Author Topic: Budget SPD Commuting Shoe Recommendations  (Read 5185 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Budget SPD Commuting Shoe Recommendations
« on: 19 November, 2008, 12:11:19 pm »
Please!

The outgoing shoes are Shimano RT30
clicky

After eighteen months use they are a bit knackered. I use them for nearly all my cycling. I'd appreciate recommendations for a replacement set.

I'm tempted to go for the same again, but I did experience some discomfort with them, usually for a short time 4/5 miles into the ride. I think it was my feet getting used to feeling the ribs in the upper part of the plastic sole.

Thanks
aBIC

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Budget SPD Commuting Shoe Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:16:26 pm »
I'd recommend having a look at Specialized - not too bad pricewise, and v comfortable.  I have a pair of Sonomas, but the Taho look like good value too.

Actually, my other two pairs of bike shoes are very budget - Lidl & Aldi.  But good, nonetheless.
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:17:19 pm »
I'd probably plump for some dhb's

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_M1_Cycling_Shoes/5360033176/

Except that I wouldn't wear non-Specialized shoes, because they hurt my knees.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:25:25 pm »
Those dhbs look pretty good, but I tend to trust Spesh BG products for my bike-body contacts (bar tape; gloves; shoes; saddle)
Getting there...

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:26:52 pm »
I found my original shoes for <£32 posted, here.

I've emailed the proprietor though as the website is slightly insecure. Payment can be made via paypal, so at least payment details are safe, but not entirely happy at transmitting my personal details including a password they have requested via an unencrypted connection.

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:27:18 pm »
The Shimano RT51 is a well made and comfortable shoe.

£47.99 at CRC or can be had new for under £40 in selected sizes on eBay.

« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:37:11 pm »
A guy here has Tahos, I was very impressed with them.

Personally, I've always regretted not buying Shimano. All Shimano shoes I've had have lasted years and years; other brands are knackered after a year (Diadora, Scott).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:39:25 pm »
Another happy RT51 wearer here - they replaced a similar pair that had seen be through about three years of daily commutes, overnight rides and more, and the "new" ones still feel new after about a year.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:45:18 pm »
Shoe recommendation can only be made by people with the same size and shape of foot as you. So everything said by us is absolute rubbish.  So if you have the same size and shape foot as me (natural perfection  ;) ) then Lake MX85 shoes in 40.5 are very good.

The only way you can find a nice shoe is go to a shop with a large choice including half sizes and try them on.  Once you have found it you can mail order it for ever more.

To repeat the obvious other people recomendations are useless, only people with un-deformed feet identical to mine can possibly have any worthwhile opinion whatsoever.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2008, 05:05:54 pm »
Another vote for Lidl here, shame they only come around as frequently as Haley's Comet.

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2008, 05:16:01 pm »
I bought some Shimano MO20s in 2002 for £20.  The only difference in them now is that they are dirtier.  They seem bomb proof, they are very comfy but they don't look very 'flashy'.

I'm also pleased with the build-quality of my Shimano Winter boots.

I wouldn't personally bother with Aldi/Lidl shoes when I can find Shimano shoes for <£30

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2008, 05:23:51 pm »
Shoe recommendation can only be made by people with the same size and shape of foot as you. So everything said by us is absolute rubbish.  So if you have the same size and shape foot as me (natural perfection  ;) ) then Lake MX85 shoes in 40.5 are very good.

The only way you can find a nice shoe is go to a shop with a large choice including half sizes and try them on.  Once you have found it you can mail order it for ever more.

To repeat the obvious other people recomendations are useless, only people with un-deformed feet identical to mine can possibly have any worthwhile opinion whatsoever.

+1

FWIW, I'm another fan of Spesh BG shoes, but YMMV.

Decathlon might be worth a trip, as you're in Manchester.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2008, 05:32:03 pm »
+1 for Lidl.

They got me round an SR series and a daily 14 mile commute for a year. Bargain.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #13 on: 26 December, 2008, 11:46:20 pm »
The original deal I found on these fell through due to unsatisfactory experience with the retailer.

I'm wondering about buying Spesh BG shoes, bt what do they wear like? My Shimano shoes were like a second skin and after 18 months, they have just gone past the stage where I can glue them back together.

I've been given some Christmas money (and birthday money) with which to replace them.

Is it worth spending a bit more on shoes? Or would the extra money best be put towards something else?

I'm still thinking budget shoes and put the rest of the money toward something else or save it for another rainy day.

« Reply #14 on: 27 December, 2008, 02:26:41 pm »
Another happy Taho wearer, although I prefer my Shimano sandals.  Barefoot in the warm, thick socks in winter.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #15 on: 28 December, 2008, 08:06:07 pm »
Another happy RT51 wearer here - they replaced a similar pair that had seen be through about three years of daily commutes, overnight rides and more, and the "new" ones still feel new after about a year.

+1 for the RT51.

The sizes are a bit odd though.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #16 on: 28 December, 2008, 08:48:43 pm »
I like my Specialized Taho shoes for my commute.

« Reply #17 on: 28 December, 2008, 09:56:59 pm »
I replaced some Shimano (whatever was bottom of the range 18 months ago) with Adidas Minretts.

Very happy with them indeed and would recommend them to anyone with the same shape feet as me.

ChainReactionCycles would be selling them for £40 if they had any in stock.

« Reply #18 on: 28 December, 2008, 10:08:17 pm »
I like Adidas Minretts but laces aren't a good idea when riding fixed so I prefer the cheapest of the Spesh BG range with 3 velcro straps for commuting.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #19 on: 29 December, 2008, 06:52:12 am »
The laces problem with dangerous danglage can be overcome very easily with lock laces, which are too short to cause a problem.  I have them on my Lidl SPDs and all my trainers/running shoes.

« Reply #20 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:07:55 am »
The most you can hope to get from here is choices on style and purpose.  There's no replacement for going to a shop and trying them on, because everyone's feet are different.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #21 on: 03 March, 2009, 09:14:10 pm »
The most you can hope to get from here is choices on style and purpose.  There's no replacement for going to a shop and trying them on, because everyone's feet are different.

Granted. But it's still possible to obtain information about finish, build quality etc.

I've ended up buying shoes today, almost impulsively. I was getting tendonitis in my feet. When I switched to the northwave road shoes I own but find incredibly impractical, I realised how soft and flexible what was left of the soles on my original shoes had become. And was probably causing the tendonitis as the foot was hardly supported.

Riding with the Northwaves gave me extra power and immediately seem to alleviate the tendon issues, but alas, they were too narrow to be comfortable, I couldn't walk very well in them and putting a foot down when stopping the tandem in the wet was dangerous.

After trying various shoes on, I've bought some Spesh Sport MTB shoes and I'm gob smacked. I've not been on the bike in them yet, other than stationary to test the clipping and unclipping. They fit well, they are comfy and although the sole is very stiff, I can walk in them. In fact they seem like a much better solution than shoes with a "trekking" sole.

« Reply #22 on: 03 March, 2009, 09:20:49 pm »
Interesting!  I wonder if my use of Shimano winter boots with their more flexible soles is adding to my own tendonitis?  I also have some Spesh MTB and Road shoes, both fairly high end and thus with very stiff soles, and now I think of it, when wearing those I've not had as much tendon aggravation.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #23 on: 03 March, 2009, 09:38:07 pm »
Mikey,

I'll let you know how I get on over the next week or so.

Cheers
Daniel

« Reply #24 on: 12 March, 2009, 12:21:06 pm »
i bought some shimano SH MT20s and they have lasted me neally a year and a half. i use them for all my commuting and training. every day. £30 or £40 from evans.