Author Topic: Timer switches  (Read 3103 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Timer switches
« on: 28 February, 2021, 03:06:33 pm »
I would like to get some for peace of mind when out and about.

Any reason why I should not just get some cheap mechanical ones ?

Thanks

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Timer switches
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2021, 03:59:40 pm »
Setup? The only thing you really gain from fancy time switches is ease of set up and for really fancy ones, remote setup and switching. If you can be bothered to do the manual set up of each switch each time you want to use them, there’s no reason not to go for them.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

velosam

« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:10:08 pm »
Great thankd. I thought it may may a difference to be able to set different times on different days.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:21:27 pm »
Great thankd. I thought it may may a difference to be able to set different times on different days.

What are you going to use them for? And what do you hope to achieve?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:24:30 pm »
Some of those cheap mechanical timers can be a bit noisy.

« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:38:34 pm »
Personally I'd go with something like this (I've got 3 similar ones myself) - it's not much more expensive than the cheap mechanical timers but far more versatile

Masterplug electronic timer

You can program it to come on at multiple times during the night for different periods and for different periods each night if you're wanting to give the impression that there is someone in the house. Far more versatile than the mechanical timers.

There are also random and countdown features

One of the things I hated about the mechanical timers I've used in the past was the fact that you could here it ticking away all the time - some of the reviews also mention this so I'm not alone on this.

Some of those cheap mechanical timers can be a bit noisy.

someone elso who as found this to be the case

There are loads of reviews and questions and of course the published specification that will help you decide if the above timer is for you.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:56:30 pm »
I bought a couple of TP Link Kasa Smart Plugs recently. You can set all sort of timers on these, you can also have the timer linked to sunrise and sunset, and loads of other things I've not used yet.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:59:12 pm »
We use the TP Link Tapo plugs. Dead easy to set up, been very reliable, can even use Alexa to override them should you want to.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2021, 05:58:21 pm »
I had a pile of digital timers. They were fine, but you have to faff about changing the times every now and again and, of course, the clock change. Anyway, I bought some TP Tapo plugs too and they've been fine (very occasionally, Alexa seems to forget one of them, though it's still there on the Tapo app and wifi and works as expects, so I assume an Alexa issue – the usual turning it on and off restores Alexa's memory).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2021, 06:05:26 pm »
1 - Setup
2 - BST vs GMT
3 - Power cuts
4 - Silly people switching them off at the wall
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Timer switchese
« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2021, 06:41:37 pm »
IoT devices such as anything interconnected to Alexa/Siria/others are of course dependent on an internet connection for the clever stuff and also store your data on other peoples computers. This potentially allows other people to work out when you are away, or just take control of your house for the lols. Your own levels of paranoia will guide you when deciding whether this is a good idea or not, but we do know that corporate internet connected organisations do not have the best track record in caring about your data.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:03:27 pm »
The thing is that no one actually ever does that. Because unless you're planning to rob a bazillionaire in some Ocean's whatever style heist, the average burglar just picks a house that looks empty that they reckon they get into quickly without being seen.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Timer switchese
« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:13:18 pm »
IoT devices such as anything interconnected to Alexa/Siria/others are of course dependent on an internet connection for the clever stuff and also store your data on other peoples computers.

There are exceptions.  I was pleasantly surprised by these the other day: https://shelly.cloud/products/shelly-1-smart-home-automation-relay/

(They can do the usual Internet-of-Shit stuff, but you can control them locally using standard protocols.  And if that isn't enough, it's just an ESP8266 with the serial pins exposed so you can write your own firmware to do whatever.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:16:21 pm »
The thing is that no one actually ever does that. Because unless you're planning to rob a bazillionaire in some Ocean's whatever style heist, the average burglar just picks a house that looks empty that they reckon they get into quickly without being seen.

This is true, but the taking control of your house for lols and intimidation option is still popular enough to be a problem.

Obviously the biggest targeted threat is the person who set the kit up in the first place, after you have an acrimonious relationship breakup with them.  Otherwise, it's just the script kiddies.

More boringly, the threat of the Internet-of-Shit company ceasing to provide their cloud service at some point in future is pretty much certain.  They're gambling on you having replaced your gadget by the time it happens, like a good consumer.  Open standards and stand-alone operation mitigate against this, as well as being good security.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14 on: 28 February, 2021, 08:46:19 pm »
The real problem with Internet of Shit stuff isn’t here yet, other than the stuff highlighted by Kim. At some point in the not to distant future there will be enough people using this stuff to make it worthwhile for someone to bother with attacking the servers or compromising a DBA. It won’t be a local ne’er do well, it’ll be either organised crime or an enterprising script kiddie. They’ll then sell the information to the local ndw for ease of thievery. Well then enter a period of arms race while the data collators pretend to care and organised crime try to gain access.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #15 on: 01 March, 2021, 12:19:07 am »
If organised criminals want to turn my coffee machine on and off.... have at it. I'm fairly certain there are no monetisation opportunities in malicious coffee machine hacking.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 01 March, 2021, 01:05:47 am »
First they came for the smart coffee makers
But I didn’t own a smart coffee maker
And so I did nothing

Next they came for the Bluetooth-enabled vacuum cleaners
But I didn’t own a Bluetooth-enabled vacuum cleaner
And so I did nothing

Then they came for the 'net-savvy toothbrushes
But I've got dentures
And so I did nothing

Then they came for colossal bellend Piers “Morgan” Moron
I laughed

[“You're fired!” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #17 on: 01 March, 2021, 09:27:16 am »

This is true, but the taking control of your house for lols and intimidation option is still popular enough to be a problem.

Yeah, but this is just sloppy passwords, not people hacking big providers and peering through your cameras to see you're not home. Which doesn't happen and probably won't because the people that rob houses are generally not sophisticated criminals but people whose life planning rarely extends beyond obtaining their next fix.

velosam

« Reply #18 on: 01 March, 2021, 09:31:59 am »
It's basically for security and they would not really be on unless I was out of the house.

Having it on and off at different times would help but its really just a deterrent. It's not that I have things of value, more the hassle factor of being broken into.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: 01 March, 2021, 09:39:28 am »
1 - Setup
2 - BST vs GMT
3 - Power cuts
4 - Silly people switching them off at the wall
5 - Not random like IoT can be
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #20 on: 01 March, 2021, 09:48:07 am »
The Tapo things just work on wifi, they don't need the internet. Cost about £8 each.

I think the digital timers were about the same for a three-pack from Sainsbury's some years ago.

Having lights come on and off while you are out are, I think, discouraging for miscreants. It's easy (or was pre-plague times) to wander around here in the early evenings and tell which houses are likely empty (no cars outside, lights off, curtains open, that kind of thing). The majority of burglars are opportunists.

velosam

« Reply #21 on: 01 March, 2021, 08:20:09 pm »
Shame I can't close the curtains electronically

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22 on: 01 March, 2021, 08:28:18 pm »
Shame I can't close the curtains electronically

Oh, you most certainly can!
Electrically operated curtain rails have been A Thing for ages, and they are now part of the IoS.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #23 on: 01 March, 2021, 08:30:54 pm »
This curtain closer looks quite neat. Can be scheduled, or a built in light sensor, or controlled by Alexa/Google Home etc. https://www.switch-bot.com/
An interesting video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N8-4xLqwKw

« Reply #24 on: 01 March, 2021, 08:37:17 pm »
An interesting video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N8-4xLqwKw

Blimey, SHOUTY YOUTUBE C*** health warning needed. He's the ever soothing Techmoan on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLPNFNeCsrU