Author Topic: Really black cat  (Read 2315 times)

Really black cat
« on: 25 August, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »
I was tickling Taliskers tummy, and realised that everything on him is black (no, not that!).  The inside of his ears, his noise, and the pads of his paws are all black, whereas as far as I recall, on all other colours of cats I've seen, they are pink.  Is that the case, or do cats with other colours of fur have different coloured "skin" ?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Elleigh

Re: Really black cat
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2008, 12:43:43 pm »
Salam is a long fur chocolate coloured cat and his ears, nose and pads are black.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2008, 12:50:05 pm »
I don't know the answer to that. But I can tell you that 2 of my brothers cats have been black, and while they started off with black pads, after some years they got 'holes in their socks' and now some of the pads are pink. Our two still have black pads though.

But I can tell you that Mojo's winkie is definitely pink though.  :-[
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2008, 12:57:59 pm »
I've just been having a leaf thru my 'cat a day' calendar and it looks like it varies quite a lot, not necessarily with colour.

Little old Tabitha was grey and she had a grey nose and grey skin.

It is funny though how Siamese cats get their dark 'point' where the temperature is cooler - I believe they get spayed under the tummy rather than on their side like most cats for this reason...

« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2008, 04:32:25 pm »
I don't know the answer to that. But I can tell you that 2 of my brothers cats have been black, and while they started off with black pads, after some years they got 'holes in their socks' and now some of the pads are pink. Our two still have black pads though.

Talisker is about ten, and totally black, unlike a lot of cats (he was a pre-owned cat, so we never knew his exact age).  Apparently the persecution of black cats in the middle ages (as familiars) means that totally black cats are relatively rare, most have a slight patch of white somewhere, in effect total blackness was bred out as an undesirable characteristic.  There's no sign that Talisker is "wearing" thin anywhere

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2008, 09:52:46 am »
Ours are black-and-white (aka Post Office Standard Issue cats) and their skin is black under the black fur and pink under the white fur.  They both have pink pads, except for the 2nd left on the left front paw, which is black (the naughty toe, wherin lives the bad cat who takes over now-and-again and causes Trouble).

Inside their mouths the skin is also black-and-white splodgy

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2008, 04:01:46 pm »
We were only remarking on what makes a cat the colour it is ,we have three who seem to have bits of all sots just splodged in random amounts all over their bodies .There seems to be no rhyme or reason to ,but within the litter our longish haired 2 tabby mix up kittens came in was one shorthaired white pawedblack kitten .Can a female moggy in season concieve  kittens within the litter by different males.

« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2008, 04:10:47 pm »

Svankmajer has a black nose, but inside his ears is pink. Not sure I've seen a full-stealth cat before.

They both have pink pads, except for the 2nd left on the left front paw, which is black

If you turn him over, Bruno's front pads are both pink-pink-black-pink (same on both sides, not mirror-imaged  ???), and his back pads are black-black-pink-black.

(the naughty toe, wherin lives the bad cat who takes over now-and-again and causes Trouble).

Several years ago, before our current cats, we had an inherited black cat named Pepper. One night I had a dream that I saw Pepper coming out of our bedroom closet, and realized that she had been in there since we moved into the apartment. In the dream, I figured out that the cat we had been living with all that time was the "bad backup copy" of Pepper we had made for safety before moving.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:03:16 pm »
... Can a female moggy in season conceive  kittens within the litter by different males.

I believe I've seen something that says that this can be the case, although I can't find any confirmation of this.  Is there a vet in the house?

Svankmajer has a black nose, but inside his ears is pink. Not sure I've seen a full-stealth cat before.

Tali is definitely totally stealth, although in bright sunlight his fur can look dark brown rather than black.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:09:10 pm »
... Can a female moggy in season conceive  kittens within the litter by different males.

I believe I've seen something that says that this can be the case, although I can't find any confirmation of this.  Is there a vet in the house ?

Our two are from the same litter and one is half siamese and one not*, so I'd say "yes" :)

*the other one is half pyjama case

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:15:38 pm »

I believe I've seen something that says that this can be the case, although I can't find any confirmation of this.  Is there a vet in the house?
That's correct. The male has a barbed penis (which when he withdraws explains why he gets a slap round the chops for his trouble). The raking action of the barbs stimulate ovulation. So every time a female is mated another egg is released and a kitten or kittens from a different father can be conceived.

« Reply #11 on: 29 August, 2008, 01:58:45 am »
We were only remarking on what makes a cat the colour it is ,we have three who seem to have bits of all sots just splodged in random amounts all over their bodies .There seems to be no rhyme or reason to ,but within the litter our longish haired 2 tabby mix up kittens came in was one shorthaired white pawedblack kitten .Can a female moggy in season concieve  kittens within the litter by different males.

They can, but black and white and tabby cats are commonly found in the same litter and having the same parents. Cats have two colours - orange and black/brown/yellow (diluted blacks, as it were).  Both the black in the black and white cat, and the brown in the stripes of a tabby are from the same source. It lives on the X, so female cats can be both orange and black - tortieshell.

Tabbyness is a separate gene. Non-tabby-ness is recessive, and just a masking of tabby-ness. In the right light you can often see very subtle stripes on otherwise black cats - more so on kittens, I think. (This doesn't work on orange/ginger cats, afaik, just on black/brown/yellow cats. Hence no bright orange cats and lots of ginger tabbies.) There are also variations on the tabby pattern.

Hair length is separate again (long's recessive), as is the gene for white patches of fur (which iirc comes in options of hardly any/some/lots). There's a different one again for white-all-over, which over-rides the other colours and patterns when it appears. That's where you get your all and almost-all-white cats, and that one's linked to deafness.

That's a very simplistic explanation. Sorry! But cat genetics is such that you get all manner of mixtures in the same litter and from the same parents. When I had a pregnant cat I spent far too long trying to work out what her kittens would look like, and concluded that almost anything might come out. In the end, two were tabby, and two were black and white like their mum (and mostly they were too premature and tiny to live).