Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195668 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #250 on: 18 June, 2016, 11:01:54 am »
ABSOLUTE FIRST DRAFT - will review them again this afternoon. Do not download them and use them yet. You will die of lostness.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14498375 - there's a small one-way issue at km107 to tidy up
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14498861
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14499085
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14625420
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #251 on: 18 June, 2016, 03:20:00 pm »
Thanks Marcus, I've created GPXs independently and come up with the same as you so that looks good.

Looks like the online mapping hasn't caught up yet with the A591 reopening at 107km day 1 so that should sort that

Thanks Richard.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #252 on: 18 June, 2016, 03:40:39 pm »
Good news.

I reviewed them and caught a couple of minor things.  Overall, I think they're about right now.

Cleaned the geared bike post France (dried slug remains all over  :sick: )(it's been a bit manic since getting back).  New chain on, new bar tape (and inner cable change at same time) and new pedals to come (left pedal very knackered bearings and will not stay tight, wobbling about like crazy in France.  New axle and bearing kit is £25 per side, might as well have new pedals for £50!).
Right! What's next?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #253 on: 18 June, 2016, 04:05:01 pm »
New axle and bearing kit is £25 per side, might as well have new pedals for £50!).
Pedals are now disposable items. They last about 10 - 15K km and then I need some new ones. If it is a wet winter that time is less. It's all the plastic bodies and parts that are tress fitted into the bodies that makes maintenance impossible.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #254 on: 18 June, 2016, 04:09:16 pm »
Well indeed.  Those have done about 40000km, so I got my money's worth from them.

A few worrying times out in France when I thought they might not survive the trip - moving side to side by about 3-4mm! 

Anyway - excited for the ride now.  Apart from that road by the side of the motorway Lockerbie->Gretna Green, I remember the surface being very challenging on LEL in 2013.

Interestingly paced event for sure with the shortish days 1 (but starting latish) & 3 (but full of hills!) and a long day 2.  Probably means short sleep, short sleep, long sleep.
Right! What's next?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #255 on: 18 June, 2016, 04:32:25 pm »
Just done some maths and the last day only needs to be 78km to make 1000km so should be under 100km. Good sleep on the last night and should be cracked with 4 hours riding.  :thumbsup:

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

simonp

« Reply #256 on: 18 June, 2016, 04:34:52 pm »
No sleep. No sleep. No sleep. Sleep.

« Reply #257 on: 18 June, 2016, 04:45:12 pm »
I'm hoping for four hours stopped each night. Probably unrealistic, but I've bought new ear plugs and an eye mask in hope.

simonp

« Reply #258 on: 18 June, 2016, 04:50:11 pm »
On the 2010 Mille Cymru it was 5, 4, 2h for me. It's a shorter first day so a different split is likely. This ride is probably harder.

« Reply #259 on: 19 June, 2016, 07:52:42 pm »
Just  been going through the  controls. A high chance of several  being  CLOSED when  slower  riders  arrive. For  example  Candys Cafe at  Robin Hoods  Bay  closes  @17:00 control Closing  19:36  - Andy  have you an AUK  concession to use Selfies for POP?

Also maybe worth knowning that Penrith has a  24 hour McDonalds near the station.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #260 on: 19 June, 2016, 08:40:04 pm »
Either in the ride information or the route sheet it mentions the PoP for if you miss candy's.

It is a cash machine at the very bottom of town. The thought of having to drop into Robin Hood's Bay and back out should be enough to spur everyone on!
Right! What's next?

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #261 on: 19 June, 2016, 08:51:12 pm »
Take note that the Robin Hood's Bay control has just changed hands and is now called the "Fish Box Cafe & Takeaway. It now closes at 6:30 pm on a Sunday.

