Author Topic: VE 75  (Read 9525 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: VE 75
« Reply #25 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:18:51 pm »
I spent 22 years in the services. We remember our dead (and those of all nations in war) on Remembrance Day. That's enough. There is no justification that I can see to celebrate victory over Germany 75 years ago. Yes, it was a Good Thing that it happened, and it would have been incredibly important to people all over Europe at the time, and we must ensure we don't forget the horrors of those times, but 'celebrations' in 2020? Why, FFS? I will not be participating.

« Reply #26 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:29:42 pm »
I respect the dead but I don’t believe in the glorification of war. I had 6 years experience of a nasty little bush war. Tomorrow is being used by the media and politicians for their own clandestine purposes. I’m going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #27 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:41:31 pm »
I'll be out on my bike tomorrow morning.  If challenged, unlikely though that is, my response will be:  ok, how many relatives' war graves, battlefield memorials for I and II, Last Posts at Menen Gate, et al have you visited and paid your respects at then?

« Reply #28 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:50:53 pm »
I find it bizarre that the further we get from the horrors of war the more we want to wallow in it. 

I don't blame the old boys who get wheeled out to enjoy their moment in the spotlight, good for them and I hope they are still remembered when the circus has moved on.

In 2016* we completed publication of my father's account of his war and added as much as we knew about mother's.  Both were committed to a united Europe and I am glad this country only came to its current state when they were no longer around to have to witness it.

* not knowing the referendum result
Move Faster and Bake Things

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:56:05 pm »
As far as I am aware nothing will happen where we are.  :thumbsup:
Also, I've only just discovered that it's a bank holiday.  I'm not sure Mrs B knows either.  She hasn't mentioned it, so I haven't either.  Looking forward to her logging on to her work laptop and getting all grumpy because no one's around.  :demon:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #30 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:03:10 pm »
I know that everyone could do with a lift just now, but all this fuss that is being made about tomorrow feels a bit to jingoistic to me and I shall be hiding in my back garden once I’ve cut the grass in the front.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #31 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:04:55 pm »
It's a complete non event up here as far as I'm aware.
The same hereabouts, thankfully.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:05:48 pm »
Coincidentally but related, the NHS clapping has just happened. It sounded rather subdued and short today.

Tomorrow, I'll be working. I might go for a run later. As far as I'm aware, no tea or singing has been organised here and I've not noticed any bunting.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #33 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:11:49 pm »
I didn't really know it was the 75th anniversary. I'm not really sure why we are 'celebrating' it. I'm respectful of the sacrifice and glad we won, I don't think anyone is going to argue that Hitler and his pals were anything but thoroughly bad eggs (Trump probably reckons there were good people on both sides). That said, I was born many, many years after and no one in my family fought in the war (my grandparents were around, but since they were all miners, the closest they came was my gran, who made bullets in Player's cigarette factory, bullets being a faster-format cigarette when it came to death). Oh and the Luftwaffe tried to bomb my gran. Marked for death, she was. Or a lost bomber was dumping its spodeload. Unless a field in the East Midlands was a strategic target. Let's make some holes in fields, Adolf, they'll capitulate then.

That said, I'm minded it's not a bad thing if it gives a buzz of recognition to any of the old folks who did make the sacrifice. I can't be bothered with jingoistic nonsense though.

Ben T

« Reply #34 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:42:14 pm »
Our neighbours have got flags up, at least one with spitfires on.

I think a lot of people don't understand the difference between this and the Thursday night clapping.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:50:47 pm »
I do remember VE50, as nobody dreamed of calling it at the time. I don't recall a great deal about except that the pubs were open.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #36 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:10:31 pm »
I remember D-Day 40 ::-)

I'm uncomfortable with the bank holiday TBH.

1.The Tories have always hated the May Day BH, because it's about workers' rights

2. In this jingoistic Brexit climate it will be used as another reason to tell everyone how special and brilliant we are, and to have a dig at the Krauts.  Well, they're pissing all over us in the CV-19 stakes and generally being an enlightened, civilised country.

3. Boris might make a speech.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #37 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:15:05 pm »

1.The Tories have always hated the May Day BH, because it's about workers' rights

2. In this jingoistic Brexit climate it will be used as another reason to tell everyone how special and brilliant we are, and to have a dig at the Krauts.  Well, they're pissing all over us in the CV-19 stakes and generally being an enlightened, civilised country.

