General Category > On The Road

Another sad day

(1/3) > >>

slowfen:

lorry driver banned for 12 months

Seineseeker:
Just how can he only get a 12 month driving ban? If I was swinging an axe around in the street and accidentally chopped someone's head off, would I get a community service order? No I don't think so.

Julian:
[presses repeat button]

Because the law only provides for what he was doing (driving without due care) not for the consequences.  They can't even do him for dangerous driving, because the mobile was hands-free. :(

Sergeant Pluck:
Was there any evidence that being on the hands-free had any bearing on the accident?

David Martin:

--- Quote from: Liz on 07 April, 2008, 03:39:44 pm ---[presses repeat button]

Because the law only provides for what he was doing (driving without due care) not for the consequences.  They can't even do him for dangerous driving, because the mobile was hands-free. :(

--- End quote ---

Could you clarify this a bit? Just being on a mobile (non-handsfree) is sufficient in law to be dangerous driving. You can be done for dangerous driving without being on a mobile.

Ergo you can be done for dangerous driving whilst being on a handsfree mobile but the prosecution has to work much harder (ie to show that the standard of driving was well below that of a careful and courteous driver).

So he could have been done for DD if they could build a strong enough case...

..d

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version