glad you're Ok, scary experience, long time since something like that's happened to me, IME the police wont take any action if you're not hurt and there are no witnesses. Report it anyway tho' so it's logged and filed

andygates:
Bloody hell  >:(  Call the cops while it's still fresh in your mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version