Andy Corless

« Reply #262 on: 20 June, 2016, 10:16:17 am »
Thanks. I think an hour and  half in hand at that point should be both doable and necessary

« Reply #263 on: 20 June, 2016, 11:50:12 am »
Just started to think about this in earnest, after spending the last few weeks trying to resolve the issue of being unable to up/download etrex files after upgrading to windows 10 (my solution was to go back to windows 8.1). Anyway, I was going to either drive, or ride to the event (adding on 600km). Now looking at the train (one gets in at about 00:30 Friday morning). Is there anywhere cheap I can stay that is open at that time? 
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #264 on: 20 June, 2016, 11:53:26 am »
Just started to think about this in earnest, after spending the last few weeks trying to resolve the issue of being unable to up/download etrex files after upgrading to windows 10 (my solution was to go back to windows 8.1). Anyway, I was going to either drive, or ride to the event (adding on 600km). Now looking at the train (one gets in at about 00:30 Friday morning). Is there anywhere cheap I can stay that is open at that time?
Travel Lodges are open 24 hours a day - but Blackpool is a holiday resort and it is summer, so I do not know how cheap it will be.

BB

simonp

« Reply #265 on: 20 June, 2016, 11:57:13 am »
Flexible rate was 50-odd when I booked last week.

« Reply #266 on: 20 June, 2016, 12:02:52 pm »
Thanks
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #267 on: 20 June, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »
I'm going to have to make some more changes to the route. This is because of road closures etc. The new route-sheet will be e-mailed to all entrants probably Thursday (it looks like you're going to have to take the A588 to/from Cockerham in both directions, as one of the roads (I think Ghants Lane) might be closed.

Andy Corless

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #268 on: 20 June, 2016, 12:33:41 pm »

I have booked a B&B through Hotels.com for about £30. You might find something on there with 24 hour check in?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #269 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:19:58 pm »
I'm going to have to make some more changes to the route. This is because of road closures etc. The new route-sheet will be e-mailed to all entrants probably Thursday (it looks like you're going to have to take the A588 to/from Cockerham in both directions, as one of the roads (I think Ghants Lane) might be closed.

Andy Corless
It is an immense task doing a route sheet for 1,000km. I am sure we can cope with one or two road closures. I for one am not worried about this. Now if Hardknott pass was closed I would be concerned  8)

BB

« Reply #270 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:23:04 pm »
If the routesheet is being sent out this week, do I need to enter now or can I wait until a bit later?
I guess I'm almost certainly doing it but I'm concentrating on another weekend of racing before I worry about the 1000k.

simonp

« Reply #271 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:24:52 pm »
And I thought I was being too laid-back about getting organised. :)

« Reply #272 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:53:24 pm »
Probably getting first train up from London for this to make the 10am start so to save using holiday leave and money. Involves changing at Preston for Blackpool. Anyone know what these local trains are like around 8.30-9am on a Friday? Will I be able to get on amongst the commuter traffic?

Euston - Preston - Blackpool North?

I booked the first London - Preston train (5:30) a while ago, the process for booking a bike space was awkward as I had to phone up to check they had space, then book my tickets, then phone back to book the bike space ... Great if you can now do this on the website, I couldn't find it. I think virgin trains have space for about 4 bikes

I hadn't thought that the Preston - Blackpool train might be busy. In my experience Northern trains normally have a couple of bike hangers at the end of certain carriages on the commuter trains, so should be OK for a few, perhaps not for a few dozen ... are many people planning on taking this one?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #273 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:59:14 pm »

I booked the first London - Preston train (5:30)

That is an early rise. I will be sleeping as late as I can and getting a good full English on the way to the start  :thumbsup:

BB

« Reply #274 on: 20 June, 2016, 02:32:54 pm »
And I thought I was being too laid-back about getting organised. :)

My middle name is "last minute".

I didn't really know about this ride until recently and thought it might be a good training ride. It's all a bit ad hoc and has to fit around racing events so I'm constantly juggling training audax and TT.
It's probably a bit longer than I want to be riding but it's there so, why not? I'll probably drive up Thur night and stay somewhere like I did before the Tan Hill and work out sleeping as and when, depending on conditions and kit choice. Or I could just sit in the pub all weekend and some myself some worry ;)