Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164482 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6375 on: 19 November, 2014, 10:46:12 pm »
Despite being really rather slack about riding to work, today my folding bike (and usual commuter) finished paying for itself in saved bus fares.  :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6376 on: 19 November, 2014, 10:54:14 pm »
Great results from the student project today. Dancing down the corridor and drinking the pub dry type good.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6377 on: 20 November, 2014, 03:12:32 pm »
Despite being really rather slack about riding to work, today my folding bike (and usual commuter) finished paying for itself in saved bus fares.  :thumbsup:
This sort of news makes me very happy. :D :thumbsup:
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6378 on: 21 November, 2014, 02:51:01 pm »
Anyone walking down the corridor past my GP's door today would have been surprised by the cackle filtering through it as we went over the letter he had had from my cardiologist. "Patient should moderate effort when recovering from effort". Er...

Apart from that I had a perfect stress ECG up to 108% of theoretical max heart rate, plus recovery, and have a nice new medical certificate to back up my FFCT insurance and the doc's strong recommendation to keep riding Audax.

Whee. Doggie.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6379 on: 01 January, 2015, 04:32:15 pm »
I disrobed my old black hybrid today and removed various extraneous parts from it prior to sale: babbage engine, gong, pump. It's been prior to sale since September and I think I'm emotionally ready to part with it now!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6380 on: 04 January, 2015, 03:58:15 pm »
Great results from the student project today. Dancing down the corridor and drinking the pub dry type good.

I thought you were a lecturer (actually I assumed professor), am I wrong?

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6381 on: 04 January, 2015, 04:00:06 pm »
A couple of colleagues and I have a book deal.  All chapters had to be completed and ready for editing by 31st Dec.  all chapters complete, early signs are good  ;D

David Martin

« Reply #6382 on: 04 January, 2015, 04:16:45 pm »

I thought you were a lecturer (actually I assumed professor), am I wrong?

A mere lecturer I'm afraid.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6383 on: 30 January, 2015, 05:11:31 pm »
This morning, I had half an hour to kill in town. Thought it would be a good idea to get a coffee cup of tea and remembered I had a card for a free drink from a "bike cafe" so headed there. Then I realised their workshop does, er, workshops of the training variety, and I've had the components of a wheel waiting to be built for embarrassingly long, so popped up to ask if they did such a thing. Turns out they do, at the end of Feb, and the guy who works there is actually a wheel builder first and foremost!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6384 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:26:19 pm »
I've just had a long (59m 43s) conversation with my younger son who tells me that not only does his partner submit her PhD thesis this evening, but also that his part-time casual work, which has interested him greatly, has become full-time and permanent. His salary means that he will, for the first time, pay income tax as PAYE and that he will probably earn enough in the current financial year to pave to pay some.

He really enjoys his job as well, which is good, and his commute is a walk short enough that the cup of tea he takes with him is still hot when he arrives. If he were to work in London his season ticked would be over £5k a year and he would spend about 4 hours a day on a train. He gets the pleasure of living in a olde worlde village with good facilities and no commuting costs.

My younger son has always been the jammiest bugger around.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6385 on: 03 February, 2015, 07:06:59 pm »
Whilst teaching chess this afternoon, one of my students said something which rather touched me.

"Do you know, you've got a really lovely voice - quiet, deep and calming."

I don't know if this is my prejudice, but it seems to me that that's not the sort of thing that teachers are normally told by 14 or 15 year old boys.

Very flattered, anyway. I've not really liked my voice when I've heard it recorded.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6386 on: 03 February, 2015, 08:17:15 pm »
Ooh it looks like one of the local clubs now has Saturday rides as well as Sunday ones - I could actually ride some of those :)

Now I just need to get over the worry I'd be far to slow for them :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6387 on: 03 February, 2015, 08:18:56 pm »
Nobody likes the sound of their own voice while recorded cos it sounds very different outside of your head than inside. 

« Reply #6388 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:46:31 am »
Whilst teaching chess this afternoon, one of my students said something which rather touched me.

I don't know if this is my prejudice, but it seems to me that that's not the sort of thing that teachers are normally told by 14 or 15 year old boys.

Very flattered, anyway. I've not really liked my voice when I've heard it recorded.
Touching  . . . and it could be he has a crush on you.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6389 on: 12 February, 2015, 08:55:57 am »
Management have signed off my request for 4 weeks leave in June  :thumbsup:   To the Map Cave, Fatman!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6390 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:42:53 am »
This sounds like an epic Andrew where are you off to?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6391 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:57:03 am »
This sounds like an epic Andrew where are you off to?

I'm not sure yet Bob.  I don't feel like a long haul flight, so somewhere fairly local.  Possibly St Malo to Nice http://franceenvelo.cc/route/  or Roscoff to Santander ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6392 on: 13 February, 2015, 01:27:52 pm »

This is all true. I wonder if singing is part of, rather than a result of, it?

(Please note, I do not have a crush on you!)

« Reply #6393 on: 13 February, 2015, 04:21:17 pm »
After a couple of weeks of climbing up the wall my hospital test results have come back clear, where did I put that corkscrew  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6394 on: 14 February, 2015, 12:54:37 pm »
Today, the Church celebrates the commemoration of Saints Cyril and Methodius.  To celebrate this I may have some very good chocolate.  Or a flapjack.

They were missionaries to the Slavs, and given the Gift of Tongues. 

Oh, my.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6395 on: 14 February, 2015, 01:25:36 pm »
After a couple of weeks of climbing up the wall my hospital test results have come back clear, where did I put that corkscrew  ;D

That sounds like really good news. Hope you enjoyed the drink.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6396 on: 14 February, 2015, 02:36:08 pm »
Yes thank you, I wondered this morning why I had a trace of a head ache, checked the label, OMG 14%   :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

David Martin

« Reply #6397 on: 14 February, 2015, 02:36:37 pm »
Today, the Church celebrates the commemoration of Saints Cyril and Methodius.  To celebrate this I may have some very good chocolate.  Or a flapjack.

They were missionaries to the Slavs, and given the Gift of Tongues. 

Oh, my.

I commend you on your dedication and would urge you to continue in such commemorations…
(Now who is the patron St of chocolate?)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6398 on: 14 February, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »
Closest I could find was for Confectioners, viz. Honorius of Amiens, Joseph, Lawrence and Macarius the Younger.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #6399 on: 15 February, 2015, 12:47:45 pm »
The boy done it! He finally managed to ride his bike! Relief!