Author Topic: England kit makes people Cross  (Read 1520 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
England kit makes people Cross
« on: 17 September, 2014, 12:20:47 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/17/rfu-attacked-disrespectful-victoria-cross-england-kit

The Victoria Cross Trust have been upset by this. Do they have control over the emblem? It seems to me that the quote in the article about Help for Heroes and the British Legion is irrelevant.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: England kit makes people Cross
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2014, 03:15:02 pm »
It's not the Victoria Cross: it's the same shape as the VC - & so are very many other crosses, some of them pre-dating the VC design by over a thousand years. The Victoria Cross Trust has absolutely no control or rights over the cross pattée, & if it's trying to claim any it should be slapped down hard.

It's hard to see from that whether the cross pattée on the shirt has a disc as well as the cross, but again, that is not specific to the VC, & long predates it. Again, the VC trust should be slapped down if it tries to claim ownership - but I didn't notice the VC trust complaining when the Federal Republic of Germany adopted the shape for some of its medals, harking back to pre-Nazi German medals.

Some versions of the St. Georges cross use the cross pattée, e.g. on the flag of Georgia. To use it on England rugby kit is therefore acceptable, IMO, though a bit of a stretch.

The RFU was wrong to apologise, IMO, unless it had deliberately copied the VC with the intent of associating the shirt with it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2014, 01:15:14 am »
Publicity seeking on the part of the Victoria Cross Trust, IMO.
Nobody would have noticed if not for the complaint.

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2014, 12:35:07 pm »
I've complained to the VC trust about the complaint. I told 'em I think it's undignified.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2014, 01:40:16 pm »
The RFU was wrong to apologise, IMO, unless it had deliberately copied the VC with the intent of associating the shirt with it.

Quote from: RFU shop
England Home Test Short Sleeve Rugby Shirt 2014/15 - White

Wear your pride with this Canterbury England Home Test Short Sleeve Rugby Shirt. The test jersey has match winning features integrated within the fabric including an inspired Victoria cross grip, side seams moved to the rear and a tapered dropped back hem for a great game every time.

Make of that what you will ...

« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2014, 11:35:45 pm »
Ah. Then the VC trust wasn't wrong to complain. Well, as long as the complaint was versed in terms of it being explicitly a "Victoria cross grip".