Author Topic: Socially distant? Write something for Arrivee  (Read 5319 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Socially distant? Write something for Arrivee
« on: 23 March, 2020, 02:25:54 pm »
We're looking a bit light on copy for the next couple of issues of Arrivee. So, if you're stuck at home when you'd rather be out riding (and aren't we all?), why not write about riding instead?  Submissions don't have to be 5,000-word epics - 400-500 words will fill a page, with a photo.  Let's hear about your favourite events, whether calendar, perm or DIY - memorable moments and maybe even those days on the bike you'd like to forget; the ones on which Type 2 fun nearly became Type 3.

gedlennox@me.com is waiting for your stories and pictures. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Martin

Re: Socially distant? Write something for Arrivee
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2020, 09:11:56 pm »
better still; stop producing Arrivee for now? (at least as a posted paper copy) not exactly essential work for anyone to leave their home for is it?

Save the money to plug part of the hole in AUK's finances, I don't think any members will disagree...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2020, 09:16:29 pm »
better still; stop producing Arrivee for now? (at least as a posted paper copy) not exactly essential work for anyone to leave their home is it?

Save the money to plug some of the whole in AUK's finances, I don't think any members will disagree...
::-)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2020, 09:41:27 am »
better still; stop producing Arrivee for now? (at least as a posted paper copy) not exactly essential work for anyone to leave their home for is it?

Save the money to plug part of the hole in AUK's finances, I don't think any members will disagree...

No one leaves home to produce Arrivee, apart from those who work at the printers that we use. Obviously, there is a good chance that they will stop or reduce working, in which case we will look at other options such as an online version, but at the moment the intention to continue producing it as usual.

I think it would be a mistake not to produce it at all, especially while members are unable to ride events, as it is one of the tangible benefits of membership.

So please get those articles in....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

S2L

« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2020, 05:47:28 pm »
I don't think any members will disagree...

I disagree.... there will be considerable loneliness in the AUK community and the magazine will be most welcome especially during these difficult times. I am sure editing and production can be done in a safe way.

« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2020, 05:52:34 pm »
I've long wanted to opt out of receiving a dead tree version of Arrivee if there was a suitable reliable repository for reading it online[1] but I do understand that some will still want to receive a hard copy so that shouldn't go away completely (yet).

1. Issuu was ok but they stopped appearing on there. Looking at https://issuu.com/audax-uk I see that the penultimate one was uploaded 5 days ago but there's a big gap (issues 135-146 inclusive are not there).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:14:58 pm »

I disagree.... there will be considerable loneliness in the AUK community and the magazine will be most welcome especially during these difficult times. I am sure editing and production can be done in a safe way.

I was only suggesting suspending printing and distribution, no problem at all with an e-version (I used to edit a newsletter and the printing and distribution was a PITA but everyone claimed they needed a paper copy despite all having email)

S2L

« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:20:09 pm »

I was only suggesting suspending printing and distribution, no problem at all with an e-version (I used to edit a newsletter and the printing and distribution was a PITA but everyone claimed they needed a paper copy despite all having email)

Those who will need it the most are probably unable to get it online... they are the same that still send a letter to enter an Audax

« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:27:28 pm »

It's more about having a single place to go look for it if you want to read an old copy of the mag. Having it in your email is unreliable, quotas fill up and people delete emails with large attachments. Placing it on some random webhosting results in dead links when it inevitably moves due to some random reason (e.g. using up free bandwidth on free tiers, or original person moves on, etc). Also some prefer the nicer PDF viewing sites that present it better than one endlessly scrolling thing.

AUK are also a bit precious about it as if it can be downloaded and read for free then they're worried that lots of people will dump their membership.

(I'm happy to pay £15 or whatever a year to be a member of AUK even if I don't get the magazine [by post or electronically].)

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:36:47 pm »

It's more about having a single place to go look for it if you want to read an old copy of the mag. Having it in your email is unreliable, quotas fill up and people delete emails with large attachments. Placing it on some random webhosting results in dead links when it inevitably moves due to some random reason (e.g. using up free bandwidth on free tiers, or original person moves on, etc). Also some prefer the nicer PDF viewing sites that present it better than one endlessly scrolling thing.

AUK are also a bit precious about it as if it can be downloaded and read for free then they're worried that lots of people will dump their membership.

(I'm happy to pay £15 or whatever a year to be a member of AUK even if I don't get the magazine [by post or electronically].)

I'm afraid I recycle most of my Arrivees after one read of the (shorter) articles and a skim through the photos. It's pretty snazzy virgin paper too.

I know from editing that it's as easy to produce 100 copies as one and the addresses are all automatically printed etc. But a lot of dead trees as you say. I think we discussed putting it behind the Members' gateway a few years ago.

I have to pay for a posted rather than pdf copy of a car insurance policy so not sure why AUK can't follow suit (yeah I know one policy is more labour intensive than thousands auto-printed / posted)

If you made it £5 a pop (x4 a year which is probably what it would cost to have a limited run) people might think twice

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:53:52 pm »
I'd also like an electronic version, to save the waste of creating a print version that's going to get read once and end up in the recycling.  I'd even be happy for my membership fees to stay the same.

It's much easier to store (and indeed search) PDFs than paper magazines, which take up physical space.  Ideally, there would be an archive available via the AUK website, perhaps tied to your membership (the BHPC manage it - even charging for back-issues from when you weren't a member).  That said, I'm hesitant to suggest that AUK needs another IT project...

Anyone using email as a file store needs to learn how to use a computer properly!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 24 March, 2020, 09:06:57 pm »
If it was online or sent out as an email attachment, I probably wouldn't bother reading it at all. Which doesn't really matter except it's nice to see photos of people I know (or semi-recognize). It is IMO a very well put together and mostly well written magazine – certainly better in look and feel than the ctcukwearecycling Cycle magazine, despite that being a much more 'professional' publication – but the online format would be less appealing as reading for me. But as I said, no great loss, I don't regard it as a prime point of membership.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2020, 10:54:47 pm »

I really like Arriveé. I look forward to it arriving in my mailbox. I like the deadtree version, I find it easier to read than any online version. I can also easily show it to friends.

But I may be biased, I've had 2 articles published in the last year.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 24 March, 2020, 11:55:29 pm »

If it was online or sent out as an email attachment, I probably wouldn't bother reading it at all.

I rarely read magazines on screen, usually only when it's an archive of them.

Tried reading a book on the kindle reader once and that failed for me too.

Holding the pages and judging the length of an article on physical copy is just too much of the way I read.

The only e magazine I look forward to is the winter edition of Scottish mountaineer, because it tells me a wall planner is in the post.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:34:40 am »
I find reading magazines on screen distracting and inconvenient.
The paper version of Arrivee is a welcome plop through my letterbox, and while the paper quality may be high it does show off the photography to its best.
Arrivee has matured from its roots into a splendid showcase of this strange obsession - and I for one support the dead tree way of doing it
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:21:45 am »
My vote is for dead tree.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:25:07 am »
My vote is for giving people the option.

(And even giving people an option to take a discount on membership if they don't get the dead tree version posted to them.)

« Reply #17 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:29:17 am »
I really look forward to when my copy of Arrivee drops through the letterbox and reading it thoroughly.  I then keep it and will occasionally re-read some articles of interest again.

I still have every edition except No.1

Some years ago now, someone produced a magazine called "Arrivee Recycled" which was a collection of old and almost forgotten articles from previous copies of Arrivee and became very popular for a while.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 25 March, 2020, 04:06:40 pm »
I think that was frankly frankie.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #19 on: 25 March, 2020, 04:11:14 pm »
I like dead trees. With any digital shit I just don't stay on track. It is also a nice thing you can lend to someone or leave in a bike shop or whatever to promote AUK.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

bludger

« Reply #20 on: 25 March, 2020, 04:12:28 pm »

I disagree. Yhe same printer of AUK might well be making all kinds of other things.

This crisis would be made no better by a mass withdrawal of business from the UK economy.

Bunged my copy and snaps in in response to the Facebook post so maybe you can all look forward to seeing me in the next issue

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #21 on: 25 March, 2020, 07:27:14 pm »

I disagree. Yhe same printer of AUK might well be making all kinds of other things.

This crisis would be made no better by a mass withdrawal of business from the UK economy.

tell the builders that; and anyone else who's having to crowd onto packed public transport for non-essential work.

Surely it can wait until the next quarter? FWIW yes I like the printed Arrivee too but would like the option to not cut down as many trees to produce a copy for every member but that's for another time

bludger

« Reply #22 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:12:39 pm »
Ok so what is your proof that the operation of the printers is leading to that situation?

Just withdrawing business on no basis is irresponsible and mean spirited. Printing is very very distinct from construction.

You withdraw the business from the printer. Then the printer withdraws their business from the lorry driver. Before you know it a bunch of people are financially hurting and looking for new income streams. Consumer confidence is knocked even more than it is now and soon it's a downward spiral for the wider microeconomy which worsens our already pretty poor situation.

Unless there is proof that the printers are breaking the rules set by the government and public health authorities nothing should change.

Ban cars.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:16:11 pm »
FWIW yes I like the printed Arrivee too but would like the option to not cut down as many trees to produce a copy for every member but that's for another time
For YEARS I was against using dead trees where it wasn't needed, but I've heard a lot about how trees are now basically a crop plant for our paper, so "green"-wise it really isn't a problem.
(I guess there is still power and other resources used by the printer ...)

Don't forget that web-servers have carbon footprint! :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:32:03 pm »
I really look forward to when my copy of Arrivee drops through the letterbox and reading it thoroughly.  I then keep it and will occasionally re-read some articles of interest again.

I still have every edition except No.1

Some years ago now, someone produced a magazine called "Arrivee Recycled" which was a collection of old and almost forgotten articles from previous copies of Arrivee and became very popular for a while.
I may have both of them in the loft somewhere.
Maybe time for the next one?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.