Author Topic: tnaR  (Read 58944 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: tnaR
« Reply #50 on: 26 October, 2010, 10:22:41 pm »
Last Thursday I was riding along a narrow road when I hear a vehicle approaching fast from behind me. There was oncoming traffic and the gap between me and that was just big enough that some drivers would have squeezed through, but this one didn't. I was going slowly, fiddling with my water bottle, so I put it back in the cage, straightened up and tried to look as if I was putting some effort in.  :) When the oncoming vehicles had passed, the car behind me overtook, going right over to the other side of the road to do so.

So far, so normal - but this was a black BMW X5 with blacked-out windows. Sometimes it's good to break stereotypes.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #51 on: 17 November, 2010, 01:03:39 pm »
To the driver of the DHL tractor unit with a blue curtain sided trailer on the A30 this morning.

Thank you for your care and attention around me each of the three times you passed me. The first time you gave me loads of room but unfortunately I filtered past at the road works, then you hung well back as I negotiated the round about at Longacres before passing nice and wide again. Unfortunately the Notcutts building site was taking a delivery of Piles which blocked the road and I filtered past again. This time you even acknowledged me in your wing mirror. Finally you passed me one last time, right out into the hatchings of the third lane and were well gone when I reached the top of the hill.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 20 November, 2010, 08:45:46 pm »
Rod Filmer Transport

of Shadoxhurst in Kent.

Driver seen on the A24/A3.

I pulled into the ASL and checked behind me to ensure that the driver coming up behind had registered my presence and was going to stop.

He did stop behind the line, made eye contact with me, and checked his mirrors regularly while we were stopped.

He even waited, patiently, for some numpties to complete some pretty marginal filtering manoeuvres before moving off and keeping his distance.

Great piece of driving.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #53 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »
I just want to say how impressed I am with the behaviour of Britain's drivers at zebra crossings. They almost all stop as soon as it is evident you intend to cross the road, rather than wait until you are already on the crossing which is all they are obliged to do by law. This is the only place in the world I know of where drivers behave so well.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #54 on: 15 April, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »
And there's another one. A driver stopped to let us cross the busy road outside school in spite of being able to carry on to the junction a dozen or so metres with a clear road. And not just any driver - a driver of a white Audi TT!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #55 on: 15 April, 2013, 06:15:44 pm »
I must have missed this first time round.  Well done for resurrecting a great thread.

Anyway, I'd like to thank the driver(s?) of the number 1 bus who so often seems perfectly happy to sit behind me as I grump up the Col De Priory Road in the morning. 

Thanks mate.  It's really appreciated.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #56 on: 16 April, 2013, 08:16:01 am »
Gah!  I got this this morning as well.  I have to cross a busy road to get onto Figges Marsh.  It acn be a long wait.  This morning,  a car stopped to let me out, and a man in a RAV4 in the other lane only saw me from his position four back in the queue, stopped well back and waved me across with a smile.  How can we maintain the quality and ferocity of the rants when that kind of thing is going on?

Saw what you did there. Clearly clever Clarrers.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #57 on: 26 April, 2013, 10:21:01 am »
You Sir, are a blot on the name of WVM!

How dare you start to pull out from a side road right into my path, see me late and realise you were about to cause me harm as I reached for the brakes, stop suddenly BEFORE causing me to brake, wave and appologise profusely through your open window AND, after I sad, "No,it's OK" reply "Nah, I'm a twat. Sorry!"

Go hang your head in shame.

;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #58 on: 26 April, 2013, 01:04:55 pm »
I must have missed this first time round.  Well done for resurrecting a great thread.

Anyway, I'd like to thank the driver(s?) of the number 1 bus who so often seems perfectly happy to sit behind me as I grump up the Col De Priory Road in the morning. 

Tell the bus company. They'll tell the driver and he'll be happy.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #59 on: 21 August, 2013, 04:55:41 pm »
Yesterday, riding along a narrow, quiet country lane in woods somewhere west of Malmesbury, a van was approaching me. No other traffic around and the road was wide enough for both of us - but my side of the road was a mess of jagged potholes and fault lines. The other side, strangely, was smooth. The van man could have carried on driving but he realised why I was swerving around the road and pulled over till I had passed.  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #60 on: 22 August, 2013, 01:15:55 pm »

Tell the bus company. They'll tell the driver and he'll be happy.

This, in spades, it will be brought up (usually) at his performance review too which, if it gets him a few more shekels in his pay packet will a) make him a really happy bunny and b) make him stay considerate to cyclists...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #61 on: 02 September, 2013, 10:09:25 pm »
Two from yesterday. First, a narrow residential street, parked cars all along one side, too narrow for a car to pass a bike at any point. I'm approaching the T junction at the end, which is onto a very steep (but short) hill, when a car comes round the corner - and stops and backs a bit and waves me through.

The second was similar, except that the oncoming white van(!!!) definitely had priority in strict terms as was already in the narrowed (due to parking again) street whereas I was just approaching that section and intended to wait in a gap between cars, but the driver stopped and waved me through. Yes, even WVM goes out of his way to be nice sometimes!

« Reply #62 on: 03 September, 2013, 08:41:48 am »
I was approaching a right turn yesterday across two lanes of queuing traffic. Lorry driver in the outside lane stopped, signalled me to cross and then instantly checked his nearside mirror to check there was no-one tearing up the inside. Very cool.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #63 on: 10 September, 2013, 08:46:26 am »
Nearly a rant this morning but the driver of the Vaccuume tanker realised what he was about to do and bailed out to the right of the pedestrian island.

Heard him coming, couldn't stop him overtaking and was already hitting the brakes when he suddenly went wider and left me the whole of the left hand lane rather than squash me by coming back to the left.

Here

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #64 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:13:20 am »
This morning, a cyclist said "Sorry" to me! And all because when I turned to use the zebra crossing - on a 'pavement' that is actually a barricaded-off part of the carriageway outside long-term buidling works, so you turn within its width (narrowness) and are immediately at the kerb, rather than walking towards the kerb - she was too close to stop! And the cyclist behind her - there were three bikes one behind the other, no cars - did stop. So I thanked him. Oh dear, what a lot of sorrys and thanks.

« Reply #65 on: 03 July, 2014, 10:22:15 am »
To Cheam Scaffolding.

Good morning,

Some years ago I had a particularly scary close pass (whilst on my bike) from one of your lorries on the approach to Sunbury Cross roundabout. I contacted your office and spoke to someone there who really did sound quite upset that one of her drivers would act in this way.

Anyhow, moving on a few years to this morning, I was heading from Raynes Park to Kingston along Coombe Lane (and still on my bike) at about 8.20 and I am delighted to report that the truck which followed me at a nice distance and didn’t once try to overtake anywhere inappropriate was a Cheam Scaffolding truck.

Most truck drivers would try to get past along this stretch and such a manoeuvre always strikes me as a wholly disproportionate balance between the driver’s convenience and my safety, even more so because any overtake here simply gets the vehicle to the back of the traffic jam at the Kingston Hospital traffic lights a few seconds sooner.

Full marks to whoever was driving this morning. He’s good.

If you could pass this on if you can identify the driver I would really appreciate it.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #66 on: 03 July, 2014, 10:25:02 am »
And another, from last year to Front Runner Logistics.

Good afternoon,

No need for a reply, I just thought I’d like to let you know that you have an ace driver in your fleet.

This morning at 08.17 I was on my bike was turning right onto Cadbury Road from Burgoyne Road. It was wet, cold and horrible and there was a long line of traffic approaching from my left.

One of your trucks heading North along Cadbury Road saw my predicament and flashed his lights to let me out, even though I would end up ahead of him. Clearly he had local knowledge as he knew that delay would only actually hold up his arrival at the lights at the junction with Chertsey Road/Grovelly Road.

Clearly a nice chap (I presume it was a chap) and a thoughtful, considerate driver.

If you can identify the driver for me I would be most grateful if you could pass my thanks on. Many thanks.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #67 on: 03 July, 2014, 10:34:24 am »
 :thumbsup: Hatler.

Minor ones, non-bike, from this morning: At both points where we cross the road on the way to school (separate roads) there is usually a jam and particularly on the second, impatient drivers. But this morning on both roads, a driver stopped to let us cross although there was no queue. And one of them was in a black Audi!

« Reply #68 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:36:31 am »
To Cheam Scaffolding.

Good morning,

Some years ago I had a particularly scary close pass (whilst on my bike) from one of your lorries on the approach to Sunbury Cross roundabout. I contacted your office and spoke to someone there who really did sound quite upset that one of her drivers would act in this way.

Anyhow, moving on a few years to this morning, I was heading from Raynes Park to Kingston along Coombe Lane (and still on my bike) at about 8.20 and I am delighted to report that the truck which followed me at a nice distance and didn’t once try to overtake anywhere inappropriate was a Cheam Scaffolding truck.

Most truck drivers would try to get past along this stretch and such a manoeuvre always strikes me as a wholly disproportionate balance between the driver’s convenience and my safety, even more so because any overtake here simply gets the vehicle to the back of the traffic jam at the Kingston Hospital traffic lights a few seconds sooner.

Full marks to whoever was driving this morning. He’s good.

If you could pass this on if you can identify the driver I would really appreciate it.
And a reply.

It was myself you spoke to previously, and thank you very much for the positive feed back I will pass your comments on to my driver.
Rust never sleeps

JJ

« Reply #69 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:57:15 am »
Now nice to see this thread again on a sunny morning.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #70 on: 03 July, 2014, 01:22:52 pm »
This thread always cheers my mood.
Getting there...

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #71 on: 03 July, 2014, 02:41:25 pm »
Just noticed this thread, and figured it was a good place to share my experience of a few weeks back, cycling up the steepest part Coombe Lane with a skip hire truck behind me. I was wary, having been all but forced off the road by a truck with a skip on the back in the past. This one stayed behind until it was clear, then conducted a pass as considerate as any cyclist could ever hope for. I think that was a Kappagh truck.

It's always good to see examples of drivers, especially drivers with their company names emblazoned on their vehicles, being so considerate.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

spindrift

« Reply #72 on: 03 July, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »
Good afternoon

Thank you very much for your e-mail and taking the time to contact us.  I will pass this onto the Driver concerned, I’m sure he would also be grateful of your comments.

Kind regards

Paul

Office Manager

FITZMAURICE CARRIERS LTD, NORWICH

Subject: Your driver -vehicle AU1

Dear Sir.

At about 11am today I encountered your driver at what is often a tricky junction, I was cycling under Grapes Hill and emerged on Pottergate, close to the Micawbers' Tavern. A car was stupidly parked right at the exit to the ramp so I had to swerve round it, and your driver patiently waited- he had also respected the Give Way sign, not many drivers do that there. Driver was a middle-aged male, close-cropped grey hair, I wish there were more drivers like him around.

Best regards

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #73 on: 10 July, 2014, 09:41:17 am »
I had an exemplary overtake from a *skip truck* on Monday, just before Stadhampton on the A329. Waited patiently then pulled right over to the other side of the road when it was clear. Given the general reputation of these drivers, it would have been worth a pink (that's the opposite of a grink - p for praise) if I had spotted a name.

« Reply #74 on: 10 July, 2014, 12:09:10 pm »
I've just returned from a week's cycling holiday in Holland where this sort of behaviour from drivers is normal.

So I'm a bit stuck for a rant now ......
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo