Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 10:39:02 am »
Working in the Coal Mine - Lee Dorsey
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: RIP Evernote App?
« Last post by ravenbait on Today at 10:37:03 am »
I've been with Evernote for years, but I find myself side-eying the cost these days. I use it for keeping notes and scraps and research for writing, but I also use it a lot for sharing information with Mr Bait. I have a paid account, he has a free account. The free account really isn't working very well any more.

Any recommendations for something that works in Android and Windows and does a good job for sharing as well as note taking? In an ideal world, it would allow me to record an easily-findable voice note, as sometimes I get ideas and need to record them when I don't have access to paper and pen or even the use of my fingers.

Sam
Happy to help if I can at Brampton. Email sent.
Health & Fitness / Re: Cross Training: Swimming
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 10:33:40 am »
Lovely other ½ bought me some 'smart goggles' for christmas, they project your speed and stroke rate on the inside of the right eye so you can get feedback as you go along - plus other stuff like head angle, heart rate and such.  They work surprisingly well.

Are you still getting on with them three months later?

I went for my first swim for a long time this morning. Going to try to get back into the regular habit. If I do, then I will be able to justify to myself the investment in some kind of tech to measure my distances - because I'm really crap at counting lengths. I mean, I think I did 30 lengths this morning but it could in fact be anywhere between 28 and 34 lengths. And when it's a 50m pool, that adds up to a significant difference. Not that it really matters, I just like having numbers to put on Strava.

Anyway, I'm interested in smart goggles as an option. Or some other fitness tracking device that works in water, if anyone has any recommendations - my Garmin FR620 is not really any good in water, only useful for measuring time not distance.
Audax / Re: e bikes on BPs
« Last post by trundle on Today at 10:33:03 am »
Last FaQ item 34 - you can ride them on BP, but the ride is not validated.

https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/faqs
Audax / e bikes on BPs
« Last post by GdS on Today at 10:24:55 am »
To save me trawling the regs, are they not allowed for the ride to be validated? in this case it's one of my perms
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by freeflow on Today at 10:24:34 am »
Honestly, not necessary for the expense and mythical, hypothetical limited miniscule gain.

Hence the 'could'.  In my personal experience, TPU tubes are good for a 1 -2 kph increase in speed over a 2 hour ride.
Gallery / Re: A bridge I cycled over...
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 10:17:20 am »
Is that a greeting for Southend-on-Sea's baggeriest cyclist?
Health & Fitness / Zoe
« Last post by Frank9755 on Today at 10:17:13 am »
I started doing Zoe (https://zoe.com/) - the programme to do with finding which foods fit your metabolism done by the people who did the covid tracker - in January.  There's the odd post here and there but I didn't see a thread on it so thought I'd start one.

Tl;dr - I'm enjoying it, am feeling well on it and have lost weight - and think it has told me I need to eat less than I thought when cycling.

It's not specifically about weight loss, but the majority of people who do it want to lose weight, so there is a relationship.

One thing that got me interested in it was that I had a pre-diabetic blood test result a couple of years ago. It was a few weeks after I had done the Transcontinental Race, then been on a family holiday with wine every day (not loads but more than I'd normally drink). A retest a few weeks later was back in normal range (I found it amusing to tell the doctor that I had been able to fix things by scaling my exercise right back and putting on a couple of kilos!) but I wanted to understand more about it - specifically whether riding long hours and eating junk from petrol stations OR a week of French food with wine was more more likely to have put me into a bad place from a blood sugar perspective.

Another thing that intrigued me was Christoph Stasser saying after the Transcontinental last year that he had had a much quicker recovery than the previous year, which he credited from having changed his race diet, from all the petrol station junk, to mainly fruit juice, tinned fish and bread.   

Zoe do tests on how well you process fat and sugar, as well as how good your gut bacteria are and how good your diet is.  My results were interesting. My diet, gut bacteria and fat management were good - but the latter is entirely down to medication to reduce cholesterol levels so no credit to my system - it would be very bad otherwise. But my blood sugar management was bad. It turns out that if I look at a potato, rice, pasta, bread, beer or white wine, or similar my blood sugar spikes right up.  During the test period (too short to be a proper test but still indicative), I wavered in and out of the pre-diabetic range.

I did a 5-6 hour ride while I had the blood sugar monitor on and that was probably the most interesting part for me (although not for Zoe as it doesn't take into account anything to do with exercise). It showed that the cereal bars that I normally eat were really spiking my blood sugar, and I could keep it in a normal / performance range by eating significantly less than I normally would. 

I'm planning to explore that more. I was thinking of doing SuperSapiens -  which used the blood sugar monitors to show you what is going on when you are riding and eating on the bike - but won't now as they've gone out of business.  But I think the latest BS monitors can give you the data straight to your phone so will look to try that instead to optimise what I eat on rides. I'd like to avoid eating in a way that over the long term, will propel me towards diabetes.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying Zoe, really enjoying the food: it has pushed me towards a keto diet with more protein and fat and few carbs.  I'm not missing carby stuff and am enjoying not being hungry between meals. I've lost a few kg - not all due to Zoe but a bit more than I would have expected to at this time of year anyway. I can eat some stuff that I always thought was a bit indulgent - I now regularly have a cooked breakfast: kippers or a (vegetarian) fry-up: both score much better than porridge or museli. And dark chocolate scores a lot higher for me than virtually all fruit.

Eating out is tricky, for which I largely have to forget Zoe as hardly any restaurant food works, especially if I have a glass of wine or beer with it!
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by CrazyEnglishTriathlete on Today at 10:15:31 am »
And Surrey win. The Kent no 11 scored 22 off his first 11 balls before going into his shell, but was the not-out batsman. Bad luck Kent - a valiant effort.

It was a reasonable 'rearguard action'.  Hopefully there will be some 'foreguard actions' and a couple of reasonable first innings totals forthcoming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10