Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller "Premium" front lights  (Read 2819 times)

321up

• 59° N
NEW - Busch & Muller "Premium" front lights
« on: 02 January, 2014, 04:51:58 pm »
Busch & Muller has updated a number of it front battery & dynamo light products with "Premium" models.  We've got a IXON IQ Premium (takes 4 AA batteries) and it's impressive.  Compared to my old LUMOTEC IQ Cyo R the IXON IQ Premium on full power (~5hrs run time) appears to be brighter and has a much wider beam.  I'm planning to compare it to my LUMOTEC IQ2 LUXOS U on Saturday and will report back.

Has anyone tried a LUMOTEC IQ Cyo Premium R dynamo front light?  I think it could be a contender to the Luxos for those that don't need USB charging.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: NEW - Busch & Muller "Premium" front lights
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2014, 05:50:16 pm »
Interesting.  Alas, my old IQ/Fly is the only one that doesn't screw up my favourite counter.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »
Busch & Muller has updated a number of it front battery & dynamo light products with "Premium" models.  We've got a IXON IQ Premium (takes 4 AA batteries) and it's impressive.

Presumably it's got the same ludicrous battery compartment (with a dozen fatigue-prone spring contacts and a dodgy catch) as the standard Ixon IQ?

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:26:43 pm »
Busch & Muller has updated a number of it front battery & dynamo light products with "Premium" models.  We've got a IXON IQ Premium (takes 4 AA batteries) and it's impressive.

Presumably it's got the same ludicrous battery compartment (with a dozen fatigue-prone spring contacts and a dodgy catch) as the standard Ixon IQ?

I don't know about the previous variant so can't make a comparison.  The contacts or ours are formed from a reasonably sturdy looking piece of metal (not springs).  We bought ours with rechargable battries and a charger that plugs in under the light that has a rubber plug to seal it.  I doubt that we will open the battery compartment very often.  We bought ours from a european supplier so it has a euro plug.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2014, 02:15:18 pm »
IXON IQ Premium wet weather testing...

Yesterday our IXON IQ Premium was mounted on the handlebars and exposed to more than 6 hours of persistent rain.  It worked reliably, but condensation formed inside the lens.  I looked this morning and found a drip of water between the bottom of the reflector and the lens.  The battery compartment looks dry.  It still works normally.

I discovered that the IXON IQ Premium on high power produces uncomfortable glare from the top of the lens which is detrimental on dark lanes.  When C. tested it on the first ride she said that glare was not a problem, but I disagree.  This made it difficult to compare it with the Luxos U.  A visor is available for the IXON as an optional accessory and I believe will address this problem.  I used the IXON on low power to minimise the glare but in this mode the Luxos U was much brighter.

Aside from the glare problem I think the light brightness and distribution of the IXON IQ Premium on full power is approximately similar to the Luxos U.  I'll try it another time with the visor accessory fitted so I can get a better comparison with the Luxos U.

The Luxos U did not get any condensation and worked reliably (mounted on the fork crown with the switch cable disconnected and rubber plug fitted in the switch connector).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2014, 02:35:17 pm »

I don't know about the previous variant so can't make a comparison.  The contacts or ours are formed from a reasonably sturdy looking piece of metal (not springs).

Yeah, that's the problem.  Bent stainless steel.  Fatigues with use and shears at the bends.  The extra four spring contacts connecting the battery compartment to the PCB add more potential points of failure.

I've not had the catch fail, but others have.

Both problems can be mitigated by charging the batteries in situ, which makes the whole thing extremely convenient, and wherever possible not dropping the light.  (This means keeping an eye on the self-untapping screw in the top of the handlebar bracket, which will fail and jettison the top half, along with the light, after a couple of years of use.  Fortunately the brackets are Smart-compatible, so spares are readily available.  The new fork crown bracket is a simple moulded piece of plastic with a bolt through it, and doesn't have this failure mode.)

Yesterday our IXON IQ Premium was mounted on the handlebars and exposed to more than 6 hours of persistent rain.  It worked reliably, but condensation formed inside the lens.  I looked this morning and found a drip of water between the bottom of the reflector and the lens.  The battery compartment looks dry.  It still works normally.

This seems consistent with the Ixon IQ.  I've had mine through all sorts of appalling weather (including rattling around in a soggy bag), and water ingress only caused a problem once after about 4 hours of constant heavy rain combined with falling temperature, when the switch eventually got wet and caused it to acquire a flashing mode.  A quick squirt of IPA restored it to normal, and a day open on a radiator dried it out.  Lights, phones and GPSes were dropping like flies on that ride.

I discovered that the IXON IQ Premium on high power produces uncomfortable glare from the top of the lens which is detrimental on dark lanes.  When C. tested it on the first ride she said that glare was not a problem, but I disagree.  This made it difficult to compare it with the Luxos U.  A visor is available for the IXON as an optional accessory and I believe will address this problem.  I used the IXON on low power to minimise the glare but in this mode the Luxos U was much brighter.

This seems to be a symptom of handlebar mounting, common to all Ixons.  I found that the fork crown bracket avoided the problem (until I put a Cyo there and had to move the Ixon to the handlebars).  It's a non-issue when mounted on the boom of a recumbent.

« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2014, 02:49:17 pm »
The switch on the Luxos is no longer detachable. It was redesigned after failures. Now has a rubber grommit

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »
Kim would, as usual, appear to be correct. My purchase of two of the IXON IQ Premium was prompted by my Shimano hub dynamo going a bit wobbly. Used on a night ride on  Friday, they worked well. One on Low setting, the other used only for fast descents. Both lasted all night, pretty good. Alas the charger sent from Bike-Discount didn't work so I sent it back, along with two of the anti-glare hoods (the lights come with a hood in the box, but bike-discount don't tell you that.) I've been refunded the €12 for the charger but I wanted a charger not a refund. Not been refunded the €9 for the hoods. This is a pain. I can buy a replacement charger when I'm on the continent this year, but that's not the point.
From a lighting perspective, they're really very good indeed. Very bright light, spread across the road. And I can shift the lights from bike to bike - if I wanted to I could buy some more handlebar clips that would make light swapping dead easy.
And I'm unsure if I was stronger after a winter sitting on the sofa getting fat, but without the dynamo the bike seemed faster. 
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.