Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL2017: Who is out?  (Read 13848 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
[LEL17] LEL2017: Who is out?
« on: 09 January, 2017, 11:24:13 am »
After wanting to do it ever since I failed to finish in 2013, I'm backing out now. I'm following the same path I did in 2013, but I'm even fatter and less fit than I was then.

Despite all the efforts I made to make sure I'd have an entry available, I'm not going to do it. To be honest it feels like a weight lifted off me. I wouldn't want to attempt it and fail again.

I'm going to volunteer instead, and make sure I get an entry for 2021  :thumbsup:

Who else was wanting to do it, but now isn't?

Re: LEL2017: Who is out?
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:12:28 pm »
Me. After toying with the idea for a while I realised that real life was going to get in the way too much this summer. Unfortunately this seems to be a recurring problem for me with this event, I rode it in 2001 (probably the last time it had good weather) and have never managed to since.
I agree with it feeling like a weight lifted off me - at least I made the decision at the right time. For 2013 I spent January in the Urals without internet access - by the time I got back to civilisation it had sold out.

rob

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:17:04 pm »
Never really planned to do this year but enjoyed the last 2, even with the interesting weather both times.

Different goals this year, but may be back in 4 years time.

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:48:02 pm »
I wanted to have a go and I have a place courtesy of AUK membership but money is tight at the moment and I couldn't justify it. The fee is great value but I need to add to it travel and accommodation costs before and after and it was coming out too much. Have volunteered to help at the Louth control.

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2017, 01:02:03 pm »
Been looking forward to it for two years but a combination of family and work commitments meant that that week was the only full week between Easter and October that myself and Mrs WDM could simultaneously take off work. As this is the final summer before WDM Jr. leaves us for university it was no contest really - family first.

As my consolation prize / target, I have identified one weekend a month March to September to ride a series of seven 600s, and hope to bag my first ever R10000.
Eddington Number = 132

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2017, 01:06:20 pm »
I was considering it but not a good situation at work at the moment so would not be able to get the training in that's needed.

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2017, 01:13:26 pm »
Lots of reasons:

I had such a good time on the last one I don't want to be disappointed.
I haven't got £319 before Jan 20th.
Mr Smith needs to do a big ride on his own. (He doesn't think this, I told him he did.)
I can ride the good bits (North of The Humber) any time, now.
I'd rather spend the money on better weather, smoother roads, and somewhere the average driver doesn't actually hate cyclists.
It clashes with the Semaine Federale which I'm going to with my mum & No2Daughter
It's only a week after the 24, which I hope to be ready to make a decent crack at, this year.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2017, 01:24:08 pm »
Can't put the amount of training and money into it presently, even though I could register now.
Will try to get back and ride longer distances again  soon I hope

paul851

« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2017, 02:11:37 pm »
I'm probably not going to be able to do it this year  :-[ My youngest boys cancer relapsed a week after I got back from the Wild Atlantic Way Audax ( DNF ) and I have spent what has probably been the most terrifying 6 months of my life in and out of hospital and PICU and treatment is still ongoing  :-[

Paul

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2017, 02:15:56 pm »
It clashes with the Semaine Federale which I'm going to with my mum & No2Daughter
I've yet to go to the Semaine, and was looking at this year (close to the ports), but decided on LEL again. Hope my CTC mates don't rub it in!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 09 January, 2017, 02:18:33 pm »
Sounds grim, Paul!
Puts much into perspective.

Wishing your son, you and your family all the very best for the year!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2017, 02:32:45 pm »
Sounds grim, Paul!
Puts much into perspective.

Wishing your son, you and your family all the very best for the year!

Aye, there are much more important things than riding your bike.

« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2017, 02:57:58 pm »
Lots of reasons:

Who could resist the possibility of an interlude on water skis?
Without leaving the regional park of the Perche and its national forests, you will make a significant incursion into the department of Eure-et-Loire. Those with most endurance will press on to Fontaine-Simon and may be tempted by a nautical teleski session on the lake…

It's a bit of a pain that LEL clashes, as it's at Mortagne, so an opportunity to sample the atmosphere of PBP, but without the continual grind. But that's the problem with Sem Fed. It offers the experience of multi-day rides without the pain. The LEL equivalent would be the Birthday Rides based in the Howardian Hills.

rob

« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:35:36 pm »
It's only a week after the 24, which I hope to be ready to make a decent crack at, this year.

:thumbsup:

Bairn Again

« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2017, 03:45:52 pm »
I had intended doing it, but there was a bit of a rumpus at work regarding annual leave.  There sometimes is when it comes to the school holidays and weve now got a new boss added to the mix. 

So having originally bagged the week of LEL, I offered to swap with a colleague who unlike me has school age kids so he can get away on holiday with his family.  O:-)

The upshot is that I cant ride LEL but have instead booked the week beginning 14th Aug and may do a one way 1300 in France ending somewhere convenient for travel home. 

I've got as far as booking on the European Bike Express to Bayonne dropping me off Sunday 13th Aug and sketching out a rough route as far north as Lille.   

EDIT - and yes, it means I could do the Mersey Roads 24.   :o

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2017, 02:21:02 pm »
I was so excited about LEL2013 and was making plans during the winter of 2012... but I wasn't paying attention to my family's needs. I wasn't listening. Eventually I realised how singleminded I'd become and how untimely LEL2013 was for us as a family. I'm so glad I made the decision to *not* enter ahead of entries opening. It was a weight off my mind and family life took priority. So much so that my Son came along to Thirsk with me when I volunteered. LEL2017 is the right time - and I don't think I'm kidding myself.

This is a good thread. Amid the fears and jubilation of those who have entered LEL2017, knowing that the decision to not enter has been made, and also made by others, is really helpful.

« Reply #16 on: 10 January, 2017, 04:47:38 pm »
I try to seek out new rides where possible, and avoid repeating old ones. There are many exciting brevets out there that pull on me more than a second LEL, with the trip across the fens being a particular turnoff.

That said, I do love a longer ride and there aren't that many 1200+ events out there that are reachable with minimal carbon footprint, juggling family commitments I finally opted for http://www.transatlanticway.com/ as the big ride this year which isn't even an audax! Really looking forward to that, and it helps with the pangs of envy whenever I see friends posting about how they've just entered LEL.

This year's event is going to be amazing, and I will be jealous, and I will have to endure stories about how great it was, but that is my choice. My involvement in tracking the Transcontinental riders would also be a distraction, but will be useful in keeping me busy and I can live vicariously through them as well.

Finally, I've got an idea for a calendar 600 from London next year which I might just ride as a DIY over the same time!
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #17 on: 10 January, 2017, 07:41:27 pm »
I'm really quite keen to do it, and Mrs Dan was being encouraging, but I really don't feel I can spare the time. Firstly away from the family at weekends to get fit enough, particularly the doing a long ride the day after a long ride bit. Then to use a week of leave at a time when both sets of grandparents are showing their age and we want to call on them less rather than more to cover school holidays. 4 or 5 days of cycling can be had for less leave on a bank holiday weekend.

In 4 years it will feel more plausible.

And best wishes to you and your son, Paul.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:13:12 pm »
I haven't decided yet.  It's definitely something on my to-do list - or at least some stupid length bike thing to go with the ultra marathons.

Reasons to do it
- because it's there
- to prove I can (to myself)

REasons not to do it
- it's an expensive mistake if I don't get it right, LeJog or a back to back C2C would be cheaper for example
- lot's going on at work at the moment as I'm in the running for promotion to partner with May/June being the crunch time, perhaps PBP 2019 or LEL 2021 woulde be a better bet
- a recent training ride has me doubting my fitness, despite evidence to the contrary from last year.  I know, I'm just messing with my own head.  :facepalm:

10 days to decide.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #19 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:50:19 pm »
Not 10 days .. AUK entries expire on the 19th.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

ElyDave

« Reply #20 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:57:24 pm »
Not 10 days .. AUK entries expire on the 19th.

I don't qualify for the AUK preferential entries, haven't been a member log enough

ElyDave

« Reply #21 on: 19 January, 2017, 09:13:21 pm »
I think I'm out

Rationale
- I've only been doing audax for a year, not more than 200km so far so 1400km is a big step up.  Not in itself a reason,
But
- we're investigating a potential new treatment pathway for my son's seizures whish will involve many tests, MRIs, trips to GOSH for assessment etc and possible surgery, all of which has timing not in my control
- stuff at work with changing responsibilities, promotion interviews etc all in May/June/July
- time away from home for the training at an otherwise busy time

Other stuff
- having only been audaxing 12 months I have a lot to learn, another four years will teach me much
- just because other people are doing it doesn't mean I have to.  I can be a perfectly happy and fulfilled audaxer at 200km, or maybe 300, perhaps 400.
- there are other challenges out there that I had in mind before I'd ever heard of LEL
- If I did it, I'd want to do it lying down, I need more practice at that.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #22 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:55:17 pm »
I ummed and ahhed over the last few weeks, but I'm definitely now volunteering rather than riding :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #23 on: 19 January, 2017, 11:06:22 pm »
I ummed and ahhed over the last few weeks, but I'm definitely now volunteering rather than riding :)

Looking forward to seeing you at a control. :)

« Reply #24 on: 20 January, 2017, 07:11:21 am »
Working full time (37 hours a week) at a new job and doing my final year (I finish in September) of an engineering degree - in theory 24 hours of study a week.

It means I'm finding hardly any cycling time - only been out once this year.

I just can't see finding the time to get fit enough.

But hopefully lejog next year and then I'll consider the next PBP and LEL.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1