Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195744 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #425 on: 29 June, 2016, 04:15:47 pm »
It's easy to say now (having dropped out weeks ago), but there is no way I'd let a weather forecast put me off this ride. I assume *some* crap weather on any UK ride. It's July not January - any event should be rideable. If it's not, well the clover-leaf format gives flexibility to ride some nice roads without collecting points.

Each to his own of course - and I guess some riders have more flexible arrangements than others (e.g. no train tickets or beds paid for)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #426 on: 29 June, 2016, 04:16:37 pm »
I'm thinking of running a re-run of the event next summer specifically for those that have entered but can't make it this time (ie - DNS/DNF only), with a reduced entry fee (probably £25).

Go on, open it up fully next year for those of us that didn't enter at all this year :) I'm stalking the tread knowing i don't have the fitness but feeling like I'm missing out on a special ride...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #427 on: 29 June, 2016, 04:32:26 pm »
Of course, as flies drop... I imagine that also leads to no worries about drop bag size...

Not that I was going huge or anything !!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #428 on: 29 June, 2016, 04:48:36 pm »
Of course, as flies drop... I imagine that also leads to no worries about drop bag size...

Are we talking drop bag/holdall/rucksack/suitcase here?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #429 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:23:54 pm »

Are we talking drop bag/holdall/rucksack/suitcase here?

errr.....

[/COFFINi]

To Sleep in ?  ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

simonp

« Reply #430 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:27:05 pm »
Is the forecast that bad?

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #431 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:28:59 pm »
Don't think anyone's mentioned anything for Thursday evening yet, so in the absence of any other arrangements I'll be in the Albert and the Lion Wetherspoon's by 7 P.M. if anyone fancies a beer.

simonp

« Reply #432 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:34:03 pm »
Met office summary forecast is basically sunshine and showers, possibly hail and thunder.

Having rode Yr Elenydd in the snow this year, with temperatures as low as -2, I don't think the forecast is that bad.

« Reply #433 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:43:21 pm »
The Norwegians have it looking alright on Friday at Seascale.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Seascale/

« Reply #434 on: 29 June, 2016, 06:36:20 pm »
"
Weather isn't looking particularly good and entrants are dropping like flies! I'm thinking of running a re-run of the event next summer specifically for those that have entered but can't make it this time (ie - DNS/DNF only), with a reduced entry fee (probably £25).
Mille Pennine and LEL  in the same year

« Reply #435 on: 29 June, 2016, 06:39:00 pm »
Don't think anyone's mentioned anything for Thursday evening yet, so in the absence of any other arrangements I'll be in the Albert and the Lion Wetherspoon's by 7 P.M. if anyone fancies a beer.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/lancashire/the-albert-and-the-lion-blackpool
Depends on which train I manage to catch if I will be at the pub

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #436 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:03:48 pm »
Do they have a place where you can park the bikes?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #437 on: 29 June, 2016, 08:18:06 pm »

Do they have a place where you can park the bikes?

BB

Don't know probably not. Anyone have a better solution?

« Reply #438 on: 29 June, 2016, 08:34:36 pm »
Very sad to say I won't be riding now  :'(
I came off my bike last night after hitting something and landed on my face. Eight stitches now under my chin  :-X

If anyone needs a train from London Euston with bike space reserved, you are welcome to my tickets (for a donation):
12:20 Virgin trains (via Manchester) to Blackpool North (paid £21)
return
~15:30  (16:55 Manchester) arrive Euston 19:09 (paid £36)

PM if interested.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #439 on: 29 June, 2016, 09:03:41 pm »
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/lancashire/the-albert-and-the-lion-blackpool
Depends on which train I manage to catch if I will be at the pub
The Albert and the Lion has seating outside at the front. It is next to the Tower and is likely to be crowded. There will be many places and I do not know Blackpool. Does anyone know a pub with a garden where we can stash the bikes?

I will have some shoes so can walk. It does feel right to go out on the sea front.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #440 on: 29 June, 2016, 09:11:15 pm »
At the moment I am still coming, and fancy a 'spoons veggie curry and beer (as I will be missing our CTC curry night). I am bringing a coil lock for my hotel and train, and it has stretched around four bikes before. My hotel is two miles south of the pub, so just like my usual Thursday night ride home after four/five pints (not drinking that many unless I change from rider to helper).

« Reply #441 on: 29 June, 2016, 09:23:30 pm »
The pub is on a pedestrian area so  there should be a hand lamp post. I will get a tram down from the B&B

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #442 on: 29 June, 2016, 09:46:33 pm »
GWS Veloboy
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #443 on: 29 June, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »
GWS Veloboy

Yes indeed. Take it easy over the next few days and hope you make a good recovery.

« Reply #444 on: 30 June, 2016, 12:52:07 am »
I came off my bike last night after hitting something and landed on my face. Eight stitches now under my chin  :-X

sorry to hear that but glad it wasn't worse, hope it's not too painful and you recover soon

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #445 on: 30 June, 2016, 07:19:13 am »
 :(

Sorry to hear about your fall veloboy.  Sounds like a nasty spill. Take it steady and recover well.

A great shame you will not be joining us.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #446 on: 30 June, 2016, 07:35:34 am »
Well, the bags have been re-packed. Small rackpack with side panniers (easier to store the wet gear) in favour of heavier rackpack with side panniers (which wouldn't have been needed). My panniers (drop bag), are either too small or too big, so using one of my kids small rucksacks (I'm sure you couldn't fit more than five 2L bottles in it), so I hope Andy doesn't object.

Speedy recovery, veloboy. Do stitches=free drinks down the pub?

Hope to see someone at 'spoons tonight!

« Reply #447 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:02:52 am »
I'm going to be jumping on a train soon for the long trek up north. My bag is a little bigger than 5 litres, but that's through necessity as I need to carry my panniers, helmet and such the like in it ... less hassle than trying to remove everything from the bike when on the intercity train. Once those items are on the bike, the bag should squeeze down to a sensible size.

The journey for me is soon to begin  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #448 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:06:07 am »

oww! GWS

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #449 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:08:20 am »
Well, the bags have been re-packed. Small rackpack with side panniers (easier to store the wet gear) in favour of heavier rackpack with side panniers (which wouldn't have been needed). My panniers (drop bag), are either too small or too big, so using one of my kids small rucksacks (I'm sure you couldn't fit more than five 2L bottles in it), so I hope Andy doesn't object.

Speedy recovery, veloboy. Do stitches=free drinks down the pub?

Hope to see someone at 'spoons tonight!

I have switched to a small day pack kind of bag instead.  Guess if less people are riding there is more room for bags

Probably not be at 'spoons, got a hotel (premier inn devonshire rd) nearer the start