Author Topic: Trailer Recommendations Please  (Read 1319 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Trailer Recommendations Please
« on: 23 June, 2008, 03:18:47 pm »
We have been using a child's trailer for fetching shopping, collecting items on freecycle, picking up compost. Basically anything that a good sized estate car would handle. A good weight capacity is a must.

We are not looking at replacing this with a cargo trailer. I'm struggling deciding on budget and the type of trailer to go for.

I'm decided it would have to hitch at the rear hub and be twin wheeled. A flat bad looks most versatile because almost anything could be strapped to it for general use and otherwise a gert big weatherproof box or several weatherproof bags for shopping etc. I quite like that being flat, it would be easy to store. However, a box on wheels type affair might be better for general use and probably narrower so could be wheeled into shops and things.

The childs trailer was a bit of a pig to lock up, as there wasn't really anywhere to run a chain through it without half taking it apart. Just chaining the wheels was a bit insufficient as they could easily be removed.

I would be greatful if ye experienced utilitarian trailer luggers would impart thy knowledge.

errr Thank you.

Re: Trailer Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2008, 05:51:42 pm »
I built a carry freedom flat bed out of some recycled angle angle iron, old shelving and some air conditioning bolts. I use the wheels and hitch from our elderly Burly so total cost was zero.The flat bed is bomb proof if heavy.
Stropping rocks

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2008, 06:45:09 pm »
I've had a Revolution Cargo trailer from the Edinburgh cycle coop for a couple of months now.  Essentially it's a cheap'ish (£125) copy of the Bob Yak ...i.e a single wheeled trailer which hitches onto a replacement rear skewer 

I'm really happy with it .....i've not done any cycle campingwith it yet but have hauled loads of shopping around in it and most importantly taken a whole family bbq down to the beach in it!!  It appears really well made and is very easy to hitch on and off......and it looks really cool cycling around town with it!!!  :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2008, 07:34:46 pm »
I've got a Bob, and whilst it's a fine trailer, I suspect this sort of trailer isn't what you're looking at, since it is somewhat limited in how much mass you can carry.  Too much weight, too high up, and it just doesn't want to play.  It's good for things like camping, or moderate shopping loads, but not for hauling vast amounts around.

Things like the Carry Freedom are better for heavier loads, and they are probably more versatile, since you can use them as a flatbed, or fit a box.  The 7th page of the manual does show how a box can be adapted with some rubber feet to hold quite firmly on the base.  I guess you could loop a cable lock through the wheels and the holes in the base to help lock it up.  Unfortunately a trailer which comes apart for easy storage is directly in contradiction with one that is easy to lock up and consequently doesn't easily break up into lots of pieces.
Actually, it is rocket science.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2008, 07:43:08 pm »
I've had a Revolution Cargo trailer from the Edinburgh cycle coop for a couple of months now. 

Just about to go down to pick up the shopping with mine (Peli do the shopping I bring it back :) ). Did 350miles cycling holiday and a house move with it last year. For bigger and heavier loads get a Carry Freedom, but for most things it is (the cargo) just just the bees knees.  It can easy take 3 slaps of beer if that is what you are asking :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit