Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164518 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6500 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »
The Boy has a job.  I am Very Pleased.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6501 on: 31 July, 2015, 11:47:09 am »
Woohoo!  :D :thumbsup:

What are you studying?

Nutrition and Health
Good luck with it :)
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6502 on: 04 August, 2015, 01:31:39 pm »
I checked my bank account last night and had a few hundred more in there what I was expecting.  I had received a payment of just over £300 from a source I didn't recognise and wasn't expecting. 

I'm always a little wary of these sort of transactions and couldn't get enough detail from the online banking data to know whether it was kosher or not.  I was in a meeting in Southend all morning, so thought I'd give the bank a ring when I got home at lunchtime to see if they could tell me where the money had come from.

I came through the front door to find not only Jack waiting to greet me with great delight... but a letter from the bank.

As part of their PPI review, Nat West are reviewing all loans that had PPI on them - whether a refund had been asked for or not.  It turns out that they had looked at a loan I had in 2005, which I had repaid but they'd take an additional payment by mistake.

So they've refunded me the overpayment - plus 10 years interest at 8% p.a.   :thumbsup:  Even after the taxperson has had their cut, the repayment is almost double the overpayment.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6503 on: 04 August, 2015, 01:39:59 pm »
Oh nice! Reminds me that with compound interest, principal approximately doubles at 7% after 10 years or at 10% after 7 years.

« Reply #6504 on: 04 August, 2015, 03:43:02 pm »
Achilles tendon injury (suffered on 17 Jun) is healing up ok.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #6505 on: 12 August, 2015, 04:51:50 pm »
Back on a bike 11 weeks after my accident, woo!!!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6506 on: 19 August, 2015, 07:28:57 pm »
Just received a text.  (Sad bastards still thinking about work at this time of night).
My request for half day flex leave tomorrow agreed.
1:30 train back to Waleslandshire then.
 :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

menthel

« Reply #6507 on: 24 August, 2015, 09:18:27 am »
Back on a bike 11 weeks after my accident, woo!!!

Back to work today! (Is this good news? Probably! :))

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6508 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:17:25 am »
Hope it goes well. From my experiance last year, prepare to be more tired than normal at the end of the day. Then again it sounds like you've had a more sensible length of time off. :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

menthel

« Reply #6509 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:23:19 am »
Hope it goes well. From my experiance last year, prepare to be more tired than normal at the end of the day. Then again it sounds like you've had a more sensible length of time off. :)

Thanks! Planning to reintroduce work slowly and steadily at a pace my brain can take. It helps having a friend who is a neuro rehab consultant!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #6510 on: 26 August, 2015, 03:33:30 pm »
I've just taken delivery of "The Shepherd's Crown" by the late Terry Pratchett.

It's come just in time - I can take it on my holibobs with me tomorrow :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6511 on: 27 August, 2015, 06:59:32 am »
I took a colleague out on his new bike the other day, just to break his duck and show him some of the nice roads round Darlo (well, the few I know, anyway).  Apparently he's been gushing about how brilliant it was, and planning loads of rides on Mapmyride, it sounds like he might be getting the bug!

So pleased about that. 
Milk please, no sugar.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6512 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:25:38 am »
Enabler.
Getting there...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6513 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:29:30 am »
 :P
Milk please, no sugar.

fuzzy

« Reply #6514 on: 27 August, 2015, 01:46:07 pm »
I took a colleague out on his new bike the other day, just to break his duck and show him some of the nice roads round Darlo (well, the few I know, anyway).  Apparently he's been gushing about how brilliant it was, and planning loads of rides on Mapmyride, it sounds like he might be getting the bug!

So pleased about that.
Enabler.
?

Troublemaker more like ;)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6515 on: 29 August, 2015, 10:11:51 am »
Inspired by the grumbles about clocks.

I'm sitting in my lounge listening to the slow and reasuring Tock Tock Tick Tock* coming from the works of a two hundred year old grandfather clock.
The clock came into our family when my father spotted the the owner dragging the worm ridden case down the road some time in the 1960s.
The clock ticked away my childhood in the basement room where I used to assemble Airfix kits or Meccano models.
It came into my possession when my parents downsized their house.
It used to gain 5 minutes every couple of days, but after a tweak to the pendulum it is about the most accurate clock in the house.
I keep thinking about finding or making a new case, but I don't think it would be the same.

Thank you for listening, sorry to have wasted your time.

* It uses a random selection of Tick and Tock because the escapement was made by a man with a file in Dursley.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6516 on: 02 September, 2015, 03:01:29 am »
I was in Waterstones yesterday and handed over my fully-stamped brevet card to get ten quid off my purchases.  Nice Man at the counter gave me a replacement brevet card with three of the ten boxes already stamped "because you come in here a lot and I don't want to make you wait while I go and look for the new ones" :thumbsup:

Which made up for the thousand-mile queue at the bank, Boots not being able to supply all my drugs and forgetting to go to Poundland for fresh supplies of cheap-ass lighters.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #6517 on: 02 September, 2015, 08:58:39 am »

Mr L, does one take it that you will be lighting your farts whilst on your holibobs?  ("fresh supplies of cheap-ass lighters").  if you've never tried it, don't bother, the results can be a little unpredictable  ;D
Wombat

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6518 on: 02 September, 2015, 02:34:05 pm »
The time between bands at a Donington Festival some time in the 1980s was livened up by Dave Pixton's mate, whose name I mercifully forget, rolling around on the floor applying a lighter to his nether regions.  Le Petomane he was not and the hoped-for foot-long gouts of flame never materialised.  We had more BEER and wondered, in the absence of Anvil from that year's lineup, who to throw the empties at.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6519 on: 21 September, 2015, 03:45:37 pm »
Son set off for Edinburgh last weekend with the news that his M.Sc.has been graded as Distinction.He was not expecting this because the data that he was analysing for his dissertation was pretty crap but he obviously got the better of it . :thumbsup:
That puts him on a par with his big sister. I am in awe of their brainpower.

« Reply #6520 on: 28 September, 2015, 06:50:41 pm »
I got promoted to Associate Professor today.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6521 on: 28 September, 2015, 08:16:16 pm »
Congrats!

fuzzy

« Reply #6522 on: 29 September, 2015, 11:15:43 am »

To an Uneducated Oik like me, that sounds to be a Good Thing so cop for one of these  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6523 on: 29 September, 2015, 03:01:08 pm »

Congrats. Does this mean you have to start mumbling and wearing odd clothes now?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6524 on: 01 October, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »

Congratumalations! :D

Do you cease being DrMekon, and become ProfMekon, or AssProfMekon (no, probably best not that one).?
Getting there...