Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164576 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5900 on: 11 June, 2013, 03:14:24 pm »
Well it certainly wasn't the best race I've ever done but it was enough and ill take it :) on Friday I didn't think I would be running so I'm just happy with whatever atm!!
Blimey, congratulations.

What did you do, imagine a pheasant was chasing you?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5901 on: 12 June, 2013, 09:56:45 am »
Work wants to pay me to accompany a sponsored LEJOG ride through the south-west region (as the local rep of a national organisation). Relatively easy riding for me (max 72 miles on day three), and will be over four days. "Is that something you'd be interested in?" - is the pope catholic?!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5902 on: 12 June, 2013, 10:31:12 am »
Woh! 2,000 YACFers apply for jobs with GrahamG's employer.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5903 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:39:19 am »
I have just had my F&F back from the powder coaters. Almost all the bits for the project are now in the garage. A mammoth fettling session awaits. :)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5904 on: 13 June, 2013, 12:42:43 pm »
One of my colleagues has a little girl and she has a cat called Cookie. Cookie went missing two weeks ago but he was found last night, alive and well but very hungry and desperate to see his humans. Andy had had a phone call saying someone had seen a cat that might be Cookie so at half eleven last night he went out on his bike to look for him, found him and then had to work out how to get a distressed, yowling, desperate to be fed and cuddled cat back on a bike! When he got him home Cookie stuffed his face and then ran upstairs to find Rebecca, who was overjoyed to be woken by him bouncing on her head.  :D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5905 on: 13 June, 2013, 03:38:26 pm »
Lovely story.  I was tensed, ready for the bit where it all went wrong, but I end up so happy for Rebecca!  Thanks for sharing :)
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5906 on: 13 June, 2013, 05:50:45 pm »
Lovely story.  I was tensed, ready for the bit where it all went wrong,
Did you forget which thread you were in?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #5907 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:52:16 pm »
Just won another 10k tonight  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5908 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:16:39 pm »
Lovely story.  I was tensed, ready for the bit where it all went wrong,
Did you forget which thread you were in?

Yes.  Yes, I did.  But my life experience is that, generally, good news includes a 'but...'
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5909 on: 14 June, 2013, 10:22:29 am »
Just won another 10k tonight  :thumbsup:
That's a lot of money!  ;)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5910 on: 21 June, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
Just been told I can go home at 1200 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

LindaG

« Reply #5911 on: 22 June, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »
My friend gave me a present this morning - a big noisy bell to wear on my belt when I go walking. It's to keep bears away, apparently  :D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5912 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »
My friend gave me a present this morning - a big noisy bell to wear on my belt when I go walking. It's to keep bears away, apparently  :D

Does it work?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5913 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:53:46 pm »

Does it work?
Depends on the bears.

Really.

I've been looking into getting a couple of bear bells for when I ride the Tour Divide, seeing as it passes through some pretty major bear country (the Flathead Valley and northern Montana in particular) and whether they work depends on how much human contact the bears have had. When they tested a bunch of them in the Katmai reserve in Alaska to say the bears were 'uninterested' would be an understatement. There's also the fact that the incessant jingling would probably drive me completely up the wall.

I may sing to them instead, unless that feels too much like ursine about ...

(I'll get me coat)

LindaG

« Reply #5914 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:54:58 pm »

Does it work?

So far, so good.

« Reply #5915 on: 22 June, 2013, 10:42:50 pm »
Isn't there a joke that goes like:

Two hikers are planning to walk through Jellystone or somesuch, and go to a ranger for advice about bears. They say "We've been told we should wear little bells, and cover ourselves with pepper to deter the bears, is that right?"

"Well," says the warder, "It depends if they are black bears or brown bears."

"Oh dear!" said the hikers, "how can we tell which ones are around?"

"Well," says the ranger, "You gotta look for their poo. Black bear poo smells kinda sweet, and has fruit seeds in. Brown bear poo smells of pepper and has little bells in it...."
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5916 on: 23 June, 2013, 09:39:31 am »
Isn't there a joke that goes like:

Two hikers are planning to walk through Jellystone or somesuch, and go to a ranger for advice about bears. They say "We've been told we should wear little bells, and cover ourselves with pepper to deter the bears, is that right?"

"Well," says the warder, "It depends if they are black bears or brown bears."

"Oh dear!" said the hikers, "how can we tell which ones are around?"

"Well," says the ranger, "You gotta look for their poo. Black bear poo smells kinda sweet, and has fruit seeds in. Brown bear poo smells of pepper and has little bells in it...."
http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=11898 - and people say the Americans don't have a sense of humour ;)

LindaG

« Reply #5917 on: 23 June, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »
I lent my mountain bike to a friend's girlfriend so he could take her on a cycling holiday.

They just dropped it off - and told me they're expecting  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hmm.

Anybody want a MTB?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5918 on: 23 June, 2013, 03:19:18 pm »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no!  No!  Just. No! :o
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5919 on: 23 June, 2013, 03:27:32 pm »
They obviously had a good holiday.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LindaG

« Reply #5920 on: 23 June, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no!  No!  Just. No! :o

:D ;D ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5921 on: 23 June, 2013, 03:43:11 pm »
:-*
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5922 on: 25 June, 2013, 09:01:52 am »
Last night (well early hours of this morning UK time) The Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup!!!

YAY!

Fair made my morning, that did :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5923 on: 25 June, 2013, 10:06:28 am »
Oooh nice story about the found kitty  :thumbsup:

And winning £10K's pretty awesome too.  ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5924 on: 25 June, 2013, 12:07:40 pm »
The brakes on the Green Machine no longer squeal now that I've changed the rotors and bedded them in1  :thumbsup:

1 - this entailed riding up and down the street multiple times, accelerating to around 15-20mph (no mean feat in itself on an off-road geared singlespeed on a flat road) and then performing 'controlled stops'2. Got some odd looks from the neighbours ...
2 - which, in the initial stages, usually entails grabbing a handful of lever and praying to whatever deities you believe in that you'll stop.

EDIT: just got an email from the LBS - n+1's frame and sundry other bits have arrived  :thumbsup: