Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164722 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2050 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:00:23 am »
Our offer on the Great Shelford house has been accepted!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now all I need is for the interview tomorrow to go well and me to get the job, and life will be dandy!

Excellent!!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2051 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:02:16 am »
Our offer on the Great Shelford house has been accepted!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now all I need is for the interview tomorrow to go well and me to get the job, and life will be dandy!

Excellent!!

Things are moving apace.  With luck we'll be in by the beginning of May and then I can get to work on the garden...  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2052 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:04:47 am »
Roadside: your speed: 28 mph. Hell, I'd have pushed harder and broke 30 if I'd known.
Tomorrow your ass is mine (subject to wind conditions, etc).  :demon:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #2053 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:10:38 am »
Our offer on the Great Shelford house has been accepted!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great Shelford to Addenbrookes is easy thanks to the cyclepath along the side of railway (it starts just over the railway tracks on Granham's Road) and means you can avoid the racetrack that is the A1307. Of course, Granham's Road, Hinton Way or Haverhill Road gives the opportunity of 'hill' training (for what passes as hills in Cambridgeshire).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Regulator

« Reply #2054 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:14:32 am »
Our offer on the Great Shelford house has been accepted!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great Shelford to Addenbrookes is easy thanks to the cyclepath along the side of railway (it starts just over the railway tracks on Granham's Road) and means you can avoid the racetrack that is the A1307. Of course, Granham's Road, Hinton Way or Haverhill Road gives the opportunity of 'hill' training (for what passes as hills in Cambridgeshire).

The DNA path is one reason Jon was so keen on Great Shelford.

If I don't get the job that I interviewed for yesterday, my commute will be down Haverhill Road and over the hills to Fulbourn each day...  :-\

...or I might go down the DNA path and take the long way down Cherry Hinton Road.  :-[

If I get the job then my commute will be down the DNA path and up Hills Road to by the Government Offices. The only up'n'down bit will be the Hills Road bridge  ;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2055 on: 11 March, 2010, 01:44:33 pm »
Left my bike in the middle of canary wharf, locked to a bike stand but left all my keys in the lock. Keys and bike were still there when I returned an hour later!

« Reply #2056 on: 11 March, 2010, 02:20:22 pm »
I've pressed submit.
Now I can get on with the rest of the week's work.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2057 on: 11 March, 2010, 02:28:32 pm »
I found a ring.  And returned it to the owner.  She gave me a kiss.
Getting there...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2058 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:54:31 pm »
I managed the second ride in four months yesterday and, feel pain today, I have remembered and recovered what I love about cycling.  Truly a life changing day!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2059 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:07:05 pm »
That's good.  Hope the pain subsides before the good feeling does.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2060 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:08:59 am »
I lost a long-running £50 bet yesterday!  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2061 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:09:40 am »
That's good news?  I'll take your word for it. :)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2062 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:15:36 am »
Good news indeed.

When Dez was languishing as a dialysis patient and his weight was about 17 stone, this was about the same time that I decided that my 19.5 stone was rather too much. We entered into a bet over who would get to 14 stone first.

It's taken about 6 years, but yesterday Dez weighed in at 13st 12lb and he looks like a perfectly healthy almost-31-year-old. You wouldn't know that he takes about 10000 tablets a year - at least, he calculated that that was the 2008 figure. He may be on fewer tablets now, I don't know, but it still runs into the thousands annually.

I was 16st 12lb this morning. I was lighter about 18 months ago, but only by a few pounds.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2063 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:20:48 am »
I suspected it might be something like that.  Well done to Dez.
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2064 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:21:01 am »
Good news indeed.

When Dez was languishing as a dialysis patient and his weight was about 17 stone, this was about the same time that I decided that my 19.5 stone was rather too much. We entered into a bet over who would get to 14 stone first.

It's taken about 6 years, but yesterday Dez weighed in at 13st 12lb and he looks like a perfectly healthy almost-31-year-old. You wouldn't know that he takes about 10000 tablets a year - at least, he calculated that that was the 2008 figure. He may be on fewer tablets now, I don't know, but it still runs into the thousands annually.

I was 16st 12lb this morning. I was lighter about 18 months ago, but only by a few pounds.

That's fabulous news.  A bet well lost  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2065 on: 12 March, 2010, 11:22:26 am »
My good news is that tonight I'll be in a tent with the delightful Butterfly.  Life is good. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #2066 on: 12 March, 2010, 02:13:58 pm »
I haz sofas, and am indeed sitting on one of them. Bastard to put together mind, and there is a chip out of one of the feet that I am not too happy about but I haz sofas.

Congratulations to Dez though.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2067 on: 12 March, 2010, 02:15:32 pm »
You can't see the feet of a sofa you're sitting, lying or sprawling on ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #2068 on: 12 March, 2010, 02:16:08 pm »
You can't see the feet of a sofa you're sitting, lying or sprawling on ;)

True

gordon taylor

« Reply #2069 on: 12 March, 2010, 03:03:30 pm »
Nine years ago, my 15-year-old daughter was a wild, self-destructive, rebellious drop-out. She has a few GCSEs but no A levels.... but eventually scraped into Uni via a foundation year.

She was accepted onto a (paid) Biochemistry PhD course this week.

Moral: never give up on them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2070 on: 12 March, 2010, 03:21:13 pm »
Very good news, and the best of luck to her.

Wise words.
Getting there...

« Reply #2071 on: 12 March, 2010, 03:35:27 pm »
I haz new job. :)
I actually had 2 offers, so I had to turn 1 down.  Which was kinda wierd.

Even better news - I can cycle to this one as it's a journey of 5 (as opposed to 38) miles. :)  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2072 on: 12 March, 2010, 03:40:49 pm »
Cool.  Good position to be in these days.

That five miles can be extended to a loop whenever you want to, you know ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #2073 on: 12 March, 2010, 04:55:06 pm »
Nine years ago, my 15-year-old daughter was a wild, self-destructive, drop out. She has a few GSCEs but no A levels.... but eventually scraped into Uni via a foundation year.

She's was accepted onto a (paid) Biochemistry PhD course this week.

As the father of a 16 yr old who is talking about quitting his A levels, I shall take heart from this one. Thanks

Regulator

« Reply #2074 on: 12 March, 2010, 04:56:48 pm »
Nine years ago, my 15-year-old daughter was a wild, self-destructive, drop out. She has a few GSCEs but no A levels.... but eventually scraped into Uni via a foundation year.

She's was accepted onto a (paid) Biochemistry PhD course this week.

As the father of a 16 yr old who is talking about quitting his A levels, I shall take heart from this one. Thanks

I didn't do A levels and look how I turned out!   ;)

*Waits for Adrian to dissolve into a gibbering mess thinking about such a scenario*

Green Party Councillor