Author Topic: [LEL17] Gearing  (Read 10470 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
[LEL17] Gearing
« on: 18 October, 2016, 09:25:06 pm »
Having looked at the route, most of it seems non-problematic, but looking at the top end the hill at Alston seems pretty serious.

I have a 50-34 and a 11-40 on the recumbent, do I need to gear down? Or is it just the route sheet "compressing" the hills on the screen?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Gearing
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2016, 09:58:14 pm »
Did you mean the cobbled section up past the Market Cross (going South) ?
https://goo.gl/maps/TnZaxW5g58S2
The cobbles are more of an issue than the gradient IMO.

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2016, 10:06:01 pm »
I was looking at the route and elevation profile on the LEL website.

This section https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route/barnardcastle-brampton/

I have no idea about cobbles, They'll just put my spine out on a no-sus 'bent.

The rest looks relatively benign in terms of up and down.

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2016, 10:19:22 pm »
Managed the cobbles uphill on Lucy's 600 a couple of years ago - 28/34 bottom  gear.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2016, 10:46:17 pm »
A 50 is fine for the cobbles. HTH.

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2016, 11:03:38 pm »
I was looking at the route and elevation profile on the LEL website.
This section https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route/barnardcastle-brampton/
is usually refered to as Yad Moss (which strictly speaking only applies to the summit).
Gradients are mostly benign, the pull out of Alston southbound is probably the steepest section.  Not much more than 10% - 12% at a guess?

ElyDave

« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2016, 11:04:04 pm »
Managed the cobbles uphill on Lucy's 600 a couple of years ago - 28/34 bottom  gear.

Fairly similar to 34/40 without a gear calculator handy, maybe a bit lower.

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2016, 11:19:50 pm »
The Howardian hills is about as steep as it got on LEL 2013. About 17% max I think but short and sharp rather than long and gentle like most of the northern bits, some 13-15% repeat rollers in Essex but again nothing for too long. Lincolnshire Wolds had a few steep bits last time but the 2017 is gentler in that respect , nothing stood out steepness wise on that bit recently.

« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2016, 12:14:52 am »
is it just the route sheet "compressing" the hills on the screen?
Typically, yes.  Most of the basic profile graphs use a standard width of display, so for a shorter stage, things look flatter, and for a longer one, steeper. 
I think that the "upgrade" / payment required version allows you to use a standard spacing for the heights, at least.
Otherwise, you can attempt some stretching and squishing of the graphic, to more or less get everything on a normalized x:y scale.
If you think a place might be steep, you may be able to zoom in, and pick another graph to display slope percentages.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2016, 01:46:33 am »
Having looked at the route, most of it seems non-problematic, but looking at the top end the hill at Alston seems pretty serious.

I have a 50-34 and a 11-40 on the recumbent, do I need to gear down? Or is it just the route sheet "compressing" the hills on the screen?

You'll be fine with that.  I'll probably be riding 44-16 to start and flipping to 44-18 for the northern bits, and I expect to walk only the Alston cobbles, and that just to conserve energy.  It's about 200m long, that's all, then the cobbles stop and you get the climb proper, which is a steady gradient, easy enough to spin up (although from the video I look like I wasn't spinning so much as lurching).

I should add: I think the two steepest gradients from 2013 have been eliminated: that was the 20% dip in the Howardians with the hay bale at the bottom, and the 10% Royston Lane from Cambs to Essex, which after 1300km felt* much steeper than it is.  Plenty of rollers and a few long, draggy climbs oop norf, but nothing warranting thinking much about customising your gearing, IMHO.

* Although I didn't ride up it in 2013: local knowledge and free-route, I took the main road to Saffron Walden in the early hours when the notorious B184 was quiet, which has its own steep hill up past the golf course and then another one out of the town centre before rejoining the route — a much shorter and nicer route in the dark, not least because I got to see Mrs WB and the boyz on the way past our front door, but just as much hard elevation change, I think.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2016, 07:08:39 am »

Did 'em with a 24/28 too, but they were a bit wheelspinny on a trike with a 13" bottom gear ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2016, 08:08:39 am »
I usually have 30x25 as bottom gear for LEL. Got me round well during most editions. Only when I had rear mech problems during LEL '97 I had to walk up a few hills but that was because I could only one cog at that moment.

rob

« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2016, 08:34:47 am »
48*18 last time, which I used for the whole thing.

Walked 1 hill near Castle Howard both times and Alston cobbles both ways.   The cobbles were more for safety than the gradient.

« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2016, 08:38:09 am »

Walked 1 hill near Castle Howard both times and Alston cobbles both ways.   The cobbles were more for safety than the gradient.

I can't see any safety issues with the Alston cobbles, they are a lot easier as most Belgian cobbled hills.

« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2016, 08:50:21 am »
The Northern hills are notable for their length. The stretch from Edinburgh to Langholm can be subject to headwinds, and they make the hills seem even longer, as you might have to pedal downhill.

It's quite handy to have close ratios to vary the cadence, and relieve the knees and achilles. Tiredness often makes riders push too big a gear, and that causes the joint problems.

It's worth visiting the Northern Pennines or Southern Uplands if you don't have much experience of long climbs, Shap is also good training. 

rob

« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2016, 09:03:11 am »

I can't see any safety issues with the Alston cobbles, they are a lot easier as most Belgian cobbled hills.

It was wet coming down and I don't get much practice on cobbles.   I'm sure there's more confident riders than me, but it's the cost of taking a few extra minutes to walk vs crashing and ruining the whole ride.

« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2016, 09:43:57 am »

Not too many recumbents riding fixed  :thumbsup:
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #17 on: 19 October, 2016, 09:45:34 am »
(Am I the only rider who finds a 22X34 lowest gear very valuable and often used?)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #18 on: 19 October, 2016, 09:48:32 am »
Yad Moss, i.e.the Alston crossing of the Pennines, is mostly long shallow drags.  The cobbled section at Alston is the only steep bit, and is short enough that you can walk.  I think I've crossed Yad Moss several times in 39x25 and never felt particularly overgeared. 

« Reply #19 on: 19 October, 2016, 10:41:33 am »
There's another kick out of Alston, going past the school after the cobbles.

« Reply #20 on: 19 October, 2016, 10:44:51 am »

You'll be fine with that.  I'll probably be riding 44-16 to start and flipping to 44-18 for the northern bits

I can't help thinking you'll find 44/18 too low for that terrain - I'd find it too low, and I like lower gears. I'll probably ride the whole thing on 44x17 or 46x18. I've never failed to get up Alston Front Street on that gearing.

PS it is possible to dodge the cobbles entirely, but it's more faff than it's worth.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21 on: 19 October, 2016, 10:50:40 am »
Did you mean the cobbled section up past the Market Cross (going South) ?
https://goo.gl/maps/TnZaxW5g58S2
The cobbles are more of an issue than the gradient IMO.

Use the pavement (as I was advised by a ped in Alston once)  ;)

Going down the cobbles in the wet feels a bit hairy!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22 on: 19 October, 2016, 01:30:52 pm »
(Am I the only rider who finds a 22X34 lowest gear very valuable and often used?)

No.  My Speedmachine has an 20/34 (559 rear wheel), which I found a great boon when the route sheet reads "L @ T and up cliff"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #23 on: 19 October, 2016, 02:06:27 pm »

If I could get a gear that low without comprimising other stuff I'd be happy to have one.
I'm currently running a 50/38/26 up front (an older 5-arm 105 with TA rings) and a 12-30 Campag at the back.   Spinning the 26/30 up steep hills is slower than just about everyone I've ever ridden with, but I've learned it pays dividends in the latter stages of events when I can still use the 50 ring on the flat.

« Reply #24 on: 19 October, 2016, 04:44:51 pm »

Not by a long way............need to lower my current 34 x 34  ;D

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL