Author Topic: Six Nations 2013  (Read 25049 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Six Nations 2013
« on: 01 February, 2013, 11:52:15 pm »
I am very excited - we have two delectable matches tomorrow on our hands folks  :D

So, what are your predictions?

If mods are happy to add the old Six Nations to The Sporting Life and delete this thread then no worries.

I frankly do not know how we are going to beat the Irish tomorrow, their luck in Cardiff is immense and we are a team of talent, but not really a team in essence as yet.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Six Nations 2013
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2013, 11:53:28 pm »
My prediction would be two home wins, with the second one by a wider margin than the first.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2013, 12:06:23 am »
I think Wales will beat Ireland narrowly tomorrow: 17 - 14 or something like that.

Are England at home to Scotland?

Wales are at home to start and finish the season, away for the other three matches. Could they be playing England for the Grand Slam again? They'd have to win in Paris...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2013, 12:07:15 am »
England are at home

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2013, 12:12:34 am »
*wriggles with excitement*

So, what are your predictions?

England - Scotland.
Probably close at half time - 3 points in it either way.  England run away with the second half.

Wales - Ireland
Wales struggle but hold on to a barely deserved win.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2013, 01:31:34 am »
Wales - Ireland.  Close game which could go either way but I think Ireland will win narrowly.  I expect both sides will chuck the ball around, bearing in mind the best Welsh weapons are Cuthbert and North on the wings and also that it may be Brian O'Driscoll's last 6 Nations. 

England - Scotland.  Scotland will throw the kitchen sink at England 'cos this is the one they want to win [and if they do then that's their championship made].  Billy Twelvetrees could be the star of this game on his debut if he manages to release the English outside backs in tandem with Owen Farrell.  I think England are growing with every match and after absorbing the pressure will score a good amount of points.  England to win by 15.  It's a pity Corbisiero is out, he could have been England's player of the tournament.

On Sunday, I think France will scrape an away win.  But.... Italy are so hard to beat at home especially in the early stages of the competition, this could well be an upset!

Bearing in mind my predictions for the last World Cup, I now fully expect the opposite of what I've just predicted!

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2013, 07:41:31 am »
Ireland.
England
France
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2013, 09:53:34 am »
Scotland will get gubbed.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2013, 02:40:50 pm »
I frankly do not know how we are going to beat the Irish tomorrow Quote-Her welshness

Given the half time score,  I think your fears are justified.
I  did say on the other thread that the Irish would be the team to beat.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2013, 04:03:19 pm »
One thing I continue to hate about the current rugby broadcasts is the employment of an Amplified Warbling BintTM to drown out the crowd during the anthems. If the crowd can't sing the anthems then why bother with them?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2013, 04:08:38 pm »
There seem to be some very fine beards on display at Twickenham.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2013, 04:12:34 pm »
How absolutely spiffing!  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12 on: 02 February, 2013, 05:15:39 pm »
Normal service appears to have been resumed :)

« Reply #13 on: 02 February, 2013, 05:48:49 pm »

I like the way that the commentary team are too polite to say this. All the pundits were saying it would be a close game.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2013, 03:21:55 pm »
The Azzurri have turned up  :thumbsup: Cracking game of rugby so far.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2013, 04:53:30 pm »
What a brilliant result! I only watched the last 5 minutes and for 3 of those didn't realise who was winning or who was wearing blue.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2013, 05:00:35 pm »
Hahahaha! I think that Michalak had a brain fart  :o Almost like Wales in the first half yesterday  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2013, 05:06:32 pm »
Given the fixture list (Italy are away to Scotland, at home to Wales and Ireland) what are the odds on England v Italy for the Grand Slam?  ;D

And a big beardy prop forward scores a try. It can't get better than that.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2013, 05:09:20 pm »
I have a feeling the French might be rather wound up for their next home match. Probably not good for the Welsh.

« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2013, 05:11:30 pm »
Sacre bleu et merde aussi!!!!!!! Thats a turn up. Wish I'd got tickets for Scotland vs Italy now rather than the Irish match.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »
I didn't realise until listening to the chatterers just now that Clive Woodward didn't like beards and wouldn't pick a player who had one. Tosser.

« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:28:10 am »
Sacre bleu et merde aussi!!!!!!! Thats a turn up. Wish I'd got tickets for Scotland vs Italy now rather than the Irish match.
I did!  ;D Can't wait now - it'll be a bit epic!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

LEE

« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:35:54 am »
I didn't realise until listening to the chatterers just now that Clive Woodward didn't like beards and wouldn't pick a player who had one. Tosser.

Still hanging on to the dream that it was your beard holding you back from being selected against the Aussies when we won the World Cup I see.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 04 February, 2013, 08:19:31 am »

Still hanging on to the dream that it was your beard holding you back from being selected against the Aussies when we won the World Cup I see.

I wouldn't have lowered myself to play for England anyway. :P

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »
England - Scotland.
Probably close at half time - 3 points in it either way.  England run away with the second half.

Not bad.

Based on the first weekend's games, and the abject capitulation of France, even the most red-blooded Welshman would have to admit England look by far the strongest team this year. Not counting any chickens yet, though...

I like the way that the commentary team are too polite to say this. All the pundits were saying it would be a close game.

That really annoyed me. Scotland were admittedly much better than I was expecting but the result was as much of a foregone conclusion as you'll ever get in the Six Nations.* But we've got to go to Dublin next and I suspect that is going to be a rather closer contest... Wouldn't like to predict the outcome of that, but it could prove crucial in the final reckoning.

And I regret suggesting before this weekend that O'Driscoll was over the hill. Those words could come back to haunt me. He still has that uncanny ability to unlock any defence with a moment of genius. Rory Best was another of the weekend's big stars for me. Awesome. Lucky for Ireland the game was already won by the time he was sin-binned.

d.

*much like Italy vs France...  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."