Boris doesn't make speeches. He merely stumbles into a group of occasionally oversized words and a fight breaks out. He's the closing time pub car park of oration. Leave him alone Darren, he's not worth it.

« Reply #38 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:16:31 pm »

I am not sure it would be wise where I am to be celebrating Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill's achievement given what Stalin did to eastern Europe for the following 50+ years.

I've always loved that photo from Yalta. You can see in Churchill's expression that he knows that the UKs time as a world super power is over and that the US and the USSR are the future. Its a pity that most of the Tory Party haven't realised this yet 75 years on.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:18:11 pm »
Hmm, you've got me wondering now. I don't remember anything special for the 40th but was it D Day 50 or VE Day 50 I'm remembering spending in the St James? I think it was summer, so probably D Day. Could have been either really.

(So what were we being distracted from in 1994/5?(!))

« Reply #40 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:18:28 pm »

Boris doesn't make speeches. He merely stumbles into a group of occasionally oversized words and a fight breaks out. He's the closing time pub car park of oration. Leave him alone Darren, he's not worth it.

Ought that not be "Leave it Dom! He's not worth it"

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:20:45 pm »

I am not sure it would be wise where I am to be celebrating Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill's achievement given what Stalin did to eastern Europe for the following 50+ years.

I've always loved that photo from Yalta. You can see in Churchill's expression that he knows that the UKs time as a world super power is over and that the US and the USSR are the future. Its a pity that most of the Tory Party haven't realised this yet 75 years on.
I reckon he's thinking "Four hours so far and not so much as a glass of sherry."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #42 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:33:32 pm »
While FDR and Uncle Joe are engaged in a smug contest.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #43 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:37:27 pm »
I'm not really sure why we are 'celebrating' it.

Two world wars and one world cup...Victory over Europe.

https://twitter.com/Frederika_R/status/1258281394012401670?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

EDIT and the daily Nazi comerative coin offer too.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #44 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:56:13 pm »

Ben T

« Reply #45 on: 07 May, 2020, 11:29:37 pm »

Boris.... Only ever..... Speaks..... Collections..... Of words..... That are.... Only.... Loosely..... Punctually..... Connected...... To each..... Other.... Like..... He's...... Having to...... Think...... Very..... Carefully...... About..... The Legal..... And political ..... Ramifications...... Of each..... One

« Reply #46 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:00:44 am »

I think a lot of people don't understand the difference between this and the Thursday night clapping.
I am absolutely convinced that there is a considerable subsection of the population that seriously believes that England (yes, England) won the second World War single handed.
Their knowledge of the reasons for the war, and the contribution of the allies, and of -'empire' forces is almost certainly next to zero.
To many of this subsection (a subset of the subsection) the war is nothing more than a victory at a game of footie.
It was us wot won it, innit.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #47 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:33:59 am »
Last year on my way through I visited the place in Reims where the surrender was signd (on the 7th May 1945). Fittingly it's now an international school.

For the sake of accuracy check mate was on 

4 May 1945 1830 British Double Summer Time at Lüneburg Heath, south of Hamburg, Field Marshal Sir Bernard Law Montgomery accepted the unconditional surrender of the German forces in the Netherlands, northwest Germany including all islands, in Denmark and all naval ships in those areas. The surrender preceded the end of World War II in Europe and was signed in a carpeted tent at Montgomery's headquarters on the Timeloberg hill at Wendisch Evern.

The end of the Second World War saw a terrible explosion of violence across Europe. Prisoners murdered jailers. Soldiers visited atrocities on civilians. Resistance fighters killed and pilloried collaborators. Ethnic cleansing, civil war, rape and murder were rife in the days, months and years after hostilities ended. Exploring a Europe consumed by vengeance, Savage Continent is a shocking portrait of an until-now unacknowledged time of lawlessness and terror.

Those who built what is now the EU knew the consequences of its failure.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #48 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:35:04 am »

I am absolutely convinced that there is a considerable subsection of the population that seriously believes that England (yes, England) won the second World War single handed.
Their knowledge of the reasons for the war, and the contribution of the allies, and of -'empire' forces is almost certainly next to zero.
To many of this subsection (a subset of the subsection) the war is nothing more than a victory at a game of footie.
It was us wot won it, innit.
Quite probably a similar proportion of USAninnnies think they won he war, and of Japanese think they were very badly treated.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #49 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:59:41 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52574748

Berlin has a one off holiday, to celebrate liberation.
It is simpler than it looks.