Author Topic: Obtaining shims for Tiagra 9 spd STis  (Read 3367 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Obtaining shims for Tiagra 9 spd STis
« on: 10 August, 2008, 09:20:55 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get some shims from to fit Shimano Tiagra 9 sped STis so that I can adjust the reach for smaller hands?

Thanks
Daniel

rr

Re: Obtaining shims for Tiagra 9 spd STis
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »
Get the part numbers from shimano here and search for them and order from Ultimate Pursuits, I have done the first one for you £1.49

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2008, 01:19:25 pm »
Get the part numbers from shimano here and search for them and order from Ultimate Pursuits, I have done the first one for you £1.49
Or if you prefer take that info into your local bike shop, Welcome To Ultimate Pursuits are effectively the shop window for the Shimano UK importer, they are not infact a shop as such and it can get a bit confusing as the item ordered gets sent to your local bike shop for collection, invariably the communication goes wrong, the customer thinks they are being sent the item and the local bike shop will often get something arrive not knowing who it is supposed to be for.

Paul_Smith

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2008, 02:49:28 pm »
Thank you

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2008, 09:17:43 pm »
Petra Cycles stock most Shimano spares, including the parts you're looking for.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:30:42 pm »

Order place.

Thank you. Why all bike shops don't stock these, I don't know. They are vital for making sure bikes are comfy.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2008, 08:55:19 am »

Order place.

Thank you. Why all bike shops don't stock these, I don't know. They are vital for making sure bikes are comfy.
Shimano I believe have slightly reduced the reach of their levers so the demand for these Shims is less that it was, it did seem far more a problem a couple of years ago that it does now that's for sure, mind you I can't find any data to confirm that the lever reach had been reduced slighlty! Shimano are also introducing built in reach adjuster on the 2009 Dura Ace, plus some of the lower groups appear to now come supplied with shims to reduce reach, although expect that to be on aftermarket levers and perhaps not when supplied on a complete bike. The built in reach adjuster of the Dura Ace seems far better, I would expect that as normal the features of the higher groups to filter down to lower groups in due course.

As well as Shimano, Specialized also have some of their own shims, although like the Shimano version were seldom available in the lever option that the customer actually needed when I tried to get some in!

Note that there are some bars on the market that help reduce the reach, popular with ladies specific bikes in particular.

Paul_Smith