Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164401 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3800 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:15:47 pm »
Great stuff her_welshness. :) :thumbsup:

The new motherboard for our dead server has arrived, as has 8G of RAM for it.  The CPU is, so far, nowhere to be seen.  I'm hoping that it's in the post and will turn up tomorrow.

On the plus side, the PCI-X slots are as I expected, rather than the picture on the website which seemed to show bog standard PCI slots, so the controller card should fit in, and work, perfectly (Kernel code permitting).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3801 on: 03 May, 2011, 11:30:25 pm »
Life is very strange  ;D.

I just heard back from my recruitment agency (re: my job interview last week) and they have decided to give the job to someone else. However, they liked me and want to offer me another librarian role, which is full-time hours (as opposed to the part-time I'd just applied for). It's a 5 month contract but its a start  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
Congratulations!

« Reply #3802 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:27:59 pm »
Well fuck me with an ice lolly.

I've been officially unemployed for (counts) 3 days, of which two were non-working, I've just been invited for an interview on Friday, for the only job I've actually applied for.
I could end up getting a job before I actually get to the job centre (Friday afternoon).
I wonder if I can still get this afternoon's dentistry for free?

« Reply #3803 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »

I've been officially unemployed for (counts) 3 days, of which two were non-working, I've just been invited for an interview on Friday, for the only job I've actually applied for.
I could end up getting a job before I actually get to the job centre (Friday afternoon).

:thumbsup: result! I don't see why you shouldn't get the dentistry free if you're currently unemployed, even if that might be about to change!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3804 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:36:45 pm »
Do I have to?

\o/

Well, right now you're unemployed.... maybe?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3805 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:40:42 pm »
Fab.  Not the lolly, the news.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3806 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:49:56 pm »
It's Easter Sunday so I'm drinking coffee again! Opened the packet of Lewis and Cooper's house blend I've been saving and have indulged, several times. What's more, it's nearly a year till Lent comes round again and I'm told what I'm giving up.

Lent ends on Palm Sunday. You're a week late.

Err... Lent runs from Ash Wednesday until Holy Thursday.  Strictly speaking, Lenten observances should be maintained for the first two days of the Triduum, until 6.00p.m. on Easter Saturday, which is when Easter Sunday begins (the church day runs from sunset to sunset).

Yep, that is how I observe it  O:-)

Strictly speaking Lent doesn't include the Sundays though.. (40 days from ash wednesday to easter saturday)

To be uber pedantic - yes Lent does include Sundays.

In the Catholic Church calendar Lent lasts 44 days, beginning on Ash Wednesday and ending before the Paschal Triduum begins with the evening masses on Maundy/Holy Thursday (which is actually the start of Good Friday).

The traditional period of Lenten fasting, abstinence and penance is observed for 40 days, starting on Ash Wednesday and going through until the Easter Vigil, but excluding the Sundays.

Whilst the Sundays are excluded from the Lenten fasting and abstinence rules, they are still part of the Catholic* liturgical Lenten calendar.

*And also included in the Orthodox and some Protestant liturgical Lenten calendars.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3807 on: 04 May, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »
In the Christian East*, Lent (the Great Fast) is 40 days — Sundays are included in the count.  Lent begins 7 weeks before Easter (on a Monday) and ends the eve of Lazarus Saturday (the day before Palm Sunday).  Fasting, etc. continues through the the following week (Passion/Holy/Great Week), but liturgically speaking is is separate from Lent.

*Eastern Orthodox and Catholic, not sure about the Oriental Churches.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3808 on: 04 May, 2011, 01:46:36 pm »

Good luck boab  :-*

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3809 on: 04 May, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »

You'd find it unsatisfying.Don't ask how I know this ;)

Good luck with the job interview :thumbsup:

« Reply #3810 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:51:00 pm »
My son anounced this evening he is saving up to buy a 2nd hand racing bike from the recycling project in Cheddar.
I caught him taking the mudguards off his Kona Smoke hybrid today after school 'because it looks cool'. I have warned him that the muddy splat up his back he will acquire in the rain won't be so cool  ;D

Apparently there was a nice Argos at the project last week for £200 he had his eye on. I told him if he sees something that nice to gimme a shout as I may help him pay for it. I also suggested he might want to come with me on a CTC ride and he agreed  :o
I might have a 17 year old cycling convert on my hands  ;D

« Reply #3811 on: 04 May, 2011, 10:03:06 pm »
Good, just the right age for him to be your pack horse on tours.  :thumbsup: Else you may have to work hard to keep up.

My good news, I am off to the Lake district tomorrow for 6 days in Coniston with my bike. Wrynose, Hardnott etc. here I come. Plus this is the first year with $NEWBIKE so I shall see if I beat 50mph on the decent near Gawthwaite. I have seen 79.5kph twice there.  :demon:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3812 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:25:38 pm »
Managed to cope with a .tar.gz file, which allowed me to install driver for my wireless printer.  The best bit?  It all works perfectly!

I've also taken the first steps in building a server — installed Ubuntu 11.04 Server Edition.  Next weekend's plan is to learn how to make it do what I want it to do.

I'll either be posting here or in the rant thread...

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3813 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:41:55 pm »
I am Happy

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3814 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:47:45 pm »
That is Good.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3815 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:32:58 pm »
I have been given a bike almost identical to one I bought myself when I was 17. Except that this one is rather too large for me, so I rode it home "dancing" all the way, even though it was downhill. And now I've put the saddle down too far and my knees hurt. But it's still good.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3816 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »
"As a gesture of goodwill, I've added your BA Miles back to your account"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3817 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:44:00 pm »
Got Barbara the new style seat cover for her trike today, good news ? yep tis because Kevin (he of D-tek) achieved the fastest ever[u[ delivery time, I put the phone down after speaking to him at 0900, took ourselves off to the local pub late afternoon, getting home about 20-00 hrs and there it was in all its bootifulness.
        So it wasn't thunder I heard after all, twas Kevin breaking the sound barrier  ;D
  PS: I haven't got the hang of this underlining thing  :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3818 on: 10 May, 2011, 05:48:26 pm »
We have Green & Blacks mini eggs :thumbsup:

« Reply #3819 on: 10 May, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »
I won the local ale house's Easter egg competition. Apparently there's a ginormous egg waiting for me to collect.

Shame they didn't tell me sooner, but hey ho.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3820 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:32:06 pm »
Got Barbara the new style seat cover for her trike today, good news ? yep tis because Kevin (he of D-tek) achieved the fastest ever delivery time, I put the phone down after speaking to him at 0900, took ourselves off to the local pub late afternoon, getting home about 20-00 hrs and there it was in all its bootifulness.

Ah, that's what he's been up to.  As opposed to, say, getting back to barakta...

« Reply #3821 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:57:31 pm »
I have a second interview.

« Reply #3822 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »

« Reply #3823 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:07:02 pm »
I have a second interview.

Yay! Good stuff. ;D :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke