Author Topic: Repeating Roads  (Read 5698 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Repeating Roads
« on: 12 April, 2021, 11:56:55 pm »

What does AUK say on the subject of repeating roads? IIRC you can't have a 100km loop and repeat it, but can you have a 100km out and back, where it just happens the two ends are 1km apart, kinda like doing the loop clockwise, then anti clockwise?

Am trying to work out if I can fit a 200km DIY into the island of Texel...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Repeating Roads
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:13:45 am »
The same road in opposite directions doesn’t count as a repeat. You can loop back to the start point, turn around and ride the same roads back.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:26:10 am »
Case in point: the Invicta Grimpeur 100 is a 50km loop which you ride clockwise then anti-clockwise (or anti-clockwise then clockwise every other year).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:37:50 am »
I was under the impression you could also do a figure of eight or a clover leaf?

That would have you repeating the same road, but not as a 'lap'

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:39:49 am »
ACP advice is to avoid figure-8s because they encourage weaker riders to cut it short.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:48:59 am »
Back when audax was suspended around May last year I tried a figure of 8 from home. The reasoning being I could refuel and top up the water bottles after the first 100km loop then go out on the second.  I got back after the first loop and felt fine. After some beans on toast and tea.  I got a dose of CBA and instead spent the afternoon sitting in garden with a book.  Partly inertia once back home, and also lack of audax points or recording at the time. Even now points / audax are back I’m unlikely to map an audax that involves a couple of loops from home. I’ve decided outside of audaxes or tours my just right longest distance sits at around 4-6 hours of cycling.

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:19:26 am »
I was under the impression you could also do a figure of eight or a clover leaf?

That would have you repeating the same road, but not as a 'lap'

You’re meant to keep repeats to the minimum practical if you do that

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:29:23 am »
I thought you could repeat roads on a DIY - but only once and in the opposite direction.

Is this right ? I can't remember where I got that from tbh ...

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:31:56 am »
ACP advice is to avoid figure-8s because they encourage weaker riders to cut it short.
Makes sense.

... I've been guilty of doing just that.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:39:02 am »
I thought you could repeat roads on a DIY - but only once and in the opposite direction.
Is this right ?

Yes that's right.

But as Grams says, it's "significant" repeats in the same direction which are not allowed - short bits, eg for revisiting control on the way back, or for visiting a central base, are ok.

« Reply #10 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:29:21 pm »
Apart from short stretches (as @TonyH describes above) designing a DIY route which revisits the same roads riding in the same direction implies lack of imagination and/or laziness at the planning stage. And fails the 'boldness' test too.
Texel is, I guess, a special case (so extra 'boldness points'!) I reckon (have had a little play on RwGPS) you could design a 200 on the island (mandatory route/GPS validated).

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:46:59 pm »
This is a thread that could do with one answer, which has already been provided, but no doubt will go on for several pages...  ::-)

« Reply #12 on: 13 April, 2021, 03:02:05 pm »

« Reply #13 on: 13 April, 2021, 03:06:44 pm »
This is a thread that could do with one answer, which has already been provided, but no doubt will go on for several pages...  ::-)
Perhaps there should be a rule that you can only go over the topic once (in each direction)......
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 13 April, 2021, 05:08:14 pm »

Especially if people add comments that are utterly irrelevant and in no way helpful to the original question.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 13 April, 2021, 05:10:25 pm »

Especially if people add comments that are utterly irrelevant and in no way helpful to the original question.

J

Me too

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16 on: 13 April, 2021, 05:27:39 pm »
Perhaps there should be a rule that you can only go over the topic once (in each direction)......

:thumbsup:

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #17 on: 13 April, 2021, 05:49:19 pm »

J

Yes we’ll need to watch out for that. 

« Reply #18 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:16:04 pm »
I think that basic answer to end all answers is that you can do any section of road in both directions - but you may do either or both directions only once.

The only alternative to this interpretation is if I'm wrong.

« Reply #19 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:21:23 pm »
There is a very simple answer to that but I don't know what it is.

« Reply #20 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:23:17 pm »
How on earth do you expect to start an argument with a post like that ?  Get a grip!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:30:19 pm »
Do we have to take the shortest route?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #22 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:33:38 pm »
No, but if you do you may not collect £200.

« Reply #23 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:40:16 pm »
Wonder if anyone has done a DIY based on Monopoly roads ...

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:49:18 pm »
Wonder if anyone has done a DIY based on Monopoly roads ...

It would be hard to make such a ride add up to 200km. Especially if you're not allowed to repeat roads.