Author Topic: ROUTE ADVICE: route 1 whitley bay to berwick upon tweed  (Read 1242 times)

ROUTE ADVICE: route 1 whitley bay to berwick upon tweed
« on: 23 October, 2019, 08:59:49 pm »
could anyone tell me if the whole route is suitable for an overnight loaded road bike with 28mm tyres, if not are there any quiet road alternatives ?
many thanks for any assistance .
"If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor."  T. Booth.

Re: ROUTE ADVICE: route 1 whitley bay to berwick upon tweed
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2019, 10:01:11 pm »
The very last section from Sea House (not Seahouses) to Berwick is a bridleway across a field.
It will be quite wet and muddy at this time of year , unless Sustrans have upgraded it recently.
You can tell before you set off across the field what it looks like, as it is the first bit that is worst IIRC.
There is an option to go  up the hill and through  Scremerston to join the old A1 and then its downhill all the way to B-O-T.

Most of the other off-road bits have gravel or crushed stone surfaces. Mrs. M was on 25 mm tyres with rear panniers when we did it a couple of years ago.

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2019, 10:31:55 pm »
many thanks  :thumbsup:
"If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor."  T. Booth.

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2019, 08:19:56 am »
It’s been a few years, but madcow’s comments match my recollection. There’s a fair bit of track away from the road (Druridge Bay springs to mind) so take lights to suit - and I hope it’s a good ride :)

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2019, 05:17:07 pm »
Pauline and me did it in June of last year on tourers with 32mm tyres. At the time the ground was very dry and although some off road sections we very bumpy it was all okay to ride. If I were doing it again in wetter conditions I would try to avoid some of the off road parts especially the none gravelled ones.